New 20 Gallon Fishless Cycling - Substrate From Established Tank

jwde2009

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just started a fishless cycle in my new tropical 20 gallon yesterday and dosed it to 3 ppm for ammonia. I just realized this morning that I have access to what I assume is a cycled goldfish tank at work! Of course I would test the water before adding, but could I add a cup of water from this established tank to speed up the cycling process? Also, could I add some of this gravel to a 1.5 gallon Betta tank with 2ppm ammonia, .25 nitrite, and 0 nitrate? I started his tank before I knew about cycling but he'll be much happier in the 20 gallon when it's ready!! Any idea on how much gravel to borrow?

jwde2009

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So how would I go about doing that? And would it speed it up significantly? I'm worried about messing up the calculations with having dosed the amkonam already .

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
jwde2009 said:
So how would I go about doing that? And would it speed it up significantly? I'm worried about messing up the calculations with having dosed the amkonam already .
Just take a bit of media out of your established filter and place it in the new one. If using cartridges, put a new cartidge behind the old one, wait for a week or two, and then put the OLD one in the NEW filter. You could also cut a piece off the old one and place it in the new filter.

jwde2009

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So when people say a piece of the media what does that mean? Other than cutting a piece off it sounds like I would have to use the entire media because it's all one big piece attached to a plastic holder . For reference the established tank looks a 95 gallon and has an emperor 400 filter while my new tank that is reading 2ppm ammonia is the 20 gallon aqueon kit with the quiet flow filter .

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
jwde2009 said:
So when people say a piece of the media what does that mean? Other than cutting a piece off it sounds like I would have to use the entire media because it's all one big piece attached to a plastic holder . For reference the established tank looks a 95 gallon and has an emperor 400 filter while my new tank that is reading 2ppm ammonia is the 20 gallon aqueon kit with the quiet flow filter .
You could take a cartridge or sponge for the new filter and just stick it in the established filter for a couple of weeks. Voila, instant cycle for the new tank.

jwde2009

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So about two weeks should be good? I can do this tomorrow!! I was willing to wait the 30+ days to cycle wuwi ammonia but if I can speed it up that would be awesome! I've been worried about the ammonia levels in my 1.5g Betta tank so I'm looking forward to getting him in a healthy ans cycled 20g tank!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
jwde2009 said:
So about two weeks should be good? I can do this tomorrow!! I was willing to wait the 30+ days to cycle wuwi ammonia but if I can speed it up that would be awesome! I've been worried about the ammonia levels in my 1.5g Betta tank so I'm looking forward to getting him in a healthy ans cycled 20g tank!
2-3 weeks in an established filter should give the new media enough bacteria to help jump start your cycle. Keeping it in for a month would be even better.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im assuming youre using the charcoal cartridges that say youre supposed to replace them, yeah? If so, its not that hard. Put another cartridge in the filter cocked sideways next to it. After a couple weeks take out the OLD one and put it in the NEW tank.

jwde2009

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to put my filter behind the filter on the established aquarium (as in closer to the wall and further from flow into the tank, right?) After a couple of weeks I'll take the OLD filter and put it in my new aquarium with a NEW filter. I'll do the same thing for a 5 gallon quarantine tank I'll set up. Thanks for the help all!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom