New 20 gal tank

seifersan

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
3
Location
franklin, tn
Experience
2 years
so I just purchased a new 20 gal tank. I was considering taking one of the filters off my 36 gal tank and putting it on my new tank and installing the new filter on my established tank. any thoughts? will that be enough to cycle my new tank?

I use the silentstream 30 or 40 for my established tank
 

TucanSam

Active Member
Member
Messages
266
Reaction score
139
Location
MICHIGAN
Experience
1 year
That should work fine for cycling your tank. How long has it been running on the 36 though?

A few months? It takes a bit to build up a colony, but as long as it's been running for a while your plan sounds fine.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
S

seifersan

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
3
Location
franklin, tn
Experience
2 years
TucanSam said:
That should work fine for cycling your tank. How long has it been running on the 36 though?

A few months? It takes a bit to build up a colony, but as long as it's been running for a while your plan sounds fine.
I think I got it about 8 months ago. somewhere around there.
 

Danny002

Well Known
Member
Messages
510
Reaction score
332
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
I would take half the media out of the established filter, and put it in the new filter, then restock the old filter with whatever you use. I would be concerned about putting the new filter on your old tank, as most of the bacteria lives in the filter, so putting a new filter on it with totally new media could basically restart your cycle (as far as I know). Also, whatever filter you're using for your 20 gallon may not be enough to properly filter your 36.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
S

seifersan

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
3
Location
franklin, tn
Experience
2 years
Danny002 said:
I would take half the media out of the established filter, and put it in the new filter, then restock the old filter with whatever you use. I would be concerned about putting the new filter on your old tank, as most of the bacteria lives in the filter, so putting a new filter on it with totally new media could basically restart your cycle (as far as I know). Also, whatever filter you're using for your 20 gallon may not be enough to properly filter your 36.
sorry I should have been more specific. my 36 gallon runs with 2 filters. so I would temporarily move one to the new tank and put the new filter on the established tank with another filter.

I'm guessing it would be best to put the whole filter in the new tank and not just swap the media out. they use the same size filters.
 

Danny002

Well Known
Member
Messages
510
Reaction score
332
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
seifersan said:
sorry I should have been more specific. my 36 gallon runs with 2 filters. so I would temporarily move one to the new tank and put the new filter on the established tank with another filter.

I'm guessing it would be best to put the whole filter in the new tank and not just swap the media out. they use the same size filters.
Oh okay, then yes your original plan should work fine, I'd give it a month or two just to be sure you've got plenty of bacteria built up in there.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
S

seifersan

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
3
Location
franklin, tn
Experience
2 years
Danny002 said:
Oh okay, then yes your original plan should work fine, I'd give it a month or two just to be sure you've got plenty of bacteria built up in there.
would I be okay to start putting plants and fish in about a week after? also ive been thinking about getting some plants for this. what are some good options for gravel substrate? I don't mind buying a better light if necessary but wouldnt care to do much more for them.
 

Danny002

Well Known
Member
Messages
510
Reaction score
332
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
seifersan said:
would I be okay to start putting plants and fish in about a week after? also ive been thinking about getting some plants for this. what are some good options for gravel substrate? I don't mind buying a better light if necessary but wouldnt care to do much more for them.
The plants will be fine right away. Either fluval stratum (there are cheaper options available but most people prefer fluval) or sand with root tabs. You could probably go ahead and put the fish in later that day, as most of the bacteria will probably die off in a week without an ammonia source (but you could always dose it with ammonia if you're more comfortable with that).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
S

seifersan

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
3
Location
franklin, tn
Experience
2 years
Danny002 said:
The plants will be fine right away. Either fluval stratum (there are cheaper options available but most people prefer fluval) or sand with root tabs. You could probably go ahead and put the fish in later that day, as most of the bacteria will probably die off in a week without an ammonia source (but you could always dose it with ammonia if you're more comfortable with that).
so the gravel I got wouldnt be good for plants? I can maybe go back and swap it out
 

Danny002

Well Known
Member
Messages
510
Reaction score
332
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
seifersan said:
so the gravel I got wouldnt be good for plants? I can maybe go back and swap it out
It may be if you add the root tabs, just make sure you stay on top of the gravel vacuuming! Or you could go a different route and try to get mostly plants that feed out of the water column. Honestly, I just picked my plants at random and picked up some liquid ferts (both from my LFS) and they've been doing just fine, so since you've already got your gravel and everything, you could just go the same route I did.
 

TucanSam

Active Member
Member
Messages
266
Reaction score
139
Location
MICHIGAN
Experience
1 year
seifersan said:
so the gravel I got wouldnt be good for plants? I can maybe go back and swap it out
It highly depends on what plants you get. Some do best in certain substrates. There are a lot of plants that do well in gravel though. Just be sure to research which ones will work for you. Anubias has thrived in a gravel tank at my moms house before.

If you do gravel vacuuming, be sure to try and avoid any areas where plants would be. Disturbing the roots is a bad thing, and any food or waste that drops in between the cracks usually turns into food for them. If you want to heavily plant, I'd go sand or some other substrate. Blasting sand is nice if you like the black color and is usually cheaper than sand/has nutrients for plants in it already. Black diamond blasting sand will be my go-to plant substrate from here on.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
273
Guests online
3,383
Total visitors
3,656

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom