new 20 gal tall tank

Downward Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
hello!

I recently posted that I'm setting up a new (used) 20 gal tall tank to upgrade my fishes who are currently in a 10 gal.

I'm wondering if I need to get an extension tube for the intake tube on the filter? The bottom of the tube doesn't even reach halfway down the tank.

Also, because this is a 20 gal Tall, does that mean that it can't keep as many fish as a regular 20 gal wider tank because of the smaller water surface area?

Thanks!
~Lenore

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you are still using the aqua tech 5-15, thats not going to be big enough for a 20g tall tank no matter how long the intake tube is you need a bigger filter .....and yes the taller tanks make for a smaller swimspace if the fish are horizontal swimmers .....congrats on the new tank !!!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi neighbor!
Sorry, the new tank came with an AquaClear 200... should the intake tube reach below halfway?
wow another NH member!! im excited lol
that filter will do much more.,..and if it were me, id get the extension to at least go down a bit past halfway

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi neighbor!
Sorry, the new tank came with an AquaClear 200... should the intake tube reach below halfway?
The AC50 (200) is perfect for the tank - it's what I use on mine. Yes, an extension tube or two is a good idea....i think they cost like $2 a piece.

Craig-D

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd suggest extending the tube as far down as you can go. The reason I don't like HOB filters is because the clean water return from the filter is just above the intake, thus causing some of the intake water to be the same clean water just returned to the tank - not an ideal setup. Ideally, you want your intake and return to be on opposite sides of the tank - something just not possible in a HOB. So at least make them as vertically far away from each other as you can. The closer you get your intake to the substrate, the better, because that's where the least oxygenated water is that needs to be recirculated the most.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats one of the reasons I like the emperor filters - the outflow shoots the water out away from the filter. That being said, ACs are still the best HOB IMO.

Downward Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks!

Thought of another question: while I'm cycling the new tank without fish, do I have to heat it? I'd like not to have to buy a new heater...

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That depends on the ambient air temp. Most likely, no. The nitrobacter (nitrite bacteria) does have a harder time multiplying at lower temps than the nitrosonamas (ammonia bacteria), but that's with water in the 60's. A warmer tank does speed up the growth a little, to a point. I believe that the point is in the upper 80's

As long as your house is a normal temp, you're fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom