New 20-30 gallon tank ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by trijohn, Dec 7, 2012.

1. t

trijohn Valued Member Member

Hi all.
    I'm going to be starting a new tank in a few months, thinking about a 20-30 gallon long. And what I would like to put in there are either smaller cichlids (Rams?) or multiple kinds of tetras.
    Would it be possible to have sharks in this range of tank sizes? I'm not sure what kind of sharks they are, but the last time I was at the store, there were fish with long, navy blue bodies, and red fins. I'm thinking they were either bala or red tail sharks.

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sharks are too big, but a pair of rams and would be fine. :)

3. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

In a 20 gallon, you could probably do a pair of rams, and either 2 schools of tetras, or 1 school of tetra, and some bottom feeders like cories :)

In a 30, you'd be able to add another school.

4. OP
    OP
    t

trijohn Valued Member Member

Ok. Could I have African cichlids like Kribs or shelldwellers in the same range of tank size?
    Figured out the sharks I was talking are red tails.

5. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Red tails get quite big and quite aggressive. They are great fish but just not for your size.

Most cichlids are bigger than your standard tetras and cories. You wouldn't get many in a 20gal at all.

6. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

7. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

They stay small but aren't recommended for community tanks. Species only tanks. But they should be ok in your twenty

8. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

A red tail (or any other shark) would get too big for a 30 gallon, most need at least 55 gallons.

You could do quite a few shellies in even a 20 gallon if you wanted; it would have to be a species only tank, for the most part.

Personally, I don't like kribs much. They aren't the friendliest dwarf cichlids, though some have succeeded in keeping them in a community setup (myself not included).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice