new 15 gallon tank

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well endlers it is then... what sort of shrimps should i get to go with them?
i have only ever kept amano shrimp before and dont really know about any others...

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The shrimp itself is really up to you, the come in a variety of colors and such. But just keep in mind I'm not sure around you but cardinal tetras are usually harder to find and they will also get much larger than neons. They like to be in big groups so personally I would go with 3 or so endlers then 6 neons and then some shrimp.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i just got a lot of ghost shrimp yesterday. they are so hilarious. jumping and swimming. however, since ghost shrimp are mainly sold as feeders, a lot of stores don't take great care of them....because they are going to die anyway.

i had 3 die last night .i read that anyone can expect to lose a few, or a lot in the first few weeks. i know you said you have amano shrimp......and i think most of the care rules apply to different kinds of most shrimp.

ps. i was really wanting to get cherry shrimp, but when i saw they were 6 dollars for one! i wasn't sure. so i got the ghosties for my first shrimp. but the cherries are a pretty color, though ghosties are a little bigger.

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have bought cherry shrimp twice before, 6 at a time and 6 orange shrimp.
none of them lasted longer than a week =[. I dont know why though because they went into the tank with platy fry and amano shrimp in. Would the amano shrimp eat other shrimp?
But i have had the amano shrimp for about 2 years now and not one had died.
In the fish shop near me cherries are £5 for 6!!

about the endlers and neons, i already have 5 neons in my 50 gallon so i will get 3 endlers and move the neons from the 50 gallon to the 15 gallon.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have two more dead this a.m. i guess maybe ghosties and cherries aren't too hardy. i dunno. i read they can be. i don't know if anyone has amano shrimp....but perhaps i should try those.

i don't know if amano would eat others. perhaps if they were dead....but i can't imagine they'd kill a cherry. it's disappointing. i really wanted the shrimp to work out.

so yeah....get 3 males endlers and you'll be set with your neons. and you could get a nerite snail. they are fun to watch also. plus they don't get as big as mystery, and can't breed in freshwater.

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry about your ghost shrimp. Ive never had any of them before so i dont know anthing about them.
Also i have found a good website for shrimps (http://www.planetinverts.com/)
I want to get some blue tiger shrimp or some crystal red shrimp.

wow i was reading about glass shrimp and it says they are super cheap. that website says 12 for $1. thats like 15 for £1.50?
i could buy like 20 instead of more expensive ones and then get some plants and driftwood to make the tank look good
but with that many i would have to leave the neons in the 50 gallon :-\

but it says that many of them die within a few weeks

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes i do go to planetinverts and planetcatfish for info. i'm not sure, but i think they crystal red shrimp are harder to take care of? and the blue tiger expensive? i don't know. it'd be nice to find some kind that wasn't too much money, but wasn't hard to keep. ya know? :-\

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well the link from that web site was selling crystal reds for $115 for 9.
The fish store was selling 6 for £25, and blue bee shrimp or blue tiger shrimp (i dont know which) for 6 for £10.
I dont know why they are so cheap, maybe not as good grade of colour?
Well i think ill get some blue shrimp, ninja shrimp or ghost shrimp.
The ninja shrimp can change colour! But ive never seen them for sale before.

If i was going to get lots of shrimp and maybe start to sell some of the more expensive ones i could make a shrimp only tank. Then there would be no risk to the shrimp from fish.
And you can get more than 1 per gallon because they are much cleaner.
Do you know how many shrimp would fit in 15 gallons?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well the guy at the lfs sold me like 12 ghost, which i thought was waaay too many for a 2.5g. i think he was thinking a high die-off would happen.

i've noticed some light fighting among them, so i think i really should have had maybe 6. so in a 15g.....you can obviously have more if you want.....but you have to think about them reproducing....which i'm not sure about with the ones you are talking about.

i'm trying to picture how many shrimp could go in my 10g....i'd probably want 12. so maybe you'd want 15-20 in yours? again, i'm not sure though. i think the problem with having a lot isn't really too much bio-load, but them fighting and overpopulating.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jerilovesfrogs said:
i think the problem with having a lot isn't really too much bio-load, but them fighting and overpopulating.
They aren't going to overpopulate. They'll be picked off by fish. Also, the population will grow to meet the food supply. They will not grow in numbers if food is scarce.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jaysee said:
They aren't going to overpopulate. They'll be picked off by fish. Also, the population will grow to meet the food supply. They will not grow in numbers if food is scarce.
so what if the fish he has aren't going to eat them? as in the fish are too small to fit the shrimp in their mouths. so how do you know if the food is scarce or not? what amount of food is too much, or too little?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jerilovesfrogs said:
so what if the fish he has aren't going to eat them? as in the fish are too small to fit the shrimp in their mouths. so how do you know if the food is scarce or not? what amount of food is too much, or too little?
They will...shrimp are at the bottom of the food chain. I'm not saying they'll all be eaten, but the growth of the colony will be limited. Inverts are regularly volnerable to even the smallest fish when they molt. Even though the fishs mouths may be small, the shell of the invert is soft and provides no protection. How many will survive is largely determined by the quality of the hiding spaces they have. A good example - one of my bettas ate a dwarf crayfish because the cave I gave the cray was not small enough to keep the betta out. The betta didn;t swallow the cray, but tore it to pieces.

Feeding can be hard, because there are many mouths that will eat the food before the shrimp....or might eat the shrimp instead of the food. And a trap that's easily to fall in is to overfeed in order to MAKE SURE everyone eats. An advantage of that is that the fish will be stuffed and will care less about the shrimp. However, overfeeding is one of the worst things you can do to you tank.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the shrimp are in their own tank, there;s nothing to worry about - that's why most keep them in a species tank.

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thats what i was thinking of doing, having a species tank because the shrimp i want are tiny and i dont want them getting eaten.
also none will go hungry because i feed them vegetables and shrimp pellets .
so if i start with 6-10 shrimp. that will give them plenty of room for baby shrimp.
also what hiding places and plants do shrimps like?
i have some driftwood and i am going to get some more and i have some mossy stuff which i am trying to grow. will they be ok?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes 6-10 will give you room for more babies. i have sand substrate, which i thik they like...and they can make their little burrows. i also have two rocks, with a little piece of slate on top, so it makes a little cave.

i also have a wad a java moss, is this the moss you have? they like to climb on it and hang out. i'm not too sure about driftwood. are you talking about fake, or real? if real, i'm not sure what you have to do with it before putting it in. i think fake would be fine....i'm not sure if they "need" real.

which kind of shrimp are you getting? two more of the ghost went down last night.....

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
they sell rocks in the fish shop so i will get 2 and try to make a cave as well.
the drifwood that i have is real not fake and it is cured before you buy it.
i think that i have got java moss but only a tiny amount so i need to try and grow it... i bought it growing on a piece of driftwood but it didn't last long.
Is there a way to make the moss grow really quickly?

Sorry to hear about your glass shrimp, i am thinking of getting either crystal red shrimp or blue bee/tiger shrimp.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
....aren't "shrimp pellets" made out of shrimp? I'm pretty sure those are used to feed fish that eat shirmp. I really don't think feeding shrimp other shrimp is a good idea but I really don't know haha sorry I just thought about that.

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh, i dont know!
i went to the pet shop and asked for some food to feed my shrimp and that is what they gave me.
they eat it all though. they are small pellets so the shrimp can grab them and hold onto them. so i put 5 in per day, 1 per shrimp.

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow tom5678!!! You should feel special! I have not seeing a thread this looong in quite a while!!!!
hey, is your "christmas dog" a shorthaired pointer?...it looks like mine!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom