new 15 gallon tank

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well that was a lot of posts for one day
im not too bothered about cories so i will just get the rasboras and something else.
maybe some endler guppies?
i like them but ive never had any before...

i have just read about endler guppies and it says that they have lots of fry.
would that be the same as platies and swordtails or more?
also i know that they are quite small so how many endlers would fit in my 15 gallon?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i would get 2 male endlers, 5 cherry barbs (2m/3f) and 6 neons. that would make for a bright and active tank with movement at all levels. the cherry barbs wont nip, and by keeping two males with 3 females theyll always be in breeding color, which for males is a deep, bright red. theyll make the red of the neons even brighter. add a black background and the colors of those fish will be fantastic! add black sand and LOOK OUT!

oh, and IMO corys need a 30" tank.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Folks let's keep in mind that everyone has different opinions and that is why we're here is to share them.

People have different stocking options and different stocking ideas. The best that we can do is try and provide a guideline for inexperienced members.

Yes, Cory's do like to be in groups of 5 or more, however, I've had great success with fewer numbers. Not only do we have to take into consideration the fishes needs and happiness, we also have to think of the well being of the tank over all. I like a community tank to have top, middle and bottom feeders and this can be done even in smaller tanks by going fewer in numbers per species.

Which weighs heavier, keeping Cory's in groups of 5 or more to keep them happy in a large tank or having fewer Cory's in a smaller community tank to keep the bottom free of excess food? I think it's a fine line here and should be up to each individual tank and the tanks needs. I know not everyone is going to be able to house 5 or 6 Cory's yet they are still needed to serve the purpose of bottom feeding.

We all want to do what is best for our fish, but we have to take into consideration what is best for our tanks as well.

Ken

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wouldnt 5 cherry barbs, 6 neons and 3 endlers be too much for a 15 gallon tank?

i was thinking maybe 2 male endlers and 3 or 4 females and then some shrimps.
i really like the amano shrimp, i have 5 in my 5 gallon tank and they climb to the top of the tank and take food from my hand
also my platy fry eat the shrimp larvae so its like free food

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree with Ken. Due to circumstances that changed recently, I have 4 cories in my tank. They have always been happy, healthy, active, swimming all over the tank, top, bottom, chasing each other, hiding in my decor, chilling out at the front, middle, back. I was worried at first, but they all seem to be going great, even surviving a bout of ICH & a mini cycle. It can work, but not generally advisable. In the end it's your tank, only you can make the decisions.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With livebearers if you have females its a good bet to be prepared to deal with fry, unless you want to just let them recycle the babies, I don't have the heart for it personally

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
no i have seperate tanks for my platy and swordtail fry. Thats why i want females so i can have endler fry.
do many fish shops buy fry back if you dont have any room?

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
how big do they have to be?
about the size they are when you buy them?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so tigerfishy.....you have 4 corys in a 15g? and you said they have been happy and been healthy. and it's been working well. hmmmm. so.......

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just because it has worked for someone doesn't mean it's reccomended in all cases. Like the poster who said that it is your tank so ultimatly it is your choice. I just don't reccomend just because it's worked for one person. That's just like this guy came in and was reccomending to put pirahnas with oscars. He said he had them like that and they did fine.

But back to the topic I was actually going to post about haha, side tracked from a comment kinda sneared at me. But many LFS will take fry in when they're around the size of that breed of fish that they sell. But also keep in mind if they already have an abundance of that particular fish then they probably won't take them in. Most LFS that I've noticed won't buy livebearer fry anyways since they're so common and easy to breed. At the store I work at kids will come in with a ziplock full of babies and say "uh my fishies had babys" and give them to us and then just leave.

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
so they will take the fry for free usualy?
well if it was to get so bad that i had no room then my gouramis would have a feast
does anyone know a good colourful fish that would go well with a blue tiger shrimp?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah on occasion some of them will pay you like a 1/3 of what they can sell it for.

Basically if you want your tank revolved around shrimp then just pick stuff out that can't fit them in their mouths.

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ok
so neons, endlers and other small fish will be fine?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i saw endlers yesterday, they are very pretty. the males that is. i think the females are more dull. and i saw cardinal tetras that were also nice looking....and i believe they are less sensitive than neons.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom