new 15 gallon tank

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hi
i have just set up my 15 gallon tank and i have left it for 2 weeks.
i am not sure what fish to put into it though. i was thinking possibly some sort of catfish or pleco and my 2 bolivain rams.... would that be ok?

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not sure about catfish, but from what I've read, Bolivian Rams should be kept in trios. I don't have any of these fish so someone else who keeps them can help you better.

As far as having a pleco, you'd definitely want to stick with a Bristlenose Pleco because they should stay between 4-6 inches.

Good Luck

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think 15 gallons is not big enough for any pleco. Even a BN is recommended in a minimum of 20 gallons.

Once your tank is well-established (cycled for at least a few months), you could consider otocinclus catfish.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi.....well setting up and leaving for two weeks isn't going to get it cycled.....unless you have, i don't know. i'd say no to the pleco too. i don' tknow about the rams.

you could do a small group, like 3 or 4 julii corys, and a honey gourami? or you could have the corys and maybe 5 galaxy rasboras. they are only about 1 inch.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Tom.

From what I've read from your aquarium info, you're not sure of your ammonia and nitrite readings? And you don't see any color for your nitrate readings? I'd kindly advise that you identify and know your readings so to know if your tank is cycled or not. I think some LFS do provide water reading testing where you bring your tank water to them and they'll test it for you if you don't have your own test kit at a price or sometimes FOC. But I'd advise that you get your own test kit if you don't already have one.

About your stocking list, you could go with 2 schools of tetras or a school of tetras and a Dwarf Gourami?

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i am going to get a test kit in the next few weeks so i will do all of the tests then and update the info on here.
also i just got 2 bolivian rams about a week ago now and they are doing well in my 50 gallon tank.
the 15 gallon tank is cycled because i filled it 3/4 of the way with water from other tanks then did water changes every few days.
i might get some more corys but i already have 4 of them in my fry tank.
is there anything that looks like a pleco as in the same shape but stays smaller? i dont really want anything the size of a bristle nose because my one in the 50 gallon tank used to be in the 15 and he wasnt happy =[
would barbs be ok instead of rasboras because they are usually more colourful?
thanks for all replies

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi tom....well i personally like galaxy and harlequin rasboras because they are peaceful. barbs can be nippy. maybe razzys aren't super colorful, but they are pretty in a school. imo.

also, just adding tank water from other tanks isn't going to cycle your 15g. you would have to take some media from one, and put it in the 15 with some fish......and usually that will give you an instant cycle. but you'd have to stay on top of testing to be sure.

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hara Jerdoni look loke plecos, get to only 1 inch, but if you wnat them make sure you have plenty of plants and hiding places because they're kind've shy. Also, what substrate do you have??

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nitrifying bacteria normally doesn't float around in the water, so adding water from a cycled tank generally does not cycle it. If you had some filter media from othe tanks, this may speed up the cycle a bit, but still doesn't mean you're finished cycling. Anyways, you'll still have to add an ammonia source to the 15 gallon, assuming there are no fish in it.

I would advise you to get an API Master Test Kit or similar liquid test as soon as possible. Then, tell us the readings. From the looks of it, since you have no color for Nitrate yet, I assume that the tank isn't finished cycling yet, since Nitrates are caused by the development of the Nitrobacter bacteria. Please click on the link in my signature and read carefully about the Nitrogen Cycle.

Is the 50 gallon with the Bolivian rams cycled? Do not transfer them or any other fish into the 15 gallon, because an uncycled tank is hazardous to a fish's health, and, in the case of delicate fish like the rams, can effectively kill them.

And don't always trust the readings your LFS gives you, just in case they are lying and trying to get you to buy fish earlier. Or at least make sure they go through the right procedure, then read the tests yourself.

About the stocking, most bottom feeders (corys and other catfish, loaches, etc.) don't do well with rams, especially in a small tank like yours. Rams will stay near the bottom, and are rather territorial, being cichlids.

A small school of tetras such as neons or glowlights, and a honey gourami at the top will be nice.

Good luck!

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i already have some plants in the tank which i have moved from my other tanks.
also i put some apple snails in there and they are doing very well. they are much more active than they were and thier shells seem to be a deeper yellow than they were.
with the fish i think that i will get some of the galaxy rasboras and maybe some julii corys because they are the ones that i have in my 10 gallon.
i dont think that i will get any more plecos though becuase i never even see mine but the corys swim about more.
so would juliis and galaxy rasboras be fine in a 15gallon and how many of each?
the substrate is very fine sand.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have galaxy rasboras, they are very pretty.....6 in a 20g....it's a good number...but i'd get more if i could. they are about 1inch fish.....so you can get a school with no problem. so are you thinking 3 corys? and about 5-6 galaxy? that would put you at the limit. what filter are you having? hopefully you're going with more than less.

i don't think sand is a problem with corys.....i'm not def sure though. i know they can't take a lot of rough substrate.

tom5678

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
that is what i was thinking.
its a really fine sand so i think they should be fine.
which corys would be best?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well i know when i have been looking at different types of corys (probably will be getting some tomorrow!), pandas are very cute, but pretty sensitive....so i'd say no. you could do albino, peppered, julii/fale julii, agassiz corys......maybe bronze corys....though i don't know very much about those. but it would be better to choose only one kind....not one of each.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Almost all catfish and all plecos are much too large for a 15 gallon tank.

tom5678 said:
that is what i was thinking.
its a really fine sand so i think they should be fine.
which corys would be best?
Corys need atleast a 20 gallon tank and they need to be in large groups.

jerilovesfrogs said:
well i know when i have been looking at different types of corys (probably will be getting some tomorrow!), pandas are very cute, but pretty sensitive....so i'd say no. you could do albino, peppered, julii/fale julii, agassiz corys......maybe bronze corys....though i don't know very much about those. but it would be better to choose only one kind....not one of each.
Just fyi because I have noticed you've posted this on a couple different threads now corys need 20 gallons of water and need to be in groups of around 6 or more. Most of them get around 2.5 inches as well which makes them too large for tanks that are smaller than 20 gallons. They are also very active so they need many places to swim and play. To give you some further information as I see you're interested in getting some, they do not like salt at all and they prefer soft water.

Now if you do research corys you will notice it says they're fine in at min 10 gallons. Well yes that is plenty big enough for one but like I said before they are happiest and do best in big groups of around 6. I think we will all agree that 6 full grown corys are way too large for a 10 gallon.

Just to give you an idea of how fast they do grow I currently have 6 panda corys in my 50 gallon and I bought them all when they were about 3/4 of an inch or so. Now all of them are pushing 2 inches and I've only had them a month or so.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
e_watson09 said:
Almost all catfish and all plecos are much too large for a 15 gallon tank.

Corys need atleast a 20 gallon tank and they need to be in large groups.

Just fyi because I have noticed you've posted this on a couple different threads now corys need 20 gallons of water and need to be in groups of around 6 or more. Most of them get around 2.5 inches as well which makes them too large for tanks that are smaller than 20 gallons. They are also very active so they need many places to swim and play. To give you some further information as I see you're interested in getting some, they do not like salt at all and they prefer soft water.

Now if you do research corys you will notice it says they're fine in at min 10 gallons. Well yes that is plenty big enough for one but like I said before they are happiest and do best in big groups of around 6. I think we will all agree that 6 full grown corys are way too large for a 10 gallon.

Just to give you an idea of how fast they do grow I currently have 6 panda corys in my 50 gallon and I bought them all when they were about 3/4 of an inch or so. Now all of them are pushing 2 inches and I've only had them a month or so.
:shock: geez. ok. well i'm pretty sure i've seen others give the advice of a few corys in a 15g as well. and as for the salt thing, i don't use it. i'm not sure if the OP does or not.....but that's his choice i suppose. i was just stating what might work in a 15g. there aren't a lot of options. i wasn't really in need of any fyi's though

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jerilovesfrogs said:
:shock: geez. ok. well i'm pretty sure i've seen others give the advice of a few corys in a 15g as well. and as for the salt thing, i don't use it. i'm not sure if the OP does or not.....but that's his choice i suppose. i was just stating what might work in a 15g. there aren't a lot of options. i wasn't really in need of any fyi's though
I wasn't trying to be mean at all sorry if I came across that way. Just because you see someone else give advice about something doesn't make it the right thing to do. Yes corys could go in this tank they like big groups tho so 6 corys and your pretty close to fully stocked in a tank that size and most people don't want a tank full of corys

no one yell at me for saying this as we all know that you can't go by this you need more space per fish than this...

But the way I think about it is I start with the "inch per gallon rule" just to get an idea then I always know that is never enough space you need more per fish but okay if we were to follow that rule and we'll say 2" per cory. So that's 12 gal already taken up by corys. Then like I said before they need more space than that rule so 15 gallons would probably be great for just 6 corys.

That's the only reason I wanted to point it out to you because really reccomending something that in most cases won't work in a tank is not really needed. If the OP REALLY REALLY loved corys then have at it go for just corys but most people aren't. For new fish keepers it's best to reccomend less than what is actually stocked because how many new fish keepers do you know that don't want to push the limit just that little bit more?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi Tom,
I am inclined to agree that cories wouldn't be great in your tank. While you may be able to keep one ot two in a 10 gallon tank, they do much better and are much happier with a larger group of at least 6. They also play a lot and need horizontal swim space. I usually also recommend at least 20 gallons for them. There are pygmy cories. I asked an experienced fishkeeper once about pygmies in a 10 gallon, and was told that it doesn't really work either. Pygmies need to be in larger schools, and will actually die if their school is too small. So overall, my vote would be no cories.

And ahem... jeri and e_watson, this may make an interesting debate in its own thread.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu said:
Hi Tom,
I am inclined to agree that cories wouldn't be great in your tank. While you may be able to keep one ot two in a 10 gallon tank, they do much better and are much happier with a larger group of at least 6. They also play a lot and need horizontal swim space. I usually also recommend at least 20 gallons for them. There are pygmy cories. I asked an experienced fishkeeper once about pygmies in a 10 gallon, and was told that it doesn't really work either. Pygmies need to be in larger schools, and will actually die if their school is too small. So overall, my vote would be no cories.

And ahem... jeri and e_watson, this may make an interesting debate in its own thread.
Haha sorry I didn't actually mean to start a debate but more a kind of just let someone know type ordeal, I'd rather someone correct me than someone mistakenly get a fish that won't go with their tank from my advice. Plus I'm the kind of person that wants to learn about all types of fish and such so if no one corrects me I'd never learn anything new. So that's all I meant it wasn't a debate starter I just have respectfully disagreed with this user a couple times on this same topic and that's the only reason I actually directed it and told her they can't go in that small of a tank.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well tom, it looks like i may be wrong about the whole cory thing for your tank. i apologize for this......i honestly didn't think i was stating something that was that horribly off. well, when you're new at something, you've got to start at the beginning and gain knowledge....and make mistakes. and even if you're an "expert", you'll still make mistakes. i don't like to debate, or to be lectured.....i am sorry though for saying something that wasn't the best choice for your tank.

on the stocking, 6 galaxy rasboras and one honey gourami would be good. and maybe a nerite snail. they are pretty, and can't breed in freshwater....other than that, i'm not sure at the moment. ......

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jerilovesfrogs said:
well tom, it looks like i may be wrong about the whole cory thing for your tank. i apologize for this......i honestly didn't think i was stating something that was that horribly off. well, when you're new at something, you've got to start at the beginning and gain knowledge....and make mistakes. and even if you're an "expert", you'll still make mistakes. i don't like to debate, or to be lectured.....i am sorry though for saying something that wasn't the best choice for your tank.

on the stocking, 6 galaxy rasboras and one honey gourami would be good. and maybe a nerite snail. they are pretty, and can't breed in freshwater....other than that, i'm not sure at the moment. ......
We're all entitled to our own opinions based on our experience and research - that is the greatest thing about a public forum like this. The goal is to arm hobbyists with as much information as possible so we can do what we feel is right for our tanks.
I certainly don't mean to lecture - I was giving Tom my opinion and the reasons behind it. You talk about experts making mistakes - if those experts make mistakes and then pass along that knowledge to me (I am FAR from an expert), then it's a mistake that maybe I don't have to make.
As far as the cories, the care sheet agrees with you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom