New 125g Gold Fish Tank with 2 planted tanks as filters...HELP? I could use advice.

sailinship

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, I promise that I will keep posting pics and maybe even vids of this build. I have a 125 gallon tank that has holes drilled out of the bottom and two overflow boxes.

I have had tanks for a while now, I keep all dirt bottom planted tanks with simple lighting and no CO2. I have mostly 50g and larger, with another 125g that has been up and running for at least 6 years now. I keep all very simple tropical fish, usually some at each level, top, middle, bottom. I will post pics of my other tanks later.

I'll keep posting photos as I'm going along. I use to do plumbing. I'm not a plumber, I just worked side jobs and helped, but I understand how to work with PVC pretty well. HOWEVER, I could still use advice. I like to learn online, but I have not had luck finding information on what I'm planning. I want to have two tanks underneath this 125g, with plants and one motorized return pump. I show some photos of my plumbing ideas, where there are gaps between the fittings I will cut pipe. There are two overflow boxes. Each one will feed it's own planted tank underneath. I want to put the inlet pipe on top of the tank and have a return tube that goes to the pump feed from the bottom through, probably, a typical sponge filter. I use the very large ones with coarse sponge.

Attachments

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Look into how they setup sumps in salt water tanks. If i read correctly thats basically what your trying to do but with freshwater.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats a good idea! Are you going to keep fish in the planted tanks? If not, i recommend just packing it with java moss. Lots of surface area for bb and also will collect debris. It grows well in most light conditions and likes water flow.

OP
S

sailinship

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
david1978 said:
Look into how they setup sumps in salt water tanks. If i read correctly thats basically what your trying to do but with freshwater.
I did, but there set ups are SOOOOO different than what I am trying to do that I didn't exactly find it helpful. I learned some stuff, but, again, it's just very different.

OP
S

sailinship

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SnookusFish said:
Thats a good idea! Are you going to keep fish in the planted tanks? If not, i recommend just packing it with java moss. Lots of surface area for bb and also will collect debris. It grows well in most light conditions and likes water flow.
I will have some java, but I want actual dirt bottom planted tanks that look nice. I'll keep shrimp and maybe some small schools of fish in them.
The two tanks will be about 30-40 gallons each.

New Threads