New 125 tank ready!

Tamlibtoim

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just wanted to post a few pics of my new Aqueon 125 gallon tank, finally got the gravel, filter, heaters & decor set up.
Will be transferring my Oscar over from a 30g. My plans are to acquire another Oscar, probably an albino tiger. Then a clown loach and some other large species maybe one or two more fish, any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

Morpheus1967

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have the same setup. Looks great!

That's going to be a lot of fish, even in a 125. Have you ever housed oscars together before?

OP
Tamlibtoim

Tamlibtoim

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have in the past but not in a tank this large. So you feel two Oscars and 2/3 other fish would be overcrowded for this tank?

Morpheus1967

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't honestly say for sure. I know when I had my Oscar, I kept him alone in a 75 gallon tank. I just know it's hit or miss with their temperaments as to if they get along together.

Clown loaches are best kept in groups of 5 or more, so a single one would not be recommended.

I went to Aqua Advisor and plugged in a 125, 2 oscars and 5 loaches, and it said the stocking level with just those fish is 141%. Take away the loaches and the 2 oscars put you at 70%. Not saying it can't be done, as I have no idea your maintenance schedule lol. Just food for thought.

kallililly1973 , yes. That is a Petsmart combo.

OP
Tamlibtoim

Tamlibtoim

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, it is the one from Pet-Smart. It seems to be a popular combo as I see a lot of people mentioning they have the same. Thanks for the tip on Aqua Advisor, will definitely check that out!

kcopper

Reaction score
Morpheus1967 said:
I can't honestly say for sure. I know when I had my Oscar, I kept him alone in a 75 gallon tank. I just know it's hit or miss with their temperaments as to if they get along together.

Clown loaches are best kept in groups of 5 or more, so a single one would not be recommended.

I went to Aqua Advisor and plugged in a 125, 2 oscars and 5 loaches, and it said the stocking level with just those fish is 141%. Take away the loaches and the 2 oscars put you at 70%. Not saying it can't be done, as I have no idea your maintenance schedule lol. Just food for thought.

kallililly1973 , yes. That is a Petsmart combo.
I don't put any faith in those calculators. Take your average african cichlid tank and you will blow those numbers away. It all comes down to how much maintenance you are willing to do. I do 50% water changes ever 4-5 days so I am able to keep my tank quite heavily stocked. If you want a 30% change every two weeks, then yes, you really need to watch your stocking levels.

Morpheus1967

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kcopper said:
I don't put any faith in those calculators. Take your average african cichlid tank and you will blow those numbers away. It all comes down to how much maintenance you are willing to do. I do 50% water changes ever 4-5 days so I am able to keep my tank quite heavily stocked. If you want a 30% change every two weeks, then yes, you really need to watch your stocking levels.
Thus my caveat in regards to not knowing his maintenance schedule.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
May I make a suggestion for your tank? I would recommend getting one or two feather fin catfish. They are super fun to keep and look very cool when fully grown. Keep us updated!

OP
Tamlibtoim

Tamlibtoim

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for all the recommendations! The Featherfin looks really neat!

New Threads