Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,

For my new planted tank I am only stocking one species of schooling fish. I may eventually add a small catfish species, but the schooling fish will be the main show. I plan to have 25-35 fish in the school.

In your experience what are some of the tightest schooling fish? From what I have read a lot of people claim that rummy nose tetras shoal really tight.

I am open to any and all ideas as long as the fish is fairly common due to price.

Right now I am considering:
Rummy nose Tetra
Black Skirt Tetra
Harq. Rasboras

Thanks
Aaron

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
People here have often said their harlequin rasboras school really tightly. I don't have them personally, I'm just going off what I've read here.

There's always neon tetras, they're really tight too.

-Lisa

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Keep in mind that schooling is a form of self defense. Just because they are labeled as a schooling fish doesn't mean they will always remain that tight of a group. If they feel comfortable in their environment every fish may go it's own direction you just never know.

I've always loved Cardinal Tetras but haven't ever owned any.

Ken

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I really like Rummynose in a planted. That my vote!
BTW....a cleanup crew is very helpful in a planted tank. Otos, corys, snails, shrimp, can all help a great deal in breaking down mulm and cleaning alage.

OP
A

aaron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Bolivian, nice idea on that black harqs! I will most certainly consider them.

Do you think the fish will school more if I stock one large harmless fish with them?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Bolivian, nice idea on that black harqs! I will most certainly consider them.

Do you think the fish will school more if I stock one large harmless fish with them?
Mine are kept with Celestial Pearl Danios, a badis, and some apistogramma viejita, which are all small, but they still shoal kinda closely. I'm not sure how they'd act with one large harmless fish. I would think they'd school, but I'm not positive.

If you have trouble finding them in your area Harpua2002 sells them.

OP
A

aaron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As of now it's between harlequins and rummy nose tetras.

Bolivian, Do your apistos ever show a little aggression towards any of the fish? I was thinking of adding apistos, but I want something to make the schooling fish a little uneasy so I will hopefully get more schooling behavior.

I will try to post some pics after I complete the tank. I am not one for progress pictures lol.

OP
A

aaron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nate, I will most likely add some shrimp, but its going to depend on what I use to get the schooling fish to stay together. I wont have a choice with the snails, I always get them with plants

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My apistos don't bother anyone. I have 4 in there. I'm waiting for a spawning pair and then I'll move the others to another tank.

In a 125g tank, I'd be totally shocked if the apistos cause any problems at all. I really love mine. I have different species of apistos in a few of my tanks. Once they get accustomed to their new environment, mine have become VERY friendly.

OP
A

aaron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can you think of a fish that's a little feisty, but not aggressive enough to cause serious problems? I wonder if any of the shark type fish (red tails, rainbows, ect) would be a good candidate for making the schooling fish want to stick together?

I still want the main fish to be the shoal, but I have a feeling they will cease to shoal if they are the only fish in the tank.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Can you think of a fish that's a little feisty, but not aggressive enough to cause serious problems? I wonder if any of the shark type fish (red tails, rainbows, ect) would be a good candidate for making the schooling fish want to stick together?

I still want the main fish to be the shoal, but I have a feeling they will cease to shoal if they are the only fish in the tank.
Red-tailed sharks and rainbow sharks don't make good tankmates for small community fish. They do better with large community fish like silver dollars or certain NW cichlids.

My rummys school closely without any threats. My rasboras shoal loosely without any threats.

How about some keyhole cichlids? They're harmless, they get to around 5", and they may be a good "non-stressing" fish that might help them shoal.

OP
A

aaron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmm, I did not think the red tailed or rainbow shark could pose much of a threat in a 125g heavily planted tank. Just in my experience the red tail I had hung out near his cave all day. I have heard nasty stories about them and mine did hate a kissing gourami.

I will look into the keyhole cichlids.

OP
A

aaron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long have you had your rummys Bolivian? How many are there?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've had my rummys for a month or two. I have six in a 29g tank.

You could always try the shark with no other bottom dwellers, heavily planted and have a backup plan. It's possible the rummys and other tankmates wouldn't interest him.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have HR's and Neons both. The Harlequins seem to school all the time but they are also in a community tank, although they never seem to be stressed, they just hang out that way. The Neons are in a species only tank, less two Oto cats, but they seem to spread out all over the place for the most part unless I'm feeding them.
In my opinion I would say Harlequins for schooling fish for sure, and the more you put in the cooler it will look. I can't imagine 35 in a planted 125G.....sweetness. Good Luck!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i say harlequins! i have 8, they have nice accents of coppery rose gold to them. having a large number in a 125 would be really cool! i'm jealous.

i have to say though, getting a fish, to make a schooling fish uneasy....just so they'll shoal more, doesn't sound the nicest sorry.....but i'm sure they don't want to be made to feel insecure all day. would you?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rummynose tetras are great. They school tightly whether there is any perceived threat or not (I've kept them for years). Harlequins are going to school loosely; not like rummies, but they still look great in a planted tank. Black harlequins look fantastic in a planted tank- the bodies shine a navy blue color, and the faces are orange like regular harlequins. Like BB said, I do have some right now.

Other great choices would be rainbows, or maybe denison barbs (roseline "sharks"). These fish love planted tanks. Boesemanis would color up great in a 125 and are nice schoolers. Denisons are spendy, but stunning once mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom