New 125 Gal

Dycofree
Hey guys. After watching my fully stocked (admittably overstocked) tank for awhile now that's its complete, I'm not satisfied with the room in my 75 gallon. I currently have 8 Denison Barbs, 6 Blue Kamaka Rainbows, 1 Turquois Severum, and 15 cories. I just purchased a 125 gallon and would love some advice on bumping up my stock a bit to fill ou the much larger tank. I'm going to be running an Aquatop cf400 uv canister on it, as well as two Marineland 350b HOB. Two heaters, and 3-4 Powerheads. I have a really nice 4ft light right now for my 75, and am wondering if I should keep it and see how itd do in a 6 ft tank. Any suggestions on that aspect? Would love to hear everyones thoughts on stocking/lighting. Shoot!

TexasDomer
Are you trying to grow plants in the 125 gal? If not, the 4 ft light would be fine. It might work for low light plants in the 125 gal too. What kind of light is it?

What species of cory do you have?

What about something like this?

8-12x Denison barbs (I recently saw some huge adults at an LFS and have a new appreciation for their adult size - they get big!)
6-12x Kamaka Rainbows
6-12x Red rainbows
1-2x Severum
25x Cories
8x Hoplos

Dycofree
Are you trying to grow plants in the 125 gal? If not, the 4 ft light would be fine. It might work for low light plants in the 125 gal too. What kind of light is it?

What species of cory do you have?

What about something like this?

8-12x Denison barbs (I recently saw some huge adults at an LFS and have a new appreciation for their adult size - they get big!)
6-12x Kamaka Rainbows
6-12x Red rainbows
1-2x Severum
25x Cories
8x Hoplos
Thanks fort the reply!

My light on my 75 gallon is a USA Current Satellite Led Freshwater Light. Yes, I would like to plant my 125 pretty heavily, however I am considering using a 20 gallon I have as a plant growout tanks so I can have cheaper lighting on the 125. My cories are Peppered corys, which I'm almosy positive don't fit the bill temp wise with my current stock. I should probably rehome them during the move, plus, Id like to get some loaches instead.

Yea! My lfs has 3 full grown denisons and they are MASSIVE! I’ll probably stick to my current school of 8. Love the idea of 12 Kamakas, and could I really fit more rainbows?? I saw some albino oranges at my lfs and was stunned. I also think having another severum with my current one would be awesome. Would I need to worry about sexes? My current is a female. Id love to have a red spotted or something of that sort.

In additiion, the only plants Ill be using in the 125 are Crypts, swords, and Java fern. Only stuff my severum won't touch

One last question for you or anyone willing to help. Id remissed in not asking about my favorite fish when I first started, the Read Head Tapajo. Could they integrate in any way with anything I have now? They are by no means a make or break for me, but I don't want to miss any oppurtunities. Would I have to cut some off my fish from the stock? Which ones? Appreciate all your advice

Andrew99p
Not sure if you have purchased your lights yet, but I am currently setting a 125g also! I am using two 36” Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0. Currently aquariumcoop is having a sale on those lights, for 25% off. The code is “FLUVAL25”. As for stocking I’m not too sure, as I am still trying to find that out myself for my tank! Hope this helps!

TexasDomer
Thanks fort the reply!

My light on my 75 gallon is a USA Current Satellite Led Freshwater Light. Yes, I would like to plant my 125 pretty heavily, however I am considering using a 20 gallon I have as a plant growout tanks so I can have cheaper lighting on the 125. My cories are Peppered corys, which I'm almosy positive don't fit the bill temp wise with my current stock. I should probably rehome them during the move, plus, Id like to get some loaches instead.

You'll still want a good light over your 125 so the plants don't die once you add them to this big tank. Since you want to heavily plant it, I would add more lighting. You can go the DIY route (fixture and bulb from hardware store, super cheap and easy) or get another aquarium light(s) to supplement this one.

So you do have some temperature incompatibilities outside of the denison barbs. I did a bit more research into the Kamaka rainbows, and they need warmer water than both the denison barbs and the cories, while the severum just needs warmer water than the cories. If you want to keep the denison barbs, I'd swap out the rainbows for another species, too, when you swap out the cories.

Yea! My lfs has 3 full grown denisons and they are MASSIVE! I’ll probably stick to my current school of 8. Love the idea of 12 Kamakas, and could I really fit more rainbows?? I saw some albino oranges at my lfs and was stunned. I also think having another severum with my current one would be awesome. Would I need to worry about sexes? My current is a female. Id love to have a red spotted or something of that sort.

As mentioned above, I would trade the Kamakas for another species. What about turquoise rainbows instead? You could do 12 of those with the denisons and red rainbows.

What species are the albino oranges?

Another sev might work. To help ensure that it does, add the sevs to the new tank at the same time - don't let the old sev claim territory in the new tank before you add the new one.

In additiion, the only plants Ill be using in the 125 are Crypts, swords, and Java fern. Only stuff my severum won't touch

One last question for you or anyone willing to help. Id remissed in not asking about my favorite fish when I first started, the Read Head Tapajo. Could they integrate in any way with anything I have now? They are by no means a make or break for me, but I don't want to miss any oppurtunities. Would I have to cut some off my fish from the stock? Which ones? Appreciate all your advice
See green above

Red head Tapajos would work in a 125, but they're not temp compatible with the denisons, cories, or the red or turquoise rainbows (though they'll work with the Kamaka rainbows). Not sure how they'd do with the sev. It might work out, but I'm not sure I'd add a second sev then. But you could try something like this:

6x Red head Tapajos
1x Sev
8-12x Kamaka Rainbows
8-15x BoesemanI rainbows
15-25x Sterbai, bronze, or emerald cories (most other species won't be temp compatible)

Dycofree
See green above

Red head Tapajos would work in a 125, but they're not temp compatible with the denisons, cories, or the red or turquoise rainbows (though they'll work with the Kamaka rainbows). Not sure how they'd do with the sev. It might work out, but I'm not sure I'd add a second sev then. But you could try something like this:

6x Red head Tapajos
1x Sev
8-12x Kamaka Rainbows
8-15x BoesemanI rainbows
15-25x Sterbai, bronze, or emerald cories (most other species won't be temp compatible)
Gotcha, Ill probably avoid them because of lack of availability, cost and incompatibility. I’m really intrigued with the first stock plan you suggested. Definitely going to be looking into it.

Not sure if you have purchased your lights yet, but I am currently setting a 125g also! I am using two 36” Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0. Currently aquariumcoop is having a sale on those lights, for 25% off. The code is “FLUVAL25”. As for stocking I’m not too sure, as I am still trying to find that out myself for my tank! Hope this helps!
I haven't purchaed any adittional lighting yet, however my tank did come with a homemade led ficture that's pretty bright (not sure about plant growth). I also have my own 48” USA Current light I may run and just have some darker spots on the edges. Not sure yet. Lighting is definitely my main concern right now, as I want to keep the cost of it all (additional stocking, another canister, and other things) to a minimum.

TexasDomer
The first plan I suggested before looking at the correct temps for the Kamaka, so that plan won't work.

Dycofree
The first plan I suggested before looking at the correct temps for the Kamaka, so that plan won't work.
In what aspect? Ive been told/have read in multiple places that 75-80 is preffered for them. Some sites have it listed as 72-82 but that seems very wide. Would it be because of the other rainbows you suggested? I'm really more focused on the severum(s), denisons, and kamakas. All else can be interchanged. Actuallt, the sev could be changed too if need be. She was a rescue ( I love her) but sometimes shes a pain and I know I can find a good home for her

TexasDomer
The denisons (and the other rainbows I listed) need cooler water than the kamakas, so it's those two that won't work together.

Dycofree
The three biggest Denisons Ive ever seen have lived in a 150 gallon show tank at my LFS for 6 years in 78 degree water. Colors are fantastic. My tank stays at 77 degrees, and my Dens couldnt be happier. Got them from the same LFS, and they’re thriving. I did a lot of research on them beforehand, and was satsified with personal experience of seeing the ones at my lfs as well as things read online. The Kamakas are already in my tank and have been for a few weeks now. They won't be going anywhere. Some would argue that they will do fine at 76-78 but will have shortened life spans, but the case at my lfs directly disputes that. Not saying you are wrong here, because we both know you are far more experienced haha. But jusr saying that in my experience they do well in the mid to upper 70’s.

Also, by those temp standards, wouldnt the Dens conflict even heavier with the severum, which likes 77-82?

tyguy7760
Sevs have a wide range in South America and thus have plenty of overlap with the denisons. fishbase has them from low 70's to mid 80's

Dycofree
So is it suggested I take the Kamakas back? I just dropped $80 on 6 of them Usually my lfs (especially the guy I got them from) is spot on with compatibility advice. Sucks

TexasDomer
No, the sev and the denisons have a few more degrees overlap.
Heros efasciatus (Severum)
Sahyadria denisoniI – Red-line Torpedo Barb (Barbus denisonii, Puntius denisonii)

According to the rainbow source, the temp of the water where the rainbows come from is near 30 C:
Melanotaenia kamaka

You also don't want to keep fish at the extreme ends of their range either. 77 F is too high for the denisons, and they will most likely have a shorter lifespan. That doesn't mean they won't grow big and colorful. 6 years may not be near the lifespan of the denisons.

So if the denisons are your first choice, yes, I would swap the Kamaka out for another species. You could ask the LFS if you could directly trade them for something like turquoise rainbows? So that way you wouldn't be losing money.

EDIT: Or you could get another tank?

Dycofree
hahaha I would have my 75 gallon empty that I could use, but the gifriend would never let that happen. It sucks that so many sites have verying info that misleads

tyguy7760
it's best to stick with seriouslyfish and fishbase.se. If those two disagree then try to find where they originate and look for yearly numbers for water temps from that water source. It can be more complicated than that even but that's a good start.

TexasDomer
I use Seriously Fish, Fishbase, Planet Catfish, and that rainbow site linked above. These seem to be more reliable.

Dycofree
So its looks like I’ll be going with Severums and Denisons now. Any suggestions building off that, oh and I have a butterfly pleco too. Hopefully I don't have bad info there either. Heres a pic, hes awsome

Attachments

• 5345C413-16CC-4984-BAAE-551FFAA779DF.jpeg
    5345C413-16CC-4984-BAAE-551FFAA779DF.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 68
TexasDomer
He's beautiful, but he needs warmer temps as well

Many LFS don't give good advice - they often don't know, and they are trying to make a sale, after all.

Dycofree
Stuff like this makes me want to cash in and get out of the hobby. If I take in the denisons or Kamakas, both which cost me $80, ill probably get a credit of $20.
Question for you guys, ive heard of subtropical barb tanks before. Is that something I could do in this 125? Start fresh with just the denisons and build from there? No heater too from what ive read, less hastle. Any idea/info you have on this?

Edit: Wouldnt have to be a barb tank persay either, whatever would work, preferrably with some kind of centerpiece.

tyguy7760
Your severum would work fine with the barbs I would think. If you really wanted to go cool water I'd look into gymnogeophagus balzanI as they do well in the lower 70's. Bolivian rams are another option. Lots of very nice subtropical cichlids out there but many have a higher level of care which may be a pain to upkeep

Dycofree
Trying to get excited about something new to overshadow the fact my whole took stock is going to have to change lol. I like the idea of something with a theme, like subtropical or even a biotope (would be based on Dens).

TexasDomer
You could try to sell the rainbows yourself? You could likely get more that way. Will the LFS you bought them from not give you more than $2o in store credit?

You have lots of options - do you like some of the larger loaches?

You could do something like this:
8-12x Denison barbs
20-30x Tiger barbs
8-12x Yoyo loaches

Dycofree
$20 is just an estimate, theyve been cheap lately. They really are a good lfs though. I'm sure they won't be too happy with me as I literally just tot them a few weeks ago. I do like larger loaches, thought about asking about them. That's a pretty cool stock list. Ive owned tiger barbs a few time, however ive ended up getting away from them each time. Too many options. Wish I had an easier way of changing stock here

TexasDomer
I would talk with them about it. They're going to deny the temp incompatibility of course, but you can probably express that you're disappointed they gave you inaccurate info and you'd like to swap them out for temp compatible species. Hopefully you can convince them to swap them out for something else, so you don't have to shell out more money.

Shows you the importance of doing your own research though. It's sad that they give out bad info, as so many people listen to them without finding out otherwise

Dycofree
I think I’ll approach it with the idea that the 125 came out of nowhere and it changed my stock plans. Keep them happy and not mad while knowing I need to research more next time. I think a big group of small schoolers with the dens and loahes would be dope, rummy come to mind but not sure on temp/havent check myself. Their colors are kinda too similar to dens too so we’ll see

TexasDomer
Rummies need warmer water and might be intimidated by the active denisons and loaches There are other fish that would work, but the tiger barbs were my first thought because they have flashy colors (they come in other colors as well) and they can hold their own. They get pretty thick bodied as adults too!

Dycofree
I might look into some biotope ideas and see what I can find. Idk if theyre from the same area but hillstream loaches like a lot of current and cooler water from what I see

TexasDomer
Yes, they need a lot of current, cold water, and a constant source of algae.

Dycofree
One more question for you Domer and Ty. I'm going to be running an Aquatop cf 400uv on the 125, and I'm trying to decide what else. I have a Marineland 350b on my 75 as well, and would like to just get another and run two with the Canister. Would this be sufficient? I am also going to have multiple powerheads for flow. The alternative would be me purchasing another canister and not using the 350b. Id like to stick to something cheaper unfortunately, maybe a sun sun with this route (how are they?) Advice is appreciated as always

Edit: Holy cow! I was completely off in stating the size of my female severum. She is in fact not 3.5”, but almost 6”! Is this going to throw off me adding another with her?

TexasDomer
UV filters aren't as useful as they are made out to be. In most filters, GPH is too high for the UV filters to be effective.

2 Marineland 350s and the Aquatop should be fine!

Try to add another sev around the same size. You can take her out, rearrange the tank, and add them both at the same time.

Dycofree
Would two females be able to live together? If I find one I like at the right size I want to be able to pull the trigger without worrying about f/m or f/f. I have a feeling I’ll have a tough time finding one the same size. Part of me wants to trade her in for two babies to watch them grow in the 125, but I don't know if I could bring myself to it

Dycofree
UV filters aren't as useful as they are made out to be. In most filters, GPH is too high for the UV filters to be effective.

2 Marineland 350s and the Aquatop should be fine!

Try to add another sev around the same size. You can take her out, rearrange the tank, and add them both at the same time.
Also, I got the filter awhile back for $20 and wasn't concerned about the UV. Just an add on that was there

TexasDomer
Two females may or may not work out. Hard to predict, especially if she's been alone for so long already.

tyguy7760
Since your severum is already that size it's going to be completely up to her if she will tolerate another sev whether it's a male or female. That being said, the average sev is pretty laid back and in a 6 foot tank I wouldn't think you'll have that much issue.

Dycofree
TexasDomer
I don't like getting fish that will outgrow your tank, so I'd say no.

tyguy7760
If you like clowns, I'd consider yoyos or zebra loaches instead.

Dycofree
It has arrived!

Attachments

• EF176C48-87AD-42DB-ABF7-636762EEC8DC.jpeg
    EF176C48-87AD-42DB-ABF7-636762EEC8DC.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 40
woodsonfan
It would take years for clown loaches to outgrow your tank. The pet stores sell hundreds a month, and I guarantee you 75% of those go in a smaller tank than yours.

Dycofree
So, the bottom seals on the tank are fantastic. Look almost brand new. However, the seals on the side (4 corners) look a tad rough. Theres definitely sealant there, but its hard to discern from dried algae in some parts. When I purchased the tank I saw it completely filled. No hard water stains or anything. Still had a frontosa in it. Any reason for me to reseal here? Id REALLY rather not. I'm scared I wouldnt be able to get a seal to hold after I do it myself.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Top Bottom