NEW 120GL ..Stocking ideas??

1. Harrison Member Member

Originally i was looking on only a 50GL but today i bought and reserved a nice 4ft by 2ft by 2ft 120 gallon beaut with the stand :D its reserved untill ive redecorated so should hopefully be picking it up next week.

As far as stocking goes i have quite a good idea of what i wanted but know i have room for more :p

clean up crew of inverts!
    Acropora coral
    flame torch
    2 clowns
    school of chromis
    2 cardinals
    small school of anthias
    sailfin blenny
    dwarf angel- not sure which one?

eventually add an anemone for the clowns and a green madarin dragonet :)

seems though the tanks fairly large would i get away with keeping afew seahores ? any advice?

Also any one got any other stocking ideas to add to the list or just a completely different ideas?

H

2. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Okay, first thing, Reverse Osmosis Water. Use it from the start, otherwise you will have huge issues with the corals down the line. They are expensive units but serve all SW keepers well :)

Next thing is Live rock. They say 1 pound per gallon is great and 0.8 pounds per gallon is still good. It can be expensive so if you are willing to wait, get a few pounds of live rock and the rest in bulk dry rock to save you some cash.

I wouldnt recommend seahorses for anyone but the extremely experienced and those with species only tanks. Definetely not a community option.

An anemone is not needed for the clowns incase you dont know, but keeping one is always an option and great to see their behaviour. They need to get spot feed and require amazing lighting.

Seeing as you want to keep coral, you need to decide on lights. I'm experienced in the freshwater side of things with that so ill leave that to the salty guys here :)

The most important advice i can give you is to have patience. The longer you wait before adding anything to the tank or making any drastic changes, the better and stronger the tank will be from every perspective. Follow the advice of the experienced guys here. They really know what they're talking about!

3. Harrison Member Member

t5 quads will do the trick wont they

4. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I think with acropora coral maybe, but with the tank being 24" down, it depends where you want to place the anemone and whether it will stay higher up. Quads will give enough light higher up but at the bottom of the tank, it wont. Most members here have 8 x T5HO 54W on their tanks. I know Mike is a fan of T5HO's, while others believe in metal halide. Both work well at the right amounts and at the right mounting height. LED's are also an option if your budget allows. Saltyfish is a member here who is a fan of HO-LED's... IMO they all are great, and work well depending on your individual setup.

What filtration setup are you looking at? I may be corrected here but the dragonet you want feeds off of copepods or something like that (cant remember but i read something along the lines). These can only be supplied by a form of refugium with macro algae i believe. Again, i may be corrected if im wrong here

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I run 6x 39W T5 HO over a 50 gallon breeder tank and have kept some sps corals. That 120 gallon is much deeper than my tank and I don't really think 4x 54W would cut it. You would have more success IMO with MH or LED.

6. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Thank you for replying harpua :)

I am so far out of my depth here ;D

7. Harrison Member Member

yeah thats why i plan on getting the dragonet last after i add the refugium

8. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

I run 8x54 watt T5's (ati sunpower) on my 120 gallon reef. My acropora corals are growing pretty fast. Not sure I would try 4xT5's with sps, or plan on placing them higher in the tank.