New 10gal Stocking Questions

Ponchinizo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have gotten a 10gal rectangle aquarium that I am currently fishless cycling. So far so good with nitrites and nitrates getting really high, I'm guessing they'll go down as the next set of bacteria grow. I have a Penguin 100B biowheel filter running in the tank, and as an aside the substrate is red and blue gravel that I'm not wild about.

I am planning on planting java moss and java fern, then I will start stocking. I am getting ghost shrimp (and maybe red cherry shrimp later), 5 or 6 of them. I would really like to have neon tetras, but I've read on here that 10gal is too small for any schooling fish. AqAdvisor says I can have up to 10-11 with the shrimp, but that still seems like a lot for a small tank. Can i stock 7-8 neon tetras in my 10gal? If not do you have any suggestions for fish to stock with? Thanks all.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Imo, neon tetras do better in a 20 than a 10. If you want a schooling fish, consider chili rasbora, celestial pearl danio, blue axelrodi rasbora, ruby tetra, ember tetra, or green neon tetra.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
10gal is fine for neon tetra, however there are fish better suited for a 10g then tetras. If you’d like other suggestions:

Chilli rasbora
Celestial pearl danio
Danio erythromicron
Mosquito rasbora
Sparkling gourami (not a schooling fish, but have unique personality)

Pdiddy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree. You could do neons if you really like them but there are other options for a 10g. I personally wouldn't have a problem putting 10 neons with some shrimp in a 10 gal and calling it a day

Ponchinizo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for your suggestions everyone! I was pretty set on Neons but now I'm not sure again, I'm thinking I'll start with plants and shrimp and go from there. To be honest I'm currently satisfied caring for my bacterial colonies in my cycling tank, it's fascinating. Really glad I took some microbiology in college now!

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 58 64.4%

Top Bottom