New 10g.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by psalm18.2, Apr 19, 2012.

1. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Hey all. I bought a 10g last night. It's my "found at the lake" themed tank.
    Stay tuned...

2. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Sure! I definitely will be following!

3. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Are you going to get some small native fish, too?

4. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

You can't do this to us... "stay tuned" indeed. *fumes* It better not be more then a day or so until the :photo:'s follow

5. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Found at the lake theme sounds like it could wind up being pretty cool.

As for "stay tuned" we are waiting semi-patiently......:whistling:

6. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

ooo sounds interesting....standing by for pictures.

7. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

That would be cool. Not sure if possible. Right now I have snails and a mussle w/ plants.
    I should have some substrate in it soon. I collected driftwood and plants so far. Debating on actual sand from lake substrate or dirt from backyard. I p/u a bag of plant substrate and rocks from LFS. Debating still. Hoping to go back tomorrow.

8. pirahnah3

if your trying to keep it as close to whats out there as possible I would go with sand or gravel and skip the dirt for this one.

9. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

Good point. I would like to add the plant base fert under the sand or rocks. I p/u a 5lb bag of small river pepples last night. I could always use in another tank. The wild plants grow in sand. My idea is to make it look like the actual bottom of a lake. Sticks on bottom, leaves, and wild plants, maybe a few pebbles or rocks.

10. pirahnah3

Def sand or actually I found that I really like the coffee color gravel from petco. That mixed with sand might be really nice. The coffee one is a bit more brown than the usual stuff I have seen but I really like the color of it in my temp plant house 20 long.

11. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

I don't like gravel myself. Sand is my 1st choice for all tanks.

12. pirahnah3

Then I would look for a dark colored sand if you can find one to more mimmic the dirt bottom of a river.

13. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

The lake had a sand bottom, but I may just use the pebbles for now, they're brown. I hope to set up tomorrow. My wood already dried out so I may go back for more so it sinks.
    Here's everything literaly just thrown in for now. Today was too nice to be inside.

Attached Files:

14. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

you could take sand from the lake, so it's really native....

15. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

That's what I'd like to do, plus it's free. LOL. I also want more plants before they get the beach ready to open. The plants and sticks will be raked away. Problem is, it's going to rain for the next few days. No sand until at least TUE.

16. jerilovesfrogs

that's good to get the plants too. do you know what they are in the lake? yeah i hear ya about the rain. and cold! boooo.

17. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

Yes I do, thanks to my "weed watcher kit" from NH Dept. Of Enviromental Services. Hey, it was free. I have elodea canadensis, coontail, and myriophyllum humile (millfoil). All weeds, but they are fast growing and look good. ;)

18. pirahnah3

there only weeds if you don't want them..... just remember considering they are most likely being considered an invasive species disposal properly is important.

19. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

howd you choose wood? im always scared to put wood in any of my tanks that i find.

20. jerilovesfrogs

all you have to do is boil wood that you find. or i think i've heard of baking it. i've even read of people putting in the dishwasher to sanitize it. without the soap though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice