Question New 10g tank

A-53

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi,
I'm going to be getting my first tank in a few days and start cycling, it's approx 10 gallons (filtered, heated) and I want to put in a male betta but also a few companion fish if there's enough space for them - I've read a lot of conflicting information about neon tetras and whether or not they'll go for my betta, so any advice would be welcomed.
I'm also open to plant suggestions, I've tried to research this but after reading so many conflicting accounts (and being told by several pet stores that plants aren't necessary because you can keep bettas in a small bowl and they'll be fine) I decided to seek out a slightly more comperhensive source of information (i.e. fishlore).
I will be doing a fishless cycle so I've still got some time to decide, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
A-53

djorna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bettas don't do well with plastic plants they can be kind of rough and tear there fins. as for companions in a 10 gallon I think some small community fish would be ok with your betta as long as they don't have flashy fins guppys are not good with bettas. I have a betta in a 5 gallon with some smoothe rocks and gravel I don't have any plants in with him and I don't think he minds I have had him for 3 years

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bettas are to be kept ALONE! whether its a male or female, they do best alone, and will show their person more affection than any tank mate.
(and being told by several pet stores that plants aren't necessary because you can keep bettas in a small bowl and they'll be fine)
plants aren't necessary, but they look nice and absorb some toxins from the water, as to the because part- and keeping them in small bowls, thats a no no.. one how does one get to the conclusion of they don't "need" plants because they can be kept in small bowls?.. here are two links that will give you some info on bettas..http:[URL="https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Betta.htm"]https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Betta.htm//www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/mar08/betta-tank-setup.htm[/URL]

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree bettas are best kept alone. They prefer it that way. Some people have successfully kept them in community tanks but these instances are few and far between. Most people who have tried it have wound up with injured or dead fish and ultimately needed to get their bettas a tank of their own. If you would like to have more than one fish you might want to consider dividing the tank and having a betta alone on each side of the divider.

Live plants are not really necessary, but as Steed mentioned, they do help with toxins in the water. I have yet to muster the courage to try live plants as I have a tendency to kill plants, but that's just me. Silk plants are a very nice alternative as they can't be killed and they are betta fin safe. As djorna mentioned plastic plants are often too sharp and can tear your bettas fins. A good way to test decor for bettas is to run a piece of pantyhose over the decor. If the pantyhose tears or snags, so will your bettas fins.

The small bowls your fish store mentioned is entirely inaccurate. Bettas have been known to survive the most horrific of living conditions, but I would not consider their survival in such instances to be actual living. For one thing bettas are tropical fish that require warm waters to live in. For another, bettas may be low waste producers, but they still produce waste. Like all fish, they need clean, fresh water to thrive and a filtered tank provides just that. The small bowl theory also stems from the myth that bettas come from small puddles when in fact they come from rather expansive rice paddies. They like and need some swim room.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WELCOME TO FISHLORE A-53! I hope you'll love it here as much as I do
Now onto you're questions.
Neons typically aren't the best fish for betta's because they can get nippy with the betta fins. Bottom feeders like Cory's do work well. However every betta has a very individual personality and can have a wide variance in what they'll tolerate for tankmates. I had a female I could keep with anyone, a female that would take on my RTS (when he was 3-4X her size) I've had males that were peaceful for over a month and Males that won't even tolerate snails in their tanks.

Betta's love live plants and I think that if you have the right lighting you'll love live plants. Typically the sort of plants you can have depend on the lighting that you have.

I hope you rolled your eyes at the folks who told you about the betta's living in bowls. And I'm definately glad that you knew better.

My recomendation is to decided on the type of plants you want ( I like jungle tanks but some good ones for low to medium light are Java Fern, Java Moss, Crypts (any and all) and Anubias are typically pretty easy as well. For higher lights the crypts and anubias are fine and you could try Amazon sword or Mondo grass as well. Corkscrew val is hit of miss with me but makes a nice addition to any tank.

My personal advice would be to give some lucky boy the whole tank to explore or even to divide it and have two.

Good Luck

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore and best of luck with yor betta when the tank is cycled. I'd definitely not put tetras in with a betta. If you can find java moss or similar plants, or plants with big broad leaves, bettas like those.

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello! Welcome to the forum fellow Australian!
I'd say that your betta boy would much rather live alone. I do not recommend tank mates for them, it usually doesn't work out in the long run and can cause the betta and the other fish stress in the process.
Bettas would like plants although it is not essential. The live plants suggested by the other fishloreans are good advice. Plastic plants are definitely out. If you do not wish for live plants then I have seen that fake betta friendly fabric plants can be bought but I have never tried or tested them.

A-53

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you all for your responses
I have decided to keep my betta on his own and let him have the whole 10g to himself - the plant suggestions were extremely helpful, now all that is left to do is to start cycling the tank, and hopefully by Easter I will be able to add my fish
Now off to read up on the nitrogen cycle.
Thank again!
A-53

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom