New 100gal Tank

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I got home this evening and took a look into my tank to check on the gang, and found that one of my angel fish and one of my Platty's tails were torn. Now I know that my 37gal tank is over stocked and was planning in a month or two to get a bigger tank for them, but I think that the over crowding is starting to get to them. So I decided that there was no time like the present and went out and bought a new 100gal tank tonight. So my question is after it has finished cycling I plan on putting my angel fish into the new tank and from my profile list below what other fish should I move into there with them?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wahoo!! you'll love the bigger tank I would think the Elephantnose and the Dolphin Fish both need to move to a larger tank (and they will love it).
Carol

LarryDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats Tumble

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Carol the only concern I have with that is that the elephant nose are picking on the other fish especially the angel fish, so I was thinking of seperating them. But it could be that they are chasing them due to the small/overcrowed tank and putting them into a bigger tank will cause that to stop.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
WOW, a 100 gallon tank! CONGRATULATIONS! Can't wait for the pictures when all is set-up and ready

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is a before pic of the tank. Just has a background and sand in it. I am gettting some drift wood for it saturday that I saw at my LFS that is really nice, then I will just build up the rest of the tank around that piece of drift wood.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congradulations on your tank Tumbleweed!! ;D

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Looks really cool, especially when the viewer knows it's not just a "tank", but a 100 gallon tank!

Plus, your fishies will be so happy to have so much space!

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I am however having some problems coming up with ideas on designs for the tank. Does anybody have any ideas or know of any online resources that could help me in my design?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
PlantGeek.net should have good articles on aquascaping. Here: . I also know a good book (if you're willing to buy it and read it) on aquascaping: "Aquarium Designs Inspired by Nature" by Peter Hiscock. This book was actually recommended to me by Omorrokh, if I remember correctly. Also, all books by Takashi Amano are AMAZING. Here are some other threads that have some info on aquascaping:

Basically, there are many things you can do and use in a new and as large a tank as yours. For example, you can use live or artificial plants, rocks, caves, driftwood, and really any decor from fish stores. Though natural decor usually looks best. As for the rocks, remember not to use calcerous ones (I've written about them in the second thread above).

P.S. I think you should be able to find a lot of information about aquascaping on the internet - just type in the keyword "aquascaping".

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you Isabella. I will look into those books.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You're welcome. You don't "have to" buy these books, but they're just suggestions. Nevertheless, the one by Peter Hiscock is a great book on aquascaping. It gives you details on what materials to use and it tells exactly how to use them. Besides, I think it has designs for all freshwater bitopes - so you can choose the one that suits your taste and needs best. Besides, if you plan to use driftwood, you should read this: - this thread tells how to safely prepare driftwood before you put in in your tank.

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yeah and unfortunetly both of the bookstores in my area don't have Peter Hiscock's book or any books by Takashi Amano. I will jus keep looking.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I hardly ever buy books at book stores (except sometimes). (Well, when I was in college, I had to buy all the books at my university's book store and at a Barnes & Noble next to it). Now, I usually buy books online, either on Amazon.com or at Barnes & Noble (BN.com). Most of the time the books on Amazon.com will be cheaper than on BN.com - depends. If you don't want to buy new books, you can get them used and cheap on Amazon.com, and even new ones will be cheaper on Amazon.com than at a book store. Right now, new book "Aquarium Designs Inspired By Nature" is $19.29 on Amazon.com, while normally, it costs $27.95 at a book store and even at BN.com.

Here:

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks yeah i found all of the books that you were telling me about on-line, but I had to run some errands and stopped in the book stores to just take a look. I found a couple of good sites when I was looking on line

this site had quite a few different pictures of tank setups. they didn't have a list or diagram on how to create a copy, but I don't really want to copy anyone but it did give me a couple of ideas on what I want to do in the tank.

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
added a few things to the tank today let me know what you think.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think it looks awesome! What are you using for substrate? Just curious...

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It is white sand

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Looks great

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator