New 10 galon tank, and cleaning question

cxamer

Hello all,

I just set up a new 10 gallon tank, and let it run for a few days, I got the tank from wal-mart and then 2 days later (today) I bought 2 rainbow tetras, they seem to be doing aright so far, I wish that I read the forums on this site before I put the fish in, the lady at wal-mart told me to wait a day so I hope every thing goes aright. I am looking at buying a freshwater master test kit and a python for changing water.

I found a better local store that I am defiantly going to start shopping at instead of wall-mart, they are evil!

I have a question about that python for when I go to do my first water change, I understand that you hook it up to the facet to create a siphon, one end goes in the tank, is there another end that would go in to a bucket with the treated tap water?

This is my first tank and I am enjoying learning about this new hobby, there is defiantly allot to become knowledgeable about.

Does any body know if there is any good online aquarium retailers in Canada?

JMatt1983

definately do not listen to walmart employees, they know nothing about fish keeping lol definitely get the freshwater master kit, it is a very valuable peice of epuipment.

as for the python vacuum, one end, the suction tube, goes in the tank, the other end gets hooked up to your faucet, there is a valve on that end that you turn to either create the vacuum, or fill the tank, no buckets involved, hence the no spill part of the name, just remember you will have to add your water conditioner into the tank.

now for aquarium retailers, if in ontario, definitely go to big al's, they are the best, you can order online as well and the staff at there stores are highly trained and for the most part know what they are talking about especially if you talk to one that's been there for a few years

cxamer

So the tap water gets placed directly in to the tank and then you add the conditioner once in the tank? I thought that the chlorine in tap water is harmful?

how do you determine the temperature to set the tap to?

Thanks for the help.

JMatt1983

for refilling, use a bucket with treated water in it, for the water temp, try and get it as close to the tank temp as possible, use a thermometer if you like

COBettaCouple

yea, never put the fish in contact with tap water. they can be alright, but it is a stress on them. we treat the tap water and keep it in gallon jugs to use as needed.

Latest threads

Top Bottom