New 10 Gallon!

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by Samuel Abraham, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Samuel AbrahamValued MemberMember

Hey everyone, I just acquired a 10 gallon tank from a neighbor. I currently have a 20 gallon tank with a Blue Gourami and some other fish, and I really like the idea of getting another Gourami for the 10 gallon. From other forums I’ve looked at, it seems like Dwarf Gourami do well in 10 gallon tanks. My question is, would it be terrible if I got two? Or can I only have one? Also, what else do you recommend I stock with a Dwarf Gourami. I like Cory Catfish, but any other suggestions?

Thanks

2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

DGs do best in at least 15 gallons (same footprint as a 20H). Absolutely no getting two. Males will fight.

3. OP
    OP
    S

Samuel AbrahamValued MemberMember

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Would it be bad for the fish if I only had the 10 gallon?

4. Kenny777

Kenny777Well Known MemberMember

What about Honeys Gouramis? Sparkling Gouramis? Peacock Gudgeons?

5. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

DGs and cories wouldn't be appropriate for a 10g. Sparkling gouramis would be a good option.

Lots of suggestions from this list:

Stocking List for 10 Gallons

6. OP
    OP
    S

Thank you guys so much for your help. Really saves me the time, money, and most importantly the health of the fish.

7. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

You can put some sparkling gouramis or a honey in a 10. But there are a lot of other cool options too.

8. OP
    OP
    S

I thought about a Honey Gourami as well, but I heard a lot of these Gourami variations can have diseases from the breeders. I think I may go with a Sparkling Gourami... how many should I keep in that case?

9. MattS99

In a 10, I think you could do 1 male and two females or 1 male and 3 females. Not 100% sure though.

10. OP
    OP
    S

Alright, I’ll look into it. Also, would I be able to keep any other fish with the 3 Sparkling Gouramis, or would that be it?

11. MattS99

I'm not 100% sure again as I've never owned them. But a couple endlers may be able to go in there. But don't quote me on it.

12. OP
    OP
    S

So at the moment, I’m thinking 1 Sparkling Gourami (just to stay on the safe side), and either 2 Endlers or 4 Pygmy Corydoras

13. MattS99

You can't do any kind of corydoras in a 10.

14. OP
    OP
    S

Not even the Pygmy/Dwarf?

15. MattS99

Nope. None at all. And I just did some more research on the sparkler for you. You can't just do one, you'll need an M/F pair at minimum. I'm pretty sure you can keep some other fish with a pair of sparklers in a 10, but I'll call in @Anders247 to check this out.

16. OP
    OP
    S

Huh, ok. It’s much more reassuring talking to people with experience rather than reading a spec sheet that may not be true. I’ll do some more research and see what I can keep with the Sparklers

17. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

I would say a safe bet would be 1m/2f. Depending on what else you like, you could have them as the centerpiece with something else/others from the list. With some options, I believe you could do 1m/3f. I've wanted to keep Sparkling Gouramis for a while now!

18. OP
    OP
    S

Oh ok, I think I’ll do that to start, and then see what else I could get...

19. MattS99

Look over the list, tell us some of the things you like, and we'll see if they work for you and some sparklers :)

20. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Another suggestion is Scarlet Badis. Could do 1 male and 5 females. They can be hard to find though. If you went with a mid/top dwelling fish you could get maybe 3 Asian Stone Catfish. Or a couple Peacock Gudgeons. These two are both bottom dwellers though, and it sounds like you really want the Sparkling Gouramis. Just throwing them out there. Snails are always a possibility too. With most fish that is. I'd still research it beforehand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice