New 10 gallon

1. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I have a sponge filter that's been seeding for about 4 weeks now in a 10 gallon betta tank. Is this enough to prepare the tank to cherry shrimp?

I have sand and some smooth gravel. Im trying to get moss but petco was out the last 2 times i checked. I do have marimo balls. I have no clue what to feed them ive been feeding them shrimp pellets but i recently learned they arent shrimp food, they are made from shrimp :/ also algae wafers made for plecos.

Id like to figure this out soon because my 3 shrimp are in a breeder net at the moment in a 30 gallon. 2 are berried and 1 is male. Hoping to get my population up since i paid for 9 shrimp but 6 died. Im scared the shrimp will die when i move them to the new tank.

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats:) Going to put RCS in there?

3. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Yes! But the dog pressed send so i didnt get to type my whole post lol but i edited it.

4. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I guess it would just boost the cycle since it contains the bacteria i need. Of course 0 amonia and nitrites with minimal nitrates are the only way to say a tank is prepared. Just wondering how long it should take with the seeded sponge filter.

5. Sarah73

Wait a week and if you see no spike then, you have a cycled tank. Does your tank already have fish in it?

6. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

The 10 gallon that has the filter in it now has a betta and 2 mystery snails. That tank still has a hob filter thats staying put.

The new one is still in my car but im setting it up once im home. How can i keep the bacteria alive when i put the sponge in the new tank while i wait for it to quick cycle? I have stress zyme so i can add bacteria or is that a waste.

7. Sarah73

How long has the filter been in the 10g for? If it's been in the 10g for a few weeks then your tank is cycled. What's your readings? What do you mean by,"How can i keep the bacteria alive when i put the sponge in the new tank while i wait for it to quick cycle"?

8. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I have 2 tanks. 1 is new 1 is established.

The established tank has 2 filters in it and i plan to use the sponge filter to cycle my new tank.

9. Sarah73

So the new one is the 10g? And if the sponge filter is in the established tank then that will really help.

10. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

[​IMG]
    They are both 10 gallon :)

11. Sarah73

Oh so is the RCS going into the bottom 10? If so then adding a sponge to the bottom and adding some fish for a week or so would be good. Then remove the fish and put the RCS in their:)

12. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

How long has the sponge filter been running in the main tank at this point? Also, how long has the one been berried? 3rd question, what is your source water like? Three RCS will put out almost nothing on the bioload, but if your water has a bunch of stuff in it like mine, then you may need to worry with having a more well established cycle.

13. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Its been running about 4 weeks with a betta and 2 snails. If i put the snails in will it create enough bioload to keep the bacteria thriving? I have 4 snails total if more is better. I can also use plants and decor from the established tanks if that helps.

The 2 have been berried for Maybe a week.

14. Bithimala

So sorry, not sure how I missed that 4 weeks when I initially read the post. I'd honestly think you should be fine to just move the shrimp over into the new tank at the same time you set it up with the seeded filter. There should be more than enough BB on there to handle the almost 0 bioload of 3 RCS. Are you planning on moving any of the snails over as well? Basically, bioload comparison, I'd say 10-15 RCS are probably about equal to 1 adult mystery snail. Snails are also very sensitive to spikes. Unless the plan is to move the snails into the tank for them to stay there, I'd say just move the filter and the shrimp at the same time, and not worry about the other. Then, of course, test to make sure, but really, it will take a long time for 3 RCS to produce much ammonia at all in a 10g. You'll probably get more ammonia out of the food than the shrimp themselves.

If you want, you should be able to safely give it another week or so, but I wouldn't push it past two weeks on them being berried in case any come out early.

As to food, mine get a mix of some sinking meat-based food (probably akin to the pellets you are feeding), fresh veggies, and snail jello. I would definitely suggest a piece of driftwood as well if you can get one, since mine absolutely love it.

15. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Should i give them snails to create a bioload tho? Or add the snails then in a week add the shrimp?

16. Bithimala

Are you planning on keeping the snails in there? My mysteries and RCS get along wonderfully, and the little ones really seem to enjoy riding around on the snails.

There are a few main reasons to add things over time, 1, to allow things to get territory, and 2, to allow time for the BB to catch up. 1 is completely irrelevant between RCS and mystery snails ime. 2, the bulk of any change needed for the BB would be based on the snails. If you want to be safe with it, add the sponge filter and 1 mystery, check for a couple days for any spikes, add the other snail, check for a few days for any spikes, and then add the shrimp.

17. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Thanks! Ill be keeping at least 1 snail with them permanently.

18. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Jumping in!
    If the sponge filter has been in the other tank for more than 1-2 weeks then you can add it as soon as you add your shrimp. Just test every 1-2 days to keep parameters in check for mini cycle.

My RCS love marimo moss balls, java moss, anubias nana and java fern.

I also have added Indian almond leaf and cuddle bone to help aid their molting.

I recently bought Bacter-AE by GlasGarten based off good reviews online and another member's recommendation. It's a powder that helps grow biofilm for the shrimp and any shrimplets. I've had at least 6 babies from one batch survive off of it. It helps aid in numbers. I bought it from amazon

Also, i have national geographic shrimp and lobster pellets which are made mainly from salmon and kelp. They go crazy for them! I also feed algae wafers. They also get a fresh veggie like zucchini and cucumber.

Also make sure you have good caves/hiding places. They'll need the cover when they moult. Also keep the moulted shells in the tank. They'll eat them and give them all the nutrients they need for a nice new shell.

I hope I hit all the questions

19. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Ok that brings me to my next question! I have some rocks i found in the river i plan to CLEAN and scrub VERY well. this will alter pH right? I can skip this decor since the rocks were collected for a cichlid tank.

I have a skull and a mini skull, nice theme huh lol. My other decor is too bulky and wouldn't leave room for viewing or cleaning. I can take bacopa from my other tank to add with the marimo. Not sure if I already said my lfs was out of moss, so im waiting on that. When i go back ill check for the Nat geo food too. I have brine shrimp eggs and a hatchery i built, or is that still cannibalism?

20. Bithimala

Depends on the type of rock. Some will increase pH, many will not touch it at all. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but you use vinegar to test, I think? Drop a little vinegar on the rock, and if it has a reaction, it would be the type that would impact pH? (I think that's right, but really hope someone comes in to confirm).

The moss isn't mandatory, but many shrimp like it. I have had horrible luck with moss, so mine don't have any in their tanks, just other plants and moss balls. Set up the tank how you like it, just make sure you've got some plants and some wood in there, with a collection of hiding places, and you should be fine :)

Shrimp are opportunistic feeders, and they will cannibalize, lol. I would be hesitant about the brine shrimp, especially initially since you have had so many concerns, just because it will be very difficult not to end up with salt water in the tank. It should be such a miniscule amount that it wouldn't matter, but I'd personally not take the chance on it until your colony is a bit stronger and possibly losing one wouldn't be an issue. Most foods, however, probably will have some amount of shrimp in them.

Mine also like bloodworms.