New 10 gallon tank

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just purchased and finished filling with water an new 10 gallon tank for all my adolescent platy. How long should I wait for them to be put in the tank? I have done this before(setting up aquariums) and this time I want everything to be done correctly and not just halfa**ed. pardon my language.
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well if you take some filter media from your old tank it should be cycled within a day or more, just test the water.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The filter in the new one is a lot smaller than the filter of one of the old ones. If I was able to fit one of the filter media pieces, would it be the sponge, carbon, or the biomax (this is an aquaclear 150)? I'm guessing it is the sponge. Please let me know, I need to change the filter media in the 28 tomorrow anyways.
Tom

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Most of the bacteria live in the Biomax in the Aquaclears but the sponge has a good amount of bacteria too.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just tested my water after it has been running overnight and
Nitrite: 0.1
Nitrate: 5
I didn't test the ammonia b/c I don't have another and I'm going today to get one.
Would this be safe enough to put fish in?
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No I would wait just to be safe, what are you going to put in it?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was going to wait until I tested the ammonia and let everyone know first and wait for a response. Just my adolescent platys.
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
O ok

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just tested the ammonia and pH.
pH: 7.2 (average for the area)
Ammonia: 2.4
Nitrite: 0.1
Nitrate: 5
Those are all the readings up to date. How much longer should I wait until fish can go in?
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Until your results go down, then wait a few days to make sure you don't have a mini-cylce. I learned that the hard way and lost a fish.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks.
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No problem, just don't want somebody to do the same mistake, you used old filter media right? If so you probably didn't use enough so it's going to take longer to cycle.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It will be safe to put your platies in your new tank when it is - obviously - cycled A tank is cycled when ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0. Nitrate is showing, but you can perform water changes to remove it. If your nitrate will be higher than 20 after the cycle is complete, perform a water change to lower it. Try not to have nitrate higher than 20 - in other words, try to keep nitrate below 20 at all times. Taking some (or a piece of) the media from an established filter, will help you speed up the cycle. You can also take a handful of gravel from an established tank and scatter it over the gravel in the new tank, to help speed the cycle. When your tank is cycled, and you're ready to transfer the platies, please remember to ACCLIMATIZE them properly. Also, do not add too many platies at once. Since this is only a 10 gallon tank, add for example only 2 platies at a time (say, every week). If you add too many fish at once, even a cycled tank can have an ammonia and/or nitrite spike - and you wouldn't want that.

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
IMO I would do a 90% water change after the tank has cycled before I put any fish in. This will remove almost all nitrates.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks guys. I took out the old sponge pieces and added the pieces of the Biomax to see if that will help.
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would it be ok if I added 4-5 ghost shrimp to help with the cycle? It doesn't matter if they die soon b/c they are only about $0.46CDN ea. so I can get them pretty cheap.
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got 4 ghost shrimp today for the 10 gallon and they seem to be very happy.
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom