New 10 Gallon Tank :)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Maddie57912, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Maddie57912

Maddie57912 New Member Member

I feel a little silly doing this because everyone else on here is posting about their huge tanks but here's my 10 gallon that I got set up today :) IMG_20170806_004041.jpg

2. #H20Nerd

#H20Nerd Valued Member Member

Nothing wrong with a 10 looks good.. is that a live java Fern?

On the left

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2017
  3. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Nice looking 10g looks better than mine!

4. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Nice! What's the stocking?

5. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

You should see what I keep in my 10g...

This looks great! I also want to know what you plan to keep in it.

6. OP
    OP
    Maddie57912

It's a tropica fern:)

Right now I have guppies and one Molly and one platy

Guppies, a Molly, and a platy :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2017
  7. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? Just asking because you said you set it up today.

8. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

The molly shouldn't be in a 10 gallon,

9. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Valued Member Member

Hats off to you from a fellow 10 gallon tank owner :) Love the green theme

10. OP
    OP
    Maddie57912

Yes, I had set it up in the morning, added an ammonia and nitrite reducer, a pH regulator, and a water conditioner. Then I let the filter run for a while.

11. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

That isn't cycling a tank, cycling a tank takes weeks. Sometimes months.

12. OP
    OP
    Maddie57912

Okay then I didn't, but either way the fish are all doing fine

13. m

minervalong Well Known Member Member

Nice ten, i've got one ten going, still have 2 others to set up. I love microworlds.
    As far as the cycle goes, check out the nitrogen cycle blurb. It basically goes like this: Fish produce waste, which contains ammonia and ammonia is very toxic to fish. Beneficial bacteria (living mostly in your filter media) convert the ammonia to nitrItes, still toxic. More BB convert it to nitrAtes. NitrAtes are toxic but to a lesser degree. Two ways to rid the tank of these are either massively planted with live plants and water changes. Water changes also serve a different purpose but can talk about that one later. Bottom line is, you will be doing lots of water changes until your filter BB can establish. Then you will be doing one or two every week.

You will be doing a Fish In Cycle. You can put it on fast track by using Tetra Safe Start Plus, it is a product that contains BB to seed your filter.
    You do a water change with conditioned water, wait 24 hours, then shake the dickens out of the bottle of TSS+ and add it into your filter housing. Don't test the water, don't change the water, do nothing for a week. Then you do a water test, check for ammonia and adjust from there.
    Or you can use Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability. This requires a good testing kit so you can get good numbers. You check for ammonia, do water changes until it is at 1 ppm or less, add a dose of Prime and Stability, repeat daily.

While everyone looks fine and happy today, without controlling the ammonia, things will plummet to rock bottom in a short amount of time.

Keep hitting the forum up with questions. So many people are happy to help you become a successful fish keeper!!

14. Waqas

Waqas New Member Member

Looking good! As everyone mentioned as you have gone for a fish in cycle, keep an eye on the perimeters, from what I have researcher so far, fish health can nose dive quickly in a tank that's not cycled/aggressively monitored before its established.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice