New 10 Gallon Tank With Trouble Cycling

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by F1avor, May 15, 2018.

1. F

F1avor New Member Member

Hi all,

I got a betta for my 3 year old son about 9 days ago. We also got one of them really small (quart sized) tank for it. After doing a little reading here and there I got a 10 gallon tank for it. A week later I got 6 Blue Mickey Mouse Planties (mistake #1 not including getting the betta before having a cycled tank). My master test kit came in yesterday. I have been using Seachem Stability (new tank stablization system) and doing daily quart size water changes. After I did the test yesterday I did a 15% change last night. This evening I did a 30% change. The ammonia seem to be between .25 and .50 ppm before and after the change. However I have about 5 ppm nitrate and zero nitrite. So I am not sure if I am having a mini cycle (unlikely because my tank is so new). However I can't explain the 5 ppm of nitrate. My friend who has a salt water tank thinks the nitrate is from the tap. Anyways I am looking general direction on the aquarium and an explanation for the nitrate level.

Thanks in advance for your adviceassi.

Attached Files:

2. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

you need some seachem prime to help your fish through the cycle so they dont die

3. skllkd

skllkd New Member Member

Hey

5ppm nitrate is not a lot, and yet it is probably due to your tap water (mine comes out of the tab at 5ppm too).

It’s normal for you to read first Ammonia with 0 ppm Nitrite. It takes between a week and two weeks for your nitrites to rise.

My advice- keep Ammonia around 0.2ppm and Nitrite (when they happen) below 0.5ppm.

Do daily 25% water change. No more than 2 water change per day. If you have Ammonia higher than 0,5 ppm do a 50% water change instead of a 25%. You need Ammonia to have Nitrite and this finish your cycle. But you also need to keep your fish alive - it’s about finding a balance. For now do not worry about Nitrates. Only look for Ammonia and Nitrite.

Also - maybe I didn’t understand or read that right - you have 6 platies and 1 Betta in a 10 G tank?

4. OP
    OP
    F

F1avor New Member Member

Yeah, I have 6 Planties and 1 betta. Also thanks for the advice.

Thanks, I will look into getting that tomorrow.

I looked into it and it seem my Water Conditioner is doing the
    I am using water conditioner that seem to do the same thing as the Seachem prime. Do I still need the Seachem prime?

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2018
  5. K

Keith83 Valued Member Member

Does your water conditioner detoxify amonia and nitrate? Some only take chlorine out. Prime does it all

6. OP
    OP
    F

F1avor New Member Member

It will take care of ammonia but it does list nitrite...

Attached Files:

7. K

Keith83 Valued Member Member

Well it should be okay then but I can't personally vouch for it. I can for prime

8. OP
    OP
    F

F1avor New Member Member

Just an update. My nitrite level spiked overnight 3 days ago. It's at 2 ppm right now. I am doing daily half gallon changes and today I did a 3 gallon change. Hoping to have a nitrate spike soon. Also I got another tank for the betta. He was picking on the blue Mickey mouse platies.

9. CoComissy

CoComissy Valued Member Member

It seems like you have everything figured out. Goodluck

10. OP
    OP
    F

F1avor New Member Member

Sad to report that my tank is still in the nitrite phase and I have lost 2 platies and 4 shrimps. I hope I get the nitrate soon.

11. OP
    OP
    F

F1avor New Member Member

Thanks! Here is a picture of tank.

Attached Files:

12. CoComissy

CoComissy Valued Member Member

That looks pretty nice!

13. OP
    OP
    F

F1avor New Member Member

My tank is finally cycled!

14. OP
    OP
    F

F1avor New Member Member

It's been awhile since I have started the tank. Here is an update.

1) I have removed the bit conch Shelly.
    2) all of the 20 shrimps are dead.
    3) the platies a giving birth like crazy.
    4) working on a 75 gallon tank to house all of the platies.

IMG_20181023_203500422.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice