Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

New 10 Gallon Tank Setup Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by ReaganG, Dec 19, 2018.

1. ReaganGNew MemberMember

So here is my new 10 gallon tank that I set up yesterday. I don't have all the plants yet but I didn't want to wait. Got some dwarf hair grass and a few more coming.

I'm thinking about moving my Betta from his 5 gallon and getting another betta for it. It recently had a boom of pest snails I'm fighting. Might just let them and the shrimp have the 5 gal too. Question is should I stock something else? Would putting Tones in here potentially bring the snails into this clean tank? Is that even a big deal?

IMG_20181219_170611.jpg Also I have a sponge filter on the way. The filter in it is a quietflow 10 (but not very quiet Imo) is that overkill? Should I just do the sponge filter?

2. philip884551Valued MemberMember

Nice tank I wouldn't put anything else in it as for plants deco ect your better would definitely like the upgrade if you want to keep your pest snails down get a few assassin snails

3. philip884551Valued MemberMember

Also I would be careful doing water changes as you could transfer the pest snails to your new tank

4. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

I think your betta would love it. It's beautiful as is in my opinion. I also have a quiet flow 10 and it's good on it's own. That and a sponge would be over kill. You know if you bring your water level all the way up it will be a bit quieter. As far as pest snails. I love mine. They eat algae any leftovers, and dead leaves. They make tank maintenance a snap.

5. ReaganGNew MemberMember

Yeah as far as plants go I have 3 coming just tiny guys for foreground that will hopefully carpet the rocks some and some background plants. Definitely done with decor. Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a hopeless fight. Those snails are just in there now. Lol. An assassin and my betta would be nice. Leave the other tank for inverts.

6. ReaganGNew MemberMember

Thank you! When designing it in my head I went a little overboard. I'll try to fit what I have coming in. We'll see if I can. Luckily the sponge filter was cheap. You can't see it but there is a big blank spot for it behind the little cave. The other plants can go back there I guess.

7. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

There's always room for another plant lol.

8. ReaganGNew MemberMember

True that! The more the better!

9. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Not to hijack your thread, but this needs more plants too lol IMG_20181219_164720_555.jpg

10. imbaWell Known MemberMember

some anubias would be nice on the right side, attached to the pot and driftwood.

I would skip the sponge filter and just stick a pre-filter sponge on the HOB intake.

It'll be a nice home for a betta, but here are other stocking ideas, that I think would look nice.

10 Rasbora Maculatas / Chili Rasboras
    10 Yellow Cherry Shrimp
    OR
    8 Celestial Pearl Danios
    3 Amano Shrimps
    OR
    8 male Tiger Endlers
    10 Red Cherry Shrimp