New 10 Gallon Tank Questions from a beginner.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Zepplin22, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Zepplin22New MemberMember

Hello Fishlore community!

I am a beginner at having an aquarium set up and had a few questions for all members. I have been frequenting the forum for a while and it has been helping me set up this tank and felt that I had to make an account to continue this experience. All input is welcome and I appreciate everybody who takes their time to give me a helping hand.

I will begin with my set up and can take pictures if necessary if it helps.

As of right now I have

-A 10 gallon tank
    -A heater set at 76 degrees Fahrenheit
    -An Aqueon filter set for a 10 to 20 gallon tank that cycles water at 100 gallons per hour
    -A neon light fixture along with the top for the tank
    -A PH of 7.2
    -0 nitrites
    -acceptable ammonia i believe its 0 or around that range
    -the tank is cycled to the best of my knowledge and from what I've read here and everywhere else about the nitrogen cycle (been going on for about a month now before i have added fish) I did take samples of the water to a local Pet Co. and had the water tested.
    -The hardness is relatively soft
    - I have 2 plastic plant fixtures in the water
    - I have 1 rock formation in the water
    - This is a fresh water tank

My community:

3 Neon Tetras
    2 Black mollies
    1 Catfish that I can't remember the name of for the life of me

As far as I know my tank holds 8 gallons of water and the fish sizes for when they are grown should be acceptable for the amount of water I have in the tank.

Now for my questions, and any answers would help me a ton and are welcome.

1. Do I need an air pump?
    2. How often should I clean Gravel?
    3. I have tropical fish flakes and freeze dried food as well, how often should I feed the fish, and what quantity should i feed them?
    4. I heard that neon tetras like to school, should I purchase 2 more? and would that be acceptable for the amount of water i currently have?
    5. should I purchase more hiding spots for my fish? the aquarium set up right now seems pretty laid back and the fish seem generally happy.
    6. what is the correct temperature for these fish? I have read from 74 to 82 degrees, is this true?
    7. Will the mollies grow larger than I was told? right now they are about 1.25 inches and was told they wont grow much larger. The tetras are all about .5 inches and the catfish is about an inch, giving me a total of about 5-6 inches of fish for the 8 gallons of water I have after I have accounted for water displacement via the plants and the stone.

I have thought about these questions but if anybody finds any problem with the tank or the fish I currently have in it feel free to let me know, It is all about the fish after all.

I can provide pictures if necessary, and again, all comments are welcome. Thank you all for your time.

2. kellyiswicked

kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

I am not a fan of mollies and never had neon tetras, but I believe they do want to be in a bigger school.

Finding out what kind of catfish it is will help the other members greatly in determining if it will outgrow your resources.

I clean my gravel whenever I do a water change - usually twice a week. That might be overkill though. I also have a big boyfriend to carry my 5gal buckets when they're filled with water, so it's an easy process for me.

That's all I feel like I can answer responsibly for you. Best of luck with everything!

3. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Hello and Welcome.

Pictures will help greatly in assisting you. But for my 2 cents:

Neons do like to be in bigger schools. Not sure if your tank is big enough to support more though. And mollies can get up to about 3" long. I know the ones I have are pretty close to that. And they are big waste producers so a tank your size will require more water changes.

I keep the temperature at around 78 in my tanks.

I feed my fish once a day. If you feed freeze-dried, make sure you soak them first or it could swell up in the fish's stomach and cause problems.

There will be lots of more knowledgable people along before too long.

Good luck and welcome to the madness known as fishkeeping :)

4. escapay

escapayWell Known MemberMember

First off - welcome to the forum!

1. Don't need an air pump
    2. Clean gravel weekly when you do a water change. Might need to do more than once a week due to mollies in the tank (they are poop machines).
    3. I feed fish once a day and give them a day off. I personally do not feed freeze dried, but go with frozen.
    4. Neons do like bigger schools. Normally I would say about 6 Neons in a 10 gallon. Probably not with the mollies though, which I recommend to be in a 30 gallon+ as minimum.
    5. I would post a photo, might need some more but depends.
    6. I would keep tank at 76 or 78 degrees.
    7. If you do the inch rule, which is more of a guideline that isn't fully accurate - you go by the adult size. Mollies, like mentioned above, will likely grow more. Go by adult size, not current size.

5. OP
    OP
    Z

Zepplin22New MemberMember

Thank you both for your quick replies! I will be providing pictures as soon as I can, and I look forward to further input, I must also say I agree with it being madness, but its an addicting, beautiful madness haha.

6. klogue2

klogue2Valued MemberMember

Do you have your own liquid test kit, or did you do all the tests are petco? I'd go ahead and pick up an API master freshwater test kit if not, they really are worth what your pay and more. I just don't like having pet stores test my water in because (at least here) I can't check the results myself and be sure they're correct.

1. Do I need an air pump?

air pumps are used to make water surface disruption to allow gas exchange, aerating the water (to an extent). Since most filters cause enough surface disruption, you don't need one, but if you want one go for it! Some fish love bubbles, others hate them.

2. How often should I clean Gravel?

In general many people do it once to twice a week, during gravel vacs/pwc, like Kelly said.

3. I have tropical fish flakes and freeze dried food as well, how often should I feed the fish, and what quantity should i feed them?

I've never used freeze dried food for fish, but I know with freeze-dried reptile food (crickets/worms) the way it's processed kills off pretty much anything nutritious in them. It may or may not be true for fish foods, but thought I'd give you that info anyways. To determine how much to feed, you can start feeding once or twice a day, with enough food so they can finish it all within a 30-60 seconds. If you start seeing ammonia spikes then lessen the food so you don't have a mini cycle.

4. I heard that neon tetras like to school, should I purchase 2 more? and would that be acceptable for the amount of water i currently have?
    I'd get 2-3 more neons, and take the mollies back. They need at least 20 gallons as they get kind of large, about 4 inches. Also, as Kelly said, if you can find out what catfish you have it would be great, maybe it's a cory cat or an oto? if it's a cory cat, most of those need a bigger tank/footprint than a 10 gallon tank. Pygmy cories are an exception, though with 5-6 neon tetras, I'm unsure if pygmy cories would still be an option as they need a school of 5-6. If it's an oto, they'd do fine in a small school of 2-3, but need a well-cycled aquarium with a good amount of algae. They're also sensitive, so not the best beginner fish.

5. should I purchase more hiding spots for my fish? the aquarium set up right now seems pretty laid back and the fish seem generally happy.

I think this is really up to you, if they're not hiding in what they have then they are probably not stressed or scared, so there may be no need to get more hiding spots :)

6. what is the correct temperature for these fish? I have read from 74 to 82 degrees, is this true?
    That's true, 76 is pretty good, though if you can adjust the temp I honestly prefer 78-79. My fish seem more active and lively with the warmer temp.

7. Will the mollies grow larger than I was told? right now they are about 1.25 inches and was told they wont grow much larger. The tetras are all about .5 inches and the catfish is about an inch, giving me a total of about 5-6 inches of fish for the 8 gallons of water I have after I have accounted for water displacement via the plants and the stone.
    Mollies as I stated earlier grow up to 4 inches, neon tetras 1-1.5 inches, and it depends for the cory cat. The 1" per gallon rule really is hard to apply to a lot of aquariums. While it's possible to have 10 1" neon tetras in a 10 gallon, a 10" pleco would be way too much for a 10 gallon. They're messy and get even bigger too.

I took too long to type and others have gotten to the point faster lol, but I'll post anyways for my $0.02 :)

7. OP
    OP
    Z

So there is no acceptable way to keep the mollies in the tank as far as I'm reading, which is saddening seeing as they are very pretty, and i figured out that the catfish is a Pygmy cory. I'm attempting to get pictures from my ipod but its being a pain in the butt, any recommendation on the catfish? is the tank also a non acceptable environment seeing as there is only one? a quit edit, both mollies are female if this makes any difference.

8. kellyiswicked

kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

Considering it's only a 10gal, it might be a bit of a tight squeeze, though pygmy corys only get to be an inch. They're adorable though! They definitely need a school to see their personality - and they love sand, though multiple sources have said they can survive well on gravel. There's a possibility you could keep both the neons and the pygmy corys since they're so small, but you'd be pushing the limit. With regular water changes and good filtration, it'd be up to you if you wanted to try.

9. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I would return the mollies, get 3 more neon tetras and 5 more pygmy cories. That would make for a nice stocking of a 10. I personally have a trio of CPDs with amano shrimp and red cherry shrimp (soon to have)

10. OP
    OP
    Z

5 more cories? you mean 3 more? I would then have 6 neon tetras and 4 cory making 10 in total

11. OP
    OP
    Z

Well, if nobody has a problem flipping these i cant seem to keep these pictures from being upside down, my apologies, there are pics of the mollies, the cory and the size of the tank in general, again i apologize for the upside-downness of the pictures. fish3.jpgphoto.JPGget-attachment.jpg

12. klogue2

klogue2Valued MemberMember

That looks more like a peppered Cory cat IMO, but I may be wrong. I like that rock piece :)

Actually, I see the stripe I think that signifies a Pygmy. Maybe someone more experienced can comment lol

13. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

It is actually a peppered. I also did mean 5. I like to keep cories in schools of at least 6. The peppered might grow a tad bit too big.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice