New 10 gallon setup - help

RareFeeshCollector

i am helping someone out with a 10 gallon setup. i need some help identifying and advice for moving forward. there are two goldfish, 3 corydoras, 1 snail and 2 plants. the person bought a aqueon 10 led tank kit so it has an ok filter i guess. the goldfish were in a bowl with a 3 gallon aqueon hob filter so i used that along with the filter that came with the kit to run at the same time to "seed" the 10 gallon tank.

identification requests:

there are three of these guys, and im not sure if they are Corydoras trilineatus or Julii Corydoras but i would guess Julii:

Screenshot_20211021_133410.png

what are these type of goldfish, there are 2 of them:

Screenshot_20211021_133755.png

two live plants:

Screenshot_20211021_133844.png

Screenshot_20211021_133940.png

here is the snail:

Screenshot_20211021_134014.png

- i have looked up a lot of info about goldfish needing lots of room and this 10 gallon doesnt really fit that requirement but i dont see any larger of an aquarium happening in the near future. i have also read that they release a hormone that will keep them proportional to the size of their environment.
- im not sure of the corydoras compatibility with this setup?
- the temp of the water that the fish are in is room temp, around 67-68. i have a digital tank thermometer on the way. does this combo of life need to be heated?
- i also have a gravel vac and special filter material for the aqueon filter instead of having to use their filters which is also on the way.
- i did use the water conditioner when setting it up. im not sure what testing supplies i need.
- does the led tank lights need to be cycled or left on all the time?
- does the tank need more oxygen than what the filter is providing?

im sure i will have more questions. hopefully i can help get things setup properly. thanks for your time.

ValkyrieLips

The goldfish are probably fantails, the first plant is Elodea, snail is nerite, and the cories are probably false juli corydoras.

My advice would be to rehome the goldfish.

-In short, the cories aren't compatible with this set-up as is. They not only need more space, but they also should ideally be kept in larger groups which is not possible in a tank this small. Additionally, they should have a sand substrate that they can sift through since gravel can damage their barbells. Temp is a little low for cories who prefer 73-78 so you'll need an adjustable heater if you're keeping them. If you also end up keeping the goldfish they will tolerate the temp in the low 70s too.

-You'll need a water test kit (I recommend the API master test kit) to closely monitor parameters in a tank this overstocked. You'll likely need to do at least 2-3 large WCs per week to keep nitrates low since goldfish have such a high bioload. It would help to know current parameters.

-Lights need to be cycled. Only keep them on for about 8-12 hours per day. Easiest way to do this is to buy a timer for the outlet so it turns them off automatically at the same time everyday.

-Yes, you will probably need more oxygenation in a tank like this, either think about getting a bubbler or better yet a sponge filter.

RareFeeshCollector

Temp is a little low for cories who prefer 73-78 so you'll need an adjustable heater if you're keeping them. If you also end up keeping the goldfish they will tolerate the temp in the low 70s too.
if they were going to all be in the same tank for the near future, what temp would you shoot for to make them both happy? do you have recommended adjustable heater for this size of tank? i dont think the heater that came in the kit is adjustable.
Lights need to be cycled. Only keep them on for about 8-12 hours per day. Easiest way to do this is to buy a timer for the outlet so it turns them off automatically at the same time everyday.
should the light on cycle correspond with sun up? the room has windows but not direct sunlight? or would something like 8-10am CST to 8-10pm work?
Yes, you will probably need more oxygenation in a tank like this, either think about getting a bubbler or better yet a sponge filter.
so you would run the aqueon HOB and a sponge filter or just one or the other? do you have a recommended bubbler or sponge filter to go with this size of tank?

i really appreciate your advice and time.

ValkyrieLips

if they were going to all be in the same tank for the near future, what temp would you shoot for to make them both happy? do you have recommended adjustable heater for this size of tank? i dont think the heater that came in the kit is adjustable.

should the light on cycle correspond with sun up? the room has windows but not direct sunlight? or would something like 8-10am CST to 8-10pm work?

so you would run the aqueon HOB and a sponge filter or just one or the other? do you have a recommended bubbler or sponge filter to go with this size of tank?

i really appreciate your advice and time.

72-73 would work for both species. For a 10 gallon I would recommend a 50w or 75w heater. If you're looking for brand recs eheim and aqueon are good ones. Yeah most of the preset heaters that come with kits are set at 78 I believe so that would be too warm for the goldfish.

Yes that would work.

I would recommend running both the HOB and a sponge for extra aeration. The sponge filter will also provide extra surface area for BB. I've never used a sponge filter so I can't recommend a size or brand. I'm sure one rated for a 10 gallon would be fine.

MacZ

The Corydoras are C. trilineatus. C. julii hasn't been seen in the trade for quite some time. Only a few dozen collectors still have them and getting those is like winning the lottery.
The first plant is Elodea sp. (could be E. canadensis...).

RareFeeshCollector

72-73 would work for both species. For a 10 gallon I would recommend a 50w or 75w heater. If you're looking for brand recs eheim and aqueon are good ones. Yeah most of the preset heaters that come with kits are set at 78 I believe so that would be too warm for the goldfish.
if my tank is at 68(thats what the sticker type thermometer says, are those even accurate?) and i need to get it to 72, couldnt it just be heated from the bottom(outside) with a heating pad or reptile heating pad type thing pressed up against the glass?

RareFeeshCollector

ValkyrieLips

i was informed of these that apparently came with the plants:

Screenshot_20211022_104322.png

Yup, Anacharis is elodea. Elodea is just the common name. It's a very hardy plant that is easy to propagate.

peachsonas

I’d suggest shooting for a sponge filter that is capable of cycling a larger tank than just 10g. In addition to the HOB. Only because the bio load of those guys is going to overwhelm that small of a tank very quickly

RareFeeshCollector

I’d suggest shooting for a sponge filter that is capable of cycling a larger tank than just 10g. In addition to the HOB. Only because the bio load of those guys is going to overwhelm that small of a tank very quickly
currently i have two HOB filters, the bigger one that came with the aqueon tank kit and a smaller aqueon until i get these ordered.

how big of a sponge filter? what about two of those smaller ones that sit in the corners:
https://amazon.com/dp/B078X74T9M

1634927682928.png

or one of these?
https://amazon.com/dp/B06Y5Z6V8Z

1634927618584.png

what air pump would you suggest? something quiet hopefully.
Yup, Anacharis is elodea. Elodea is just the common name. It's a very hardy plant that is easy to propagate.
it looks like the other plant is a Hygrophila Willow.

RareFeeshCollector

this goldfish got into this castle deco and there is an opening to get out but im not sure if i should be worried. looks like hes moving and breathing though.

Screenshot_20211023_143031.png

then this other guy has been laying in this divot created by a water change. do goldfish lay on the bottom like this? they both started doing it after the water change yesterday.

Screenshot_20211023_143056.png
this goldfish got into this castle deco and there is an opening to get out but im not sure if i should be worried. looks like hes moving and breathing though.

Screenshot_20211023_143031.png

then this other guy has been laying in this divot created by a water change. do goldfish lay on the bottom like this? they both started doing it after the water change yesterday.

Screenshot_20211023_143056.png
i got the guy out from the castle and they just lay on the bottom for long periods of time:

Screenshot_20211023_163436.png

here is a test readout with Nitrate at 0-20, Nitrite at 0-0.5, PH around 7, KH at 40, and GH at 0-30:

Screenshot_20211023_163508.png

the heat in the house was turned on so the tank the last couple days went from averaging 68 to now at 70.

RareFeeshCollector

my tank parameters(today) after a 50% water change(yesterday at this time):
pH:

Screenshot_20211023_183517.png

HR pH:

Screenshot_20211023_183559.png

Ammonia:

Screenshot_20211023_183623.png

Nitrite:

Screenshot_20211023_183640.png

Nitrate:

Screenshot_20211023_183701.png

not sure about the pH but i think the only thing thats off is the ammonia?

parameters from the house tap(that goes through a softener):

pH:

Screenshot_20211023_190538.png

HR pH:

Screenshot_20211023_190556.png

Ammonia:

Screenshot_20211023_190616.png

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Revan
Replies