New 10 gallon Planted Tank 10 Gallon Tank 

jdx2news

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first tank ever. This post is to get some confirmation and ideas on next steps with the tank. I've browsed fishlore and a bunch of other resources and I think i have a good idea but need your expertise as im a noobie.

Location - Canada
10 gallon tank.
Stock - Male betta, 2 baby snails (plant seller says nerite or ramshorn), 6 amano shrimp.
Substrate - ADA Amazonia Lite
Plants - Java Fern, Anubias, duck weed, Alternanthera Reineckii, Hygrophila Polysp, and Dwarf Sag/grass.
Fertz - Thrive Shrimp S, was using Seachem Flourish then switched to Thrive regular then ThriveS for the shrimps. This all took place over two weeks and I did a bunch of water changes.
Bacteria bottle from Big Als
Filter - Aqueon 20 gallon HOB
Light - NICREW ClassicLED Plus LED Aquarium Light, Full Spectrum (turned on from 8 PM - 3AM) - not sure if i should adjust to sunset/sunrise timing, it was set up as I was only able to set the tank at 8 pm.)
lighting at 70%

Last API test results July 29th
PH - 6.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
Temperature - 76.6 f

My question is can I add corydoras pygmy as a clean up crew/bottom feeder or some other kind of fish. The betta is calm based on the shared space with the shrimp. He was curious when they were put in but since then hes been chill. The algae seems to be increasing day by day.

Shrimp, snail and betta are active in the tank based on my observations.
Thank you

IMG_5597.JPG

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Should be fine to have pygmy cories, just be sure its a group but they should still be given their own food too, not just relied on for bottom clean up. They will need some bottom feeder pellets or wafers, which the betta may also go for. Which bettas are known gluttons so you may have some overeating issues with the betta. I think thats the biggest downside to this option.

jdx2news

Reaction score
NoodleKeeper said:
Should be fine to have pygmy cories, just be sure its a group but they should still be given their own food too, not just relied on for bottom clean up. They will need some bottom feeder pellets or wafers, which the betta may also go for. Which bettas are known gluttons so you may have some overeating issues with the betta. I think thats the biggest downside to this option.
Yes, a group, was thinking 3-5 (not sure yet as i dont think my LFS sells Pygmy, they do sell pandas). Yes for sure, id buy them their own set of food. I feed the betta twice a day, 3 little pellets/ball and he eats those. I do see him rummaging around the tank for more food but was advised their stomach is really small.

I have a heater, the aqueon pro non glass but realized that the 80f is too hot for most fish/shrimp. and the betta was living in colder conditions before. hes def more active now even though its 76-77 f.

For the Algae - I am still trying to find a balance of light/fertz and seeing if the fertz are aiding growth. I bought two sets of plants from two different buyers and planted two different times. Shrimps werent in on the 2nd planting. the tank is 2 weeks old so perhaps im just being impatient.

Princethepurplebetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ask your lfs if they can order in pygmy cories, usually they can.
A 10gallon is a bit too small for a proper shoal of panda cories (they also prefer cooler water compared to a betta).

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
As far as the snails go, get Nerites. Ramshorns multiply fast and become a pain to get rid of if you have too many. Nerites will lay eggs, but they won't hatch unless they're in brackish water. Which..you won't be using.

Daisytattoo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I second not having ramshorns. They take over a tank very quickly. You have to feed very minimal to keep them in check.

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't add any pygmy corydoras because whilst small, they do prefer to be in larger groups to feel comfortable and you'll see their more natural behaviour.

I've kept dwarf cories in smaller tanks, and it was not until in moved them into a larger tank that you see them shoaling around comfortably. I would say 20 gallon minimum for them in larger groups of 8 or more.

Since you'll only be keeping a male betta, you don't really need a clean up crew. Fees two pellets per day, and one at the time, you shouldn't have any leftover food to clean up. Your Amanos and snails would take care of the algae too.

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
imba said:
I wouldn't add any pygmy corydoras because whilst small, they do prefer to be in larger groups to feel comfortable and you'll see their more natural behaviour.

I've kept dwarf cories in smaller tanks, and it was not until in moved them into a larger tank that you see them shoaling around comfortably. I would say 20 gallon minimum for them in larger groups of 8 or more.

Since you'll only be keeping a male betta, you don't really need a clean up crew. Fees two pellets per day, and one at the time, you shouldn't have any leftover food to clean up. Your Amanos and snails would take care of the algae too.
I’m going to second this. I kept a group of 8 Pygmy cories in a 10 gallon and their personalities really didn’t show. They just seemed depressed and hid during their quarantine. However once I put them in the 20 gallon they were happy campers

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You say duckweed but fortunately that looks like Amazon frogbit... Far easier to keep in check aha. Tank looks fantastic though!

Pygmy Cory also aren't strictly a bottom dweller, they're more of a mid water schooler strangely.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since no one else said it, I guess I will...Welcome to FishLore!

jdx2news

Reaction score
Brenden said:
As far as the snails go, get Nerites. Ramshorns multiply fast and become a pain to get rid of if you have too many. Nerites will lay eggs, but they won't hatch unless they're in brackish water. Which..you won't be using.
So I guess I will have to wait until they grow bigger to tell the difference then give them away if they are Ramshorn then give them away? and get Nerites

For the filter media I have sponge, bio max, sponge. I read that i shouldn't use the carbon since I want to grow bacteria cultures.

Should I be using a sponge filter in the tank or changing the medias. the sponge is somewhat fine, not so coarse. I do see fine particles in the tank, perhaps switching to a finer sponge will help with debris.

Using ADA substrate is also a mess because the pieces break so easily on touch.

TBH I wanted to stock the 10 gallon tank with more fish instead of the betta but i had to adopt the betta from death ( 1 year old that picks and parents buy)

Is there another fish I could stock the tank with or am I being too greedy.
Edit - I am actually looking for an algae eater.

1 or 2 shrimp have molted. Thats a good sign then?

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jdx2news said:
For the filter media I have sponge, bio max, sponge. I read that i shouldn't use the carbon since I want to grow bacteria cultures.

Should I be using a sponge filter in the tank or changing the medias. the sponge is somewhat fine, not so coarse. I do see fine particles in the tank, perhaps switching to a finer sponge will help with debris.

Using ADA substrate is also a mess because the pieces break so easily on touch.

TBH I wanted to stock the 10 gallon tank with more fish instead of the betta but i had to adopt the betta from death ( 1 year old that picks and parents buy)

Is there another fish I could stock the tank with or am I being too greedy.
Edit - I am actually looking for an algae eater.

1 or 2 shrimp have molted. Thats a good sign then?
Carbon won't affect bacteria growth. It will take things like tannins and medications out of the water column though. It has its uses but you generally don't need it outside of those scenarios. The media you have should realistically never need to be replaced, squeezed out in dechlorinated water every few weeks but never thrown out. Manufacturers advise 6 month replacement but they're trying to ensure they're keeping sales up and honestly replacing sponges and biomedia would be a counterproductive if not just an outright harmful thing to do. I have filter media running in my system that's over 15 years old now. The only stuff I actually replace regularly is filter floss or fine polishing pads, and if I used any chemical filtration... things like carbon, chemipure or stuff off that nature.

jdx2news

Reaction score
hanra85 said:
Carbon won't affect bacteria growth. It will take things like tannins and medications out of the water column though. It has its uses but you generally don't need it outside of those scenarios. The media you have should realistically never need to be replaced, squeezed out in dechlorinated water every few weeks but never thrown out. Manufacturers advise 6 month replacement but they're trying to ensure they're keeping sales up and honestly replacing sponges and biomedia would be a counterproductive if not just an outright harmful thing to do. I have filter media running in my system that's over 15 years old now. The only stuff I actually replace regularly is filter floss or fine polishing pads, and if I used any chemical filtration... things like carbon, chemipure or stuff off that nature.
ops, wrong wording on my end. I wont replace unless broken and ive cleaned it with the tank water in bucket. was talking about changing the media filter type. like to filter floss or keep the sponges i have - https://www.amazon.ca/Aquaclear-20-Gallon-Foam-Inserts-3-Pack/dp/B0002AQK48/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=aquaclear+20+gallon&qid=1564598439&s=gateway&sr=8-1

The tannins are fine to me, that'll be reduced through water changes. Its just the small debris in the water that are floating around.

Another question is the intake of the aqua clear HOB, was thinking of tying or putting a sponge/fine mesh so it can capture debris without being sucked into the filter. I believe it is causing disruption to the waterflow.

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The sponges you have in there should be fine, adding some filter floss before your biomedia will help to polish the water and keep the bio from clogging, I buy bags of poly-fil quilt batting and cut it up, same stuff as you'll get from the pet shop just costs less and lasts forever, make sure it's not fire retardant or something.
A pre-filter on the intake is also a great idea especially for a hob since unlike canister filters which pump the water from the polished end of the filter, the impeller in a hob is gonna be seeing every bit of debris that gets sucked in... It'll definitely keep your impellers in better condition and cut down on their maintenance, I use them on all of my intakes.

jdx2news

Reaction score
I have a few questions based on the pics attached.

The roots of the java fern are dark green. is that an indication of growth or that is healthy?
IMG_5606.JPG

These plants also have that dark green tint, their leaves arent growing, looks shiny/silver in the tank. Could it be too much light?
IMG_5603.JPG

I know the green algae to the left is normal but there is dark green algae to the right. Unless i forgot i didnt come across that kind.
IMG_5601.JPG

Lastly there is some coating on the surface of the water. its def not just water. Could it be slime or??
IMG_5599.JPG

thank you

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
jdx2news said:
So I guess I will have to wait until they grow bigger to tell the difference then give them away if they are Ramshorn then give them away? and get Nerites
Personally speaking, yes I would. However giving them away may be difficult to do since most causal fishkeepers don't want Ramshorns.

You don't HAVE to go the Nerite route, there are other options as far as snails go. However, I personally really like Nerites.

You could always get a Mystery Snail (I'd get just one)
A Golden Inca Snail...

A few others are out there, but typically at my local pet stores the most common are Nerites. Easy to keep, and they keep the glass clean.

jdx2news

Reaction score
jdx2news said:
I have a few questions based on the pics attached.

The roots of the java fern are dark green. is that an indication of growth or that is healthy?
View attachment 577070

These plants also have that dark green tint, their leaves arent growing, looks shiny/silver in the tank. Could it be too much light?
View attachment 577071

I know the green algae to the left is normal but there is dark green algae to the right. Unless i forgot i didnt come across that kind.
View attachment 577072

Lastly there is some coating on the surface of the water. its def not just water. Could it be slime or??
View attachment 577073

thank you
bumping as no answers yet. Didnt read any rules against this.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you haven't gotten a reply after 24 hours, it is fine to bump you thread

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
5DD72BB7-09B9-4288-915B-507A20ACA105.jpeg Your tank is made to try cherry shrimp! They are the tanks of the shrimp world, and unlike amanos, they breed in fresh water and make great cleaners...fun to watch too. But I’m biased. I have them and adore them,

jdx2news

Reaction score
Kathryn Crook said:
View attachment 577652 Your tank is made to try cherry shrimp! They are the tanks of the shrimp world, and unlike amanos, they breed in fresh water and make great cleaners...fun to watch too. But I’m biased. I have them and adore them,
yea im really considering just going for a shrimp tank. only thing is I have a betta and from what ive seen RCS are smaller. debating to move this betta.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom