New 10 Gallon Idk Why Test Fish Die

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Daniel Price, Apr 10, 2018.

1. D

Daniel Price Valued Member Member

I setted up new tank. Dechlorinator added. Added safe start. Let sit for a week.
    Temp 79F
    Test subject Feeder goldfish
    First goldfish lasted 3hr
    water tested at store - not safe
    waited longer
    Second gold fish Mid day to next morning
    Tested again and said it was fine.
    Is it because water was too warm? I am planing tropical fish.(will add live plants maybe a potho)
    PS how long can a tank stay empty?

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

You need to do some reading up on the Nitrogen cycle. I'd never use live fish as testers, you should invest in your own API master test kit, it will tell you more than a goldfish ever will.

I doubt the fish died because the water is too warm, 79 is quite warm for goldfish but it won't kill them, only shorten their life span by a few years.

3. OP
    OP
    D

I had read the nitrogen cycle and tested the water at the store and they said it was fine. The second one was fine but i didn't see it eat. maybe it already had a problem. 34 cent feeder meant for bigger fish and turtles. What if i add tetra or mollie?

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Feeder fish in general are not the healthiest fish you will find so thetes a n7mber or reasons they might have died but i suspect ypur tsnk is not cycled. Without knowing the exact parameters you cant tell. Just because they daid its fine doesnt mean it is. What are they testing your water for and what are the numners

5. OP
    OP
    D

i said several times it was cycled. it was cloudy then it got clear. They tested it and said it is safe. i might have it tested again today then. Gold fish just may not have been healthy.

I realized the post was in fish Disease and not in beginner. i was in the beginner area when posted.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  6. Abby565

Abby565 Valued Member Member

There is no way it cycled in a week without an ammonia source. Trust me, get a master test kit.

You need to be able to read the exact parameters to tell if it is cycled.

7. Rojer Ramjet

Rojer Ramjet Well Known Member Member

I'm reading a lot of "they said" from you; perhaps you should purchase a testing kit of your own, then it'll be "this is what I know," instead of "I don't know anything."

Nobody here can help you until you follow the forum guidelines - list your full setup including water chemistry.

8. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

Did the store tell you your exact parameters? If not, ask for them next time. There is no way your tank is cycled if it's only been a week.

9. sloughdog

sloughdog Well Known Member Member

You need to cycle the tank before adding fish. Read up on the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling.

10. OP
    OP
    D

so i basically need to get ammonia even though it sat for a week and a half.

11. Rylan

Rylan Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, letting a tank sit for week does nothing to start the nitrogen cycle. Tetra Safestart, if you mean the bottled bacteria, without some sort of ammonia source added will die off since they have nothing to feed on, especially for that length of time. You also need to be careful with using products that say they bind ammonia in conjunction with the Tetra Safestart as that could also render it useless.

It takes up to a month or more to get a tank’s nitrogen cycle fully established.

Also, why are you using tester fish? Are you planning to keep that species of fish in the long term? If not, I think it would be even more beneficial for you to do some further research into fishless cycling. As you can then cycle the tank without killing any fish or ending up with fish you don’t actually want to keep anyway.

You may also want to get a water test kit. The preferred one many users on Fishlore use is the API brand.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  12. OP
    OP
    D

could i get tetras and add safe start at the same time?

13. Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

You could, but they would probably pass away as well.

Research the nitrogen cycle. Your tank needs bottled bacteria, like TSS, & ammonia for the bacteria to feed on. This takes time, usually several weeks, if not months

14. Rylan

You could but. I wouldn’t recommend doing that. However, please see the Tetra Safestart thread on cycling with their product. Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

There also a section on how to do it without fish. Though it’s seems like a bummer to keep a tank empty for a month you’ll have much fewer problems and dead fish im the long run. I still would recommend you try the fishless cycle. It’s safer for fish, especially if you’re just starting out in this hobby. :)

15. OP
    OP
    D

is said put tss, wait 2 hours and add one fish and then another after two weeks. would a mollie be ok alone for that long?

16. Rylan

I don’t know a lot about that species but I do know that their recommended tank size is 20 gallons or more. So I’m gonna say no, unless somebody else here who has experience with those can say differently. I think it would help you a lot to do some more research not only on the nitrogen cycle, with or without fish, but also on tank stocking/compatiblity. The care sheets for each fish species are a good reference.

17. OP
    OP
    D

Thank you for the help. The pet store has a 7 Day warranty on the fish.

18. Miaw

Miaw Valued Member Member

That warranty might require a water sample to make sure it wasn't your water that killed the fish and the result would be that it was.

19. Rylan

You’re welcome! Most users on Fishlore are polite and happy to help. It’s usually best to ask for fish advice on Fishlore rather than the petstore. Pet stores just want to sell you more fish and products, Fishlore users generally know a lot more and want your fish to live and thrive and for you to have a successful tank on the first try. So do some more research on things we’ve mentioned and you’ll save yourself a lot of time and fish casualites, and probably money too. :)

20. j

jack22 Valued Member Member

Are you trying to use the goldfish as ammonia source for fish-in cycling? If so, I think it'll probably be about 3 to 3.5 weeks before your tank cycles.

You can also do a fishless cycle by returning the goldfish and buying ammonia in drop bottles; this can allow you to cycle in 2 weeks because you don't have to do any water changed.

I recommend the second method.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice