New 10 Gal Tank

Preston47

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 10 gal tank heated and filtered with a female betta , 3 neon tetras and a green Cory catfish.

Would 2 black nugget mollies be okay to add Or is a bigger tank mandatory?

Would the Cory catfish thrive better if I added another one?

Would the tank be overstocked if we added the 2 black mollies and Cory cat fishto existing betta, tetras and catfish?

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollies should be in brackish water preferably and the tetras and corys should be in groups of 6 as they are schooling fish.

SBarrett312

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay so Cory’s need 6 of their own kind to be happy. Also I would need to see a photo of the Cory to tell what type it is and go from there.

Also the tetras need to be in schools of about six

I would suggest keeping 3 mollies together. One boy and two girls.

Again I would need to see the Cory to tell you a size.

I also would not suggest keeping a betta and mollies in the same tank as they will be nippy towards each other.

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I dont know about cories but do know they like schools, so do neons. The mollies and neons are recommended in minimum 20g size tanks. Neons need cooler water than mollies and Bettas. Female Bettas and mollies can be temperamental just depends on their individual personality. If I were you I'd pick one or two types of fish that are most compatible and upsize the tank, rehome the rest.

MargaretMurphy55

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Upgrade your tank to a 20 gallon long. You won't regret it. Such a lovely tank with so much swimming room for your fishies.

Preston47

Reaction score
MargaretMurphy55 said:
Upgrade your tank to a 20 gallon long. You won't regret it. Such a lovely tank with so much swimming room for your fishies.
I think I’m going to do that.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tank is too small and the stock you have now isnt good. If you upgraded to a 20 long you could add another 5 corys and 10 neons and have a happy little tank.

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Upgrade to a 20 long, if your betta has a relaxed temperament then she is fine to keep in a community tank (people do this with 1 male, or 1 female, or Sororites of multiple females, or “Harems” of a male and several females, but personally I would never advise or attempt a harem). The cories will need to have at least 5-6, but more is always better, and the neon tetras prefer cooler water than bettas, but if you keep your tank temperature around 76/77 then you shouldn’t run into issues. Personally I could keep it at 78 degrees (this temperature is good for Albino Cories, and Habrosus Cories, and many others) and would ditch the neon tetras for a different schooling fish.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My LFS keeps Cardinals at 88, but many other factors come into play at higher temps, and Neons are from a slightly cooler area.

I would advise against adding any new species to the tank at all. Female Bettas are less territorial than males, but theyre not community fish.

I would focus on getting friends for your Cory. Try to have 4 at the bare minimum. If they're happy, they will spend most of the time scavenging and playing (think Catfish... Cats... Kittens!)

Tetra schooling is less of a social need and more of a stress response. If they shoal (tight formation), theyre stressed or nervous. Adding to their numbers will help.

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mick Frost said:
My LFS keeps Cardinals at 88, but many other factors come into play at higher temps, and Neons are from a slightly cooler area.

I would advise against adding any new species to the tank at all. Female Bettas are less territorial than males, but theyre not community fish.

I would focus on getting friends for your Cory. Try to have 4 at the bare minimum. If they're happy, they will spend most of the time scavenging and playing (think Catfish... Cats... Kittens!)

Tetra schooling is less of a social need and more of a stress response. If they shoal (tight formation), theyre stressed or nervous. Adding to their numbers will help.
Sorry, but some of this information is not correct. Males and Females really have no difference in territorial issues or aggression, in fact many times males are more laid back. And a betta or bettas (if in a sorority) being a community fish depends on A) The bettas individual personality, and B) How they were introduced. Bettas are often best to be added last, so that they are entering a tank where the current inhabitants are not invading their territory, instead the other fish are a constant part of the environment. All of my bettas are community bettas, and of course there’s always the possibility of bloodshed, but the same goes with certain gourami species, or rams.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kristian Acevedo said:
Sorry, but some of this information is not correct. Males and Females really have no difference in territorial issues or aggression, in fact many times males are more laid back. And a betta or bettas (if in a sorority) being a community fish depends on A) The bettas individual personality, and B) How they were introduced. Bettas are often best to be added last, so that they are entering a tank where the current inhabitants are not invading their territory, instead the other fish are a constant part of the environment. All of my bettas are community bettas, and of course there’s always the possibility of bloodshed, but the same goes with certain gourami species, or rams.
I was trying to avoid going into that much detail, but my point on males being more territorial was aimed at them generally being more of a target (by being flashier and usually more active).
I've had Oscars and Gobies that were peaceful and did well in community tanks, even one Convict. They are still not "community fish" by any means, and it's generally accepted to not advertise them as such.

Wasn't meaning to offend. Sorry.

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mick Frost said:
I was trying to avoid going into that much detail, but my point on males being more territorial was aimed at them generally being more of a target (by being flashier and usually more active).
I've had Oscars and Gobies that were peaceful and did well in community tanks, even one Convict. They are still not "community fish" by any means, and it's generally accepted to not advertise them as such.

Wasn't meaning to offend. Sorry.
No offense mate, wasn’t trying to come after you either. I just figure it’s better to give the OP a full picture of the possibilities, rather than classify what they can or cannot do

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Completely agree. And there are some cool interspecies relationships that make a tank so much more interesting (shrimp riding on snails, Otos/Corys stirring up food to feed Dwarf Neon Rainbows, etc)

When I play with social dynamics in a tank I like to have a backup plan or two. Bettas are pretty forgiving when it comes to slipping them into mason jars for a day or two while you rehome them, but it's better to have a solid Plan B well in advance.

More important to the OP though, the health and happiness of the fish already in the tank should be priority #1, and introducing much larger (even if they're mild mannered) fish into the tank will not help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom