New 10 gal betta sorority

Bobf2022

Hey Fishlore,

I’m new here and just got a 10 gal betta sorority up and running! I’d love some feedback and any tips.

Build:
  • Fluval aquaclear 30 filter
  • Aqueon 50w preset heater
  • Aqueon planted led light (blue/white)
  • Aqueon 10 gallon standard tank
  • Aqueon 10 gal
Stock:
The tank is pretty densely planted with amazon sword, java fern, bacopa, and one plant I forgot the name of. I’ll post a photo or two of the tank, and provide updates in the thread. I’m looking forward to feedback, Anything from constructive feedback, to plant recs to decoration recs! I’m still in the first month of this tank, I did a fish in cycle with fritzyme live bacteria and am monitoring PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate on a daily basis. Thanks all!!
Update: I just introduced the three bettas yesterday, and the biggest koi female is flaring at herself in the black background. I’m wondering if this will subside eventually, but will keep monitoring. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated too!!!

Attachments

• 5ADE730F-99B5-4C96-84C0-D55D9A788611.jpeg
    5ADE730F-99B5-4C96-84C0-D55D9A788611.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 72174CA6-7520-42DE-9F34-C027C0E8A1A6.jpeg
    72174CA6-7520-42DE-9F34-C027C0E8A1A6.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 894AC07C-A184-4F47-90B8-A6E1B760DA91.jpeg
    894AC07C-A184-4F47-90B8-A6E1B760DA91.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 40

sunflower430

(Warning... mostly negative comments ahead.) Love the tank, plants look nice and healthy. Nice wood, natural color substrate, cool looking rocks (are they inert?). Dislike the stocking choices. Cories could use a group of 6 or so and 10 gallons is going to get small for them- they grow to 2.5 inches. Every sorority tank I've heard of has ended bad. Either straight up blood bath, or so much stress they one by one die of disease or not going to eat. In my non-professional opinion... not enough plants/coverage, not big enough for them to establish their own spaces, not enough numbers so they will quickly sort out the weakest. Hope you have some other tanks to move them to if needed... If not, I'd work on doing that while you continue to keep a close eye.

Bobf2022

(Warning... mostly negative comments ahead.) Love the tank, plants look nice and healthy. Nice wood, natural color substrate, cool looking rocks (are they inert?). Dislike the stocking choices. Cories could use a group of 6 or so and 10 gallons is going to get small for them- they grow to 2.5 inches. Every sorority tank I've heard of has ended bad. Either straight up blood bath, or so much stress they one by one die of disease or not going to eat. In my non-professional opinion... not enough plants/coverage, not big enough for them to establish their own spaces, not enough numbers so they will quickly sort out the weakest. Hope you have some other tanks to move them to if needed... If not, I'd work on doing that while you continue to keep a close eye.
Thank you for the feedback!! I can definitely upgrade to a larger tank in the near future. I foresee a 30 gal within the next 6-8 months. I should have added that the bettas are all very young, biggest is 1 inch right now. I’ll keep updating here. Thanks!!

FishArePetsNotObjects

If you can add more plants, that would be best sororities are expert level imo bc of stress for the fish and lots of cover is a must. Coming from someone who has a successful sorority pick you fish carefully i have a 20 gallon sorority and each betta has there own teritory if you have a successful sorority be prepared to put function over looks. It took me along time to find fish that were peaceful and got along and even then they have been together since they were juvenile and I've had to return fish if it doesn't work out.

Bobf2022

If you can add more plants, that would be best sororities are expert level imo bc of stress for the fish and lots of cover is a must. Coming from someone who has a successful sorority pick you fish carefully i have a 20 gallon sorority and each betta has there own teritory if you have a successful sorority be prepared to put function over looks. It took me along time to find fish that were peaceful and got along and even then they have been together since they were juvenile and I've had to return fish if it doesn't work out.
Thanks for the feedback!! I have a breeder box as an immediate backup plan in case things get questionable. I'm keeping a close eye on the interactions, and will definitely separate 2 of the bettas out into a split shared tank, and keep just one female in the existing tank if needed.

jackywacky

you want the good, beautiful

bad, 10 gallons is to small for a sorority, and sororitys can be hard espesialy if this is your first tank, i would either upgrade sooner rather than later or take the bettas to your lfs and get something more suitable for beginners

Bobf2022

u want the good, beautiful
Thanks for the feedback!! Do you advise against even 1 female betta in the community??

Proposal 1:
- 1 female betta
- 4 peppered cories
- 1 male swordtail
- 3 otocinculus

Proposal 2:
- 3 honey guorami
- 3 peppered cories
- 1 male swordtail
- 3 otocinculus

MasterPython

Well Known
I am not sure about 4 cories in a 10 gallon but the Betta should be fine with them.

Otos should not go in a new tank. There is not enough biofilm to keep them alive.

Bobf2022

Update: The betta females have been returned to the LFS! I didn't want to put them in a stressful living environment, and I definitely didn't want to make the tank stressful for my cories and my swordtail. I replaced the bettas with 4 guppies.

Current stock:
- 3 peppered cories
- 1 male swordtail
- 4 male guppies

I'll probably add an otocinculus once there's enough biofilm to keep them alive. All the fish I'm describing right now are juvenile (1.5in max), and when the they outgrow the tank I will absolutely upsize to a 20g long or 29g standard. Thanks for all the input!

jackywacky

Bobf, great decision I know it can be hard when youve done something absolutly wrong (its ok) but great job making up to that mistake. next time your at your LFS look for a bushynose pleco instead of otos, they look cooler and are a good cleanup crew. with the upgrade i would get the 29 bigger is always better (just dont go over your budget) but with the 29 you can get an angelfish.

also what are the plants i there, the one in front of the budda statue looks like a java fern, glue it to a rock with some aquarium glue if it is.

LOVE IT!!!!

FishArePetsNotObjects

Bobf, great decision I know it can be hard when youve done something absolutly wrong (its ok) but great job making up to that mistake. next time your at your LFS look for a bushynose pleco instead of otos, they look cooler and are a good cleanup crew. with the upgrade i would get the 29 bigger is always better (just dont go over your budget) but with the 29 you can get an angelfish.

also what are the plants i there, the one in front of the budda statue looks like a java fern, glue it to a rock with some aquarium glue if it is.

LOVE IT!!!!
Yes but plecos have a larger bioload and 29 gallons for an angle is cramped they should really have a larger tank

MacZ

Fishlore Legend
next time your at your LFS look for a bushynose pleco instead of otos, they look cooler and are a good cleanup crew.
Ancistrus have a much to high food demand to be just there for cleaning and when fed extra (which is necessary) they tend to not do what people want from them.

but with the 29 you can get an angelfish.
Angelfish tend to get vertical growth problems in a too shallow tank and solitary confinement is not advisable for them. This is not a Betta but a gregarious species of cichlid. A tank under 150x50x60cm is simply inappropriate except for a breeding setup maybe.

Bobf2022

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!! I'll start a new thread for stocking options on the 29 gal, but that will be down the road. I've quickly learned that getting some lists setup of stocking options far in advanced is a great idea, so I don't get convinced into a fish I don't know much about by the person working at the LFS.

MacZ

Fishlore Legend
unless you get the 29 tall
look at this thread when yo get into stocking other tanks aquarium stocking
A 13-year old thread is not a reference. The OP back then also only went by bioload and not by behaviour and space requirements. I mean, there's even the recommendation of an Angelfish for a 20 gallon.
Nowerdays you call the authorities on that and rightfully so.

Not to say we didn't make questionable stocking choices in the 90s when I started in the hobby and moreso in the 80s and 70s. Our knowledge has increased since and so have the principles of stocking a tank. When I was 16 I already had about 8 years of experience, but today I wouldn't listen to my 16-year old self when it comes to stocking.

jackywacky

A 13-year old thread is not a reference. The OP back then also only went by bioload and not by behaviour and space requirements
yeah your right didn't look at the date

smileyshrimp

Update: The betta females have been returned to the LFS! I didn't want to put them in a stressful living environment, and I definitely didn't want to make the tank stressful for my cories and my swordtail. I replaced the bettas with 4 guppies.

Current stock:
- 3 peppered cories
- 1 male swordtail
- 4 male guppies

I'll probably add an otocinculus once there's enough biofilm to keep them alive. All the fish I'm describing right now are juvenile (1.5in max), and when the they outgrow the tank I will absolutely upsize to a 20g long or 29g standard. Thanks for all the input!
I would advise against getting otocinclus for a 10 gallon…. They do best in groups of 6 and in 20 gallons, they’re also notorious for being difficult to feed. Aside from that I really like your plant choices and placement :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PoorBigBlue
Replies
Views
Dewclaw83
Replies
Views
someperson
Replies
Views
Basil
Replies
Views
Pandher

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

The inch per gallon rule is super silly and has caused more harm than good over the years. Please don't follow that "rule" to stock your aquarium. Way more goes into the stocking calculation than simply fish size. Seriously. We have entire forums dedicated to just stocking discussions!

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom