Never enough tanks

ninilie
I just bought and set up a new tank 3 weeks ago and still I feel I don't have enough. I now got 3 tanks dedicated to guppies. They are such jack rabbits lol. I got one adult tank a fry tank and grow out fry tank. I do have one tank that leaked and can possibly be repaired but I'm running out of spaces to put them. My husband might also kill me .

Hopefully my grow out guppies will get big enough so I can sell them to my LFS before I'm over run. I might have to look into those tubs that some of you use and see if I can keep it on my balcony dunno. It was very hot this weekend. I went very fast from wondering when my guppies where ever gonna have fry to omg we have alot. I got java moss and guppy grass in the the small fry tank and guppy grass in the bigger fry tank.

On the bright side my alittle over month old guppies are showing some nice color. Most have yellow tails but two have a lepard like tail. I'm feeding them a mixed flake food, dried blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. Water changes about twice a week.

Dino
I agree, there are never enough tanks.

Allie
COBettaCouple
Sounds like some pretty gups and yea, the numbers will keep going up with each female dropping fry every 25-28 days.

ninilie
I just recently found my digital camera and tried to take a pic but they don't look very good. Also my cats chewed up the cord that's used to download them to my computer. Once I get a new cord I will try to get a good shot of them.

COBettaCouple
Make the cats pay for the cord.

ninilie
They will pay if they ever chew on a cord that is plugged in . But just tried to take a good pic of the guppy fry and it didnt work out well. They move so much lol. My camera can do video mode for acouple seconds or so. I might see if that works better. Also I haven't put a background on that tank yet so that didnt help. I would zoom out to small and zoom in too blury lol it made me tired. While I was messing around I noticed several fry with blue tails. I can't wait to see what colors come out next week.

Just got an idea for a temporary background. I had a fish magazine that showed a two page lush planted tank interior. It didnt quite fit perfectly but it is better then nothing and it should make the fish happier.

susitna-flower

Sounds like your guppies are reproducing like.......guppies!

You must be doing something right.....I hope your LFS takes some, otherwise what will you do?

ninilie
I guess I will separate the sexes and get more tanks if no one takes them. But the fish store in question has taken in fish for credit for me before but not guppies yet. I guess as long as they are not just over run with guppies I shouldnt have a problem. Everytime I go to look they have a very poor selection of guppies and someone is always buying all the females. Since I live in a nice sized city I believe there are more family owned fish stores that will take them. But you are right you have to have a plan and then a back up plan. I'm also not above posting on craigslist if I get to that point.

I hope to learn later down the road how to ship fish and plants. I have read up on it a bit but I'm not ready yet to try it.

COBettaCouple
Good idea!
Just got an idea for a temporary background. I had a fish magazine that showed a two page lush planted tank interior. It didnt quite fit perfectly but it is better then nothing and it should make the fish happier.

They are fast little fish - strong swimmers.

Peterpiper
Never enough tanks or never enough fish, its always one or the other

JasmineMcG
So I impulse bought a little one gallon tank kit today I want to set it up for a betta and maybe a snail? Definitely needs a very light bioload because it has a tiny filter. It's so cute and I can't wait to make it beautiful! Anyone have decorating ideas??
IMG_20180802_154712.jpg

Bryangar
Definitely not big enough for a betta and snail.

JasmineMcG
Definitely not big enough for a betta and snail.
Probably just gonna be a beta

DanMk
Unfortunately a one gallon aquarium is not suitable for a betta. Generally Betta's need at least a 5 gal tank minimum. 10 is even better.

JasmineMcG
Unfortunately a one gallon aquarium is not suitable for a betta. Generally Betta's need at least a 5 gal tank minimum. 10 is even better.
So what can I get?

DanMk
JasmineMcG
Maybe a small group of cherry shrimp could work.
Any other options?

DanMk
I'm not sure there are many other options. I wouldn't recommend trying to keep fish in something that small. (long term)

Ravenahra
A dwarf aquatic frog might be good for a 1 gallon. Would probably want to do a gravel that contrasts in color with the frog if you did that.

Most small fish are schooling fish but I think a male guppy might be good (I can't remember if they need friends or not)

I think I've seen that some shrimp can go in small areas.

For decorations, with its size, you'd probably only want 1 decoration in the middle or the back, maybe a cichlids cave a fish could retreat to when stressed.

Adding a moss ball or 2 would help the water quality without quickly out growing your tank which a lot of other water plants would do.

Bryangar
I wouldn’t recommend any fish for that tank. A small amount of shrimp is what would be good.

Edit: maybe a small planted/ dirted tank with only aquarium plants. That would look nice.

DanMk
A dwarf aquatic frog might be good for a 1 gallon. Would probably want to do a gravel that contrasts in color with the frog if you did that.
I'm pretty sure the frogs need more room than a 1 gallon unfortunately. Like I said before the only realistic option for an aquarium that small is a small group of shrimp.

adh/smile
A betta fish can live in a 1 gallon tank. I mean, lots of people do it and he will survive. He just won't be very happy. Not being happy can lead to stress and stress leads to sickness, disease, and death. You dont' want to shorten a fish's lifespan do you? That goes for other fish, and frogs too. Not only bettas.

Bettas love to swim all over the place and love to explore. That's why a 5 gallon minimum for bettas is a good guideline. I had my bettas in a 10 gallon tank and they would explore every inch of the tank. It's amazing how active they are if they are given the opportunity and space to swim around!

Sorry, I know those tanks are really small and cute, but really are impractical and bad homes for any fish. I had one exactly like that when I first started. I had a betta in there, he was really boring and inactive all the time. I updated him to a 10 gallon tank I got for my birthday and I was amazed how active he became. His fins expanded, his color became more vibrant, and he was an over all more healthier happier fish.

Ravenahra
I'm pretty sure the frogs need more room than a 1 gallon unfortunately. Like I said before the only realistic option for an aquarium that small is a small group of shrimp.
I admit that I honestly don't know about the frogs but I thought I saw someone post about small tanks that kept the dwarf African frogs in small tanks. But I honestly can't remeber if they were 1 gallon or 2.5 gallon tanks.

BottomDweller
To be honest I wouldnt even keep shrimp in that. Parameters in a 1 gallon can swing wildly incredibly easily and shrimp are sensitive things that don't do well in unstable tanks. Really all you can do in a 1 gallon is a nice aquascape in my opinion.

JasmineMcG
Ok so what if I use it for raising Molly fry?

BottomDweller
Again a larger tank would be best. Fry don't grow so well in small tanks and need very clean water.

FishFor2018
Okay
Betta Fish cannot live in a tank that size because it’s not enough room for a betta to swim (my betta’s swim across the tanks 24/7) so you will have a sad betta and most likely shorten its life. IMO nothing can be kept in there (animal) because it’s just WAY to hard to kept parameters steady. You can do a nice aqauscape with “sea monkeys” and honestly I think that’s all that can live in the tank.

JasmineMcG
Ok. Thanks everyone

Ravenahra
I rechecked the article on african dwarf frogs I found and it says a 1 gallon tank is the minimum for 1 african dwarf frog. And that African dwarf frogs should not be kept in water deeper than 13 inches since the adults breathe air even though they're aquatic.

So, the OP could have a frog if they were interested, they'd just have to be very careful about the water parameters and there could be nothing else except plants.

BottomDweller
I rechecked the article on african dwarf frogs I found and it says a 1 gallon tank is the minimum for 1 african dwarf frog. And that African dwarf frogs should not be kept in water deeper than 13 inches since the adults breathe air even though they're aquatic.

So, the OP could have a frog if they were interested, they'd just have to be very careful about the water parameters and there could be nothing else except plants.
African dwarf frogs are social though so you shouldn't just have one. You need 2.5 gallons per frog so 5 gallons is the minimum.

JasmineMcG

I had a frog once a few years ago. I might consider it. But a pretty aquascape doesn't sound bad either

FishFor2018
What I think you should do is return the 1 gallon because really nothing can love in it and get a five gallon kit. With a five gallon you have so many options. A betta, shrimp, 2 guppies, ADF, snails, and a couple other things

JasmineMcG
What I think you should do is return the 1 gallon because really nothing can love in it and get a five gallon kit. With a five gallon you have so many options. A betta, shrimp, 2 guppies, ADF, snails, and a couple other things
I'm thinking I'm gonna use the 1 gallon for a practice aquascape and play around with some ideas I have and also pick up a 5 gallon so I can still get a beta

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Blue1314
Replies
Views
Hepting_3000
Top Bottom