1 year
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 3 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 1 Year
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? Approximately 24 degrees Celsius
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 Betta male

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? One third to 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum substrate as well as the water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-40
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Three times a day
How much do you feed your fish? Three small pellets, or three small flakes, or one small briny shrimp (all about the size of his eyeball)
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Briny Shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Just under a year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A month ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Last month I went away for three weeks and left my Betta to be looked after by my sister. I came back and he had some serious fin rot (basically cut his tail in half). I posted on here previously and some users have suggested regular water changes, which I have done. However these seem to have no effect on him whatsoever. I have also been feeding him increased protein, e.g briny shrimp. I have tried antibiotics in the past but these do not seem to work.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? His behaviour has not changed, he is still highly active and alert and still eating. His appearance has changed as mentioned above.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

As mentioned above, my fish has fin rot. I feel as though I have tried just about everything and at this point I just don’t know what to do. I am willing to try pretty much everything in order to get him to be okay. It’s pretty sad to look at how bad his fins look now. I’d love any more suggestions on how to make him better! Thanks!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Up your water changes to once every two days, and give your betta an isolated bath in a cup of water with Epsom salts every other day for two weeks, I'd say. I'm still a newbie so hopefully you get some better advice. Make sure you get the right doses too.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you're scared of using salt as I am, I strongly recommend melafix. I have used it twice now and it works almost immediately. It's natural and it smells good too. Good luck! Please keep us updated?

Fishstery

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm, can you try and get some better close ups of exactly where his tail is missing? He may also be a fin nipper. It seems you have been doing everything right as far as water params go, sometimes those halfmoon bettas nip their own fins out of stress or simply because those gorgeous flowing fins make it hard for them to swim. Without seeing what the frayed ends look like it's hard for me to judge which it is.

frostmystique

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Up your water changes to once every two days, and give your betta an isolated bath in a cup of water with Epsom salts every other day for two weeks, I'd say. I'm still a newbie so hopefully you get some better advice. Make sure you get the right doses too.
I’m not sure what exactly you mean by an isolated bath. I have some aquarium salt but I’m just thinking, surely a separate bath with pure salt water is going to do more harm than good...? What kind of doses would you suggest? Thanks

If you're scared of using salt as I am, I strongly recommend melafix. I have used it twice now and it works almost immediately. It's natural and it smells good too. Good luck! Please keep us updated?
I’m willing to try anything. Do you add your melafix to the water directly or do you put your fish in a separate tank? I’ll try my best to keep everyone updated!

Hmm, can you try and get some better close ups of exactly where his tail is missing? He may also be a fin nipper. It seems you have been doing everything right as far as water params go, sometimes those halfmoon bettas nip their own fins out of stress or simply because those gorgeous flowing fins make it hard for them to swim. Without seeing what the frayed ends look like it's hard for me to judge which it is.
I’ll try my best when I get home. It’s mainly on his dorsal fin, if you could even call it that. I’ve never seen his fins rot this much until I went away. I’ve tried to look for the original thread I posted when I first got home but I cannot seem to find any past threads I’ve found? Does fishlore delete old threads?
His tank is quite small however he has about a million plants, logs, leaf hammocks, etc so he loves hiding and swimming around. I’m hoping to novena him to a bigger tank in a couple of weeks so hopefully he isn’t just bored. I’ll try and get a photo soon! Thanks!

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I mean isolated as in putting him in an aquarium bag. Just a pinch of the stuff for 30 minutes every other day to be safe. (A literal tiny pinch)

frostmystique

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I mean isolated as in putting him in an aquarium bag. Just a pinch of the stuff for 30 minutes every other day to be safe. (A literal tiny pinch)
I must say, the thought of that makes me quite nervous! Do you use this with a Betta fish? If so, how well do you find it works?

I’ve also just taken a couple of photos of him. Sorry about the blurriness, they’re the best I could do.

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I must say, the thought of that makes me quite nervous! Do you use this with a Betta fish? If so, how well do you find it works?

I’ve also just taken a couple of photos of him. Sorry about the blurriness, they’re the best I could do.
Think of it as a concentrated shot. Use VERY sparingly. I've never had to do it before luckily, but it works in a pinch.

Carmen79

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Frostmystique,

For fin damage, I'm afraid you need to do daily partial water changes, for 2 weeks..
Any less than that will not have a noticeable effect, as you have already seen.

Fishstery

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I wouldn't recommend isolating for a salt bath. Truthfully the stress of moving the fish around is more harm than it's worth. IF you wanted to do salt I would treat the tank itself. Petsmart sells API aquarium salt that has dosage instructions on the back just do simple math to divide it down to your tank volume (I always do slightly less than what I calculate based on the instructions in case my fish is sensitive) but it looks like fin nipping to me. Its only on his tail and I see no white fluffy fungus, melted ends, or black rot edging. My treatment recommendation is seachem paraguard dosed per the instructions for your tank volume, keep the wate clean and at least 78 degrees, and get him a bigger tank with lots of live plants (floaters are great) to help with the fin nipping. Also trying to keep the lights off unless you're feeding might keep him from nipping long enough to let them grow back a little might help. Just make sure theres some type of light in the general area so he isnt in complete darkness. The most important thing is keep that water in check since he has damaged fins to prevent any progressive infection. Good luck!

frostmystique

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi Frostmystique,

For fin damage, I'm afraid you need to do daily partial water changes, for 2 weeks..
Any less than that will not have a noticeable effect, as you have already seen.
I agree with @Carmen79, the best remedy for fin damage is pristine water.
Thanks guys for this! I guess I will continue doing the daily water changes and see how it goes, and hopefully add some melafix!

I wouldn't recommend isolating for a salt bath. Truthfully the stress of moving the fish around is more harm than it's worth. IF you wanted to do salt I would treat the tank itself. Petsmart sells API aquarium salt that has dosage instructions on the back just do simple math to divide it down to your tank volume (I always do slightly less than what I calculate based on the instructions in case my fish is sensitive) but it looks like fin nipping to me. Its only on his tail and I see no white fluffy fungus, melted ends, or black rot edging. My treatment recommendation is seachem paraguard dosed per the instructions for your tank volume, keep the wate clean and at least 78 degrees, and get him a bigger tank with lots of live plants (floaters are great) to help with the fin nipping. Also trying to keep the lights off unless you're feeding might keep him from nipping long enough to let them grow back a little might help. Just make sure theres some type of light in the general area so he isnt in complete darkness. The most important thing is keep that water in check since he has damaged fins to prevent any progressive infection. Good luck!
The aquarium salt I have to dip plants is actually the API one, but I do agree about not isolating him! I think I will leave salt unless I’m desperate!

It’s funny you should suggest that as he’s got a much bigger five gallon tank just for him waiting next door, however it’s still cycling! Also got some great floating plants in there for him! And he’s got a hammock in his current and new tank as well, and he’s obsessed with it!

Thanks for your advice, I’ll look into Seachem paraguard!

I guess the question is now... what works better, Melafix or Paraguard? I’ve done some research and Paraguard seems to cover the most if I need to use it again. However I’ve also seen people have both and I’m not sure I can afford that! Which do people prefer and why? And is it true Melafix only works best with Primafix added? Thanks!

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use Paraguard for parasites, melafix for bacteria and cotton fungus and pimafix for other fungus. Paraguard needs to be used for weeks at a time to do its work properly but the melafix and pimafix work right away. It's personal choice, cost, and availability that determines what you keep on hand for emergencies.

Fishstery

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Paraguard is actually listed on seachems website and on the bottle as use for fin rot because of the methylene blue (which is commonly used among hobbyists that breed because of its ability to keep eggs free of fungus) melafix is just diluted tea tree oil and in my experience works better as a preventative rather than a treatment. I've also done some reading on these forums about its negative affect on labyrinth fish but I'm not sure if that would hold true unless you overdose. I just like paraguard because it's an easy to dose, mild but effective treatment which is useful to have for other things in the future like introducing new fish. But it's a matter of personal opinion. I'm definitely glad to hear you have a great setup waiting for your boy! Make sure to post pictures when it's all ready!

frostmystique

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use Paraguard for parasites, melafix for bacteria and cotton fungus and pimafix for other fungus. Paraguard needs to be used for weeks at a time to do its work properly but the melafix and pimafix work right away. It's personal choice, cost, and availability that determines what you keep on hand for emergencies.
Paraguard is actually listed on seachems website and on the bottle as use for fin rot because of the methylene blue (which is commonly used among hobbyists that breed because of its ability to keep eggs free of fungus) melafix is just diluted tea tree oil and in my experience works better as a preventative rather than a treatment. I've also done some reading on these forums about its negative affect on labyrinth fish but I'm not sure if that would hold true unless you overdose. I just like paraguard because it's an easy to dose, mild but effective treatment which is useful to have for other things in the future like introducing new fish. But it's a matter of personal opinion. I'm definitely glad to hear you have a great setup waiting for your boy! Make sure to post pictures when it's all ready!
Thanks for all the help you guys! I thought it would be interesting to compare some pictures I have of my Betta before (when his fins were still large), after I got back from my holiday and discovered the fin rot, and now. I guess the photos from now do show some improvement with his fins however now it makes me really unsure as to whether he’s nipping them or if they’re rotting. Would love to hear anyone’s thoughts!

frostmystique

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What a beauty! I know exactly nothing about Bettas but had to comment on how gorgeous your fish baby is
I agree with @Ronniethewitch, that is a nice looking betta.
Wow thank you guys so much! He is pretty handsome isn’t he I can’t exactly say he’s a rare colour or anything, I just saved him from one of the jars at the local pet store! In fact, he looked completely different in the jar and even different again just a day after finally being in clear water! It’s amazing how their fins change I’ve attached photos of those if anyone’s interested!

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi @Ronniethewitch, Paraguard is used for fin rot also and works very well, I just cleared up a whole school of ember tetra that were bought with fin rot.. being they are so tiny it was hard to tell at the time they were ill. Dosed daily for a week 1/2 cap per 5 gal. If you see any stress you stop dosing. I had no problem, they all look smashing now and tails have regrown to normal! As you say it is availability.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom