Net/Equipment disinfectant?

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about both my boys with their frayed tail fins and it occured to me that I probably cross-contaminated them. Which led me to think about what to do to prevent this in the future. I have been scrubbing my nets and equipment with hot water and a sponge used only for my aquariums, but obviously that isn't enough if somebody is sick.

I read on bettatalk.com that Faith uses a product by Kordon called Formalin·3 to disinfect her nets and jars. I looked it up, and it doesn't sound exactly like what I want: So I looked around the Kordon site some more and found a product called Sanaqua, which sounds more like it:

I checked DFS and petsmart.com and they don't have it listed. Does anybody know where this product can commonly be found? Or alternately, what do those of you with multiple fish use?

As always, thanks for the advice and insight!

Fishface

Valued Member
Reaction score
using that sort of thing scares me. what about boiling all of it?

maybe some of it will melt? ???

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
we get a set of the common stuff that we use for each tank to lower the risk of cross-contamination.

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I got Romeo his own turkey baster pooper scooper and net yesterday. But it still seems like a good idea to me to disinfect the nets, even though they have their own sets now. I don't know how long bacteria can live on a net, but if I netted Cujo yesterday and he had finrot, then he goes thru his Maracyn treatment and I net him afterward to change his water, can the bacteria on the net re-infect him? It seems like this might possibly be a reason that fin rot is difficult to get rid of - we treat the fish but not the equipment and re-infection occurs? Just speculation...

Fishface said:
using that sort of thing scares me.
Out of curiousity, why? The product that I linked is specifically for aquarium use. I would think used as directed and rinsed thoroughly there wouldn't be any danger.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
it seems a lot of bacteria can't survive out of the water (like the good stuff in the filter and substrata), but to be sure, i'll soak the stuff in boiling hot water. Disinfectant made specifically for aquarium use sounds good though. i'd have to order that from DFS since it isn't available locally.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is a product called Net Soak that works really well but turns purple and if you get it on anything it is purple forever. Walls stay purple forever and cannot be painted over as it bleeds through. You need to pour it down a drain somewhere often as it loses strength fast, but disinfects very well but needs to be rinsed off before using in the tank the next time.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom