Nervous New Pond Owner!

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by MatildaLjungberg, Jun 19, 2018.

1. MatildaLjungberg

MatildaLjungberg Valued Member Member

I have 2 large goldfish that I'll be putting in a stock tank pond for the summer/fall as long as it stays on the warmer side. It's a 110 gallon Tuff Stuff stock tank. I've had these goldfish for a few years now & I'm an experienced fish-keeper but I've never had a pond before. The filtration & water changes I've got covered but these fish have never been outside & I'm worried about the water getting too hot for them. It will be partially covered & I've got lots of aeration planned but I guess I'm just being a nervous fish mom! I'll be transferring the large Anubias plants from their tanks into the pond as well. Any tips or advice for me? Thank you!

2. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

What's your average air temperature like? If you get a run of really hot sunny days do you have something like a gazebo that you could put over it to shade it?

3. OP
    OP
    MatildaLjungberg

I'm in North Carolina & we do get quite a few days where it's over 90 & sometimes over 100. I can shade it but the water will still get really warm yes?

4. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Hi! I have a stock tank pond also.. mine is 300 gallons.. I advise lots and lots of floating plants!! Water lettuce works great fro me.. I started with 3 plants and now have like 45 or so.. the spread quite well! It keeps the water very shaded and cool!

5. OP
    OP
    MatildaLjungberg

Will those work with it being partly shaded?

6. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Yup they should!! My pond is in the shade about 85 percent of the day and they still grow great!!:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice