Nerites?

1. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Hi! I'm interested in getting some nerite snails to keep algae down in my tanks. Couple questions:
    1) I've heard they eat algae only exclusively. Is this true?
    2) This depends on the answer of 1, but would they eat snail jello? Anything you've gotten them to eat besides algae?
    3) Are they compatible with mystery snails, bettas, loaches, and cichlids?
    4) I like the ishimaki smooth nerites. Are these the same thing?
    5) How many would you suggest per tank?
    50 gallon: 1 mystery snail, 1 Orange-finned loach, in the future 2 or more rainbow cichlids
    10 gallon: 1 mystery snail, betta
    5 gallon: betta

Their food supply will consist of algae growing in the tank naturally and if needed algae grown on rocks in tank water in the sun.

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

1. Not true in my tank, I've had them on my veggies that I put down for my Mysteries.
    2. I feed them extra algae wafers, I don't have a lot of algae.
    3. They are ok with my DoJo's so far I don't know about Cichlids, and I've had them for a long time with my Mysteries.
    4. I think most nerites are about the same, different shells but basically the same.
    5. In a fifty, depending on the loach and cichlids( I don't know) but if they are ok with the stock you could keep 8 or 10 I would think.
    In a ten I would only keep about four. A five one or two at the most.

3. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Thank you! I actually dont want a lot of snails in each tank. One in the 5, one in the 10, and a few in the 50 is good for me. I'm thinking 2, maybe 3 in the fifty.
    Do you think they'd eat my mystery snail's snail jello (green bean baby food, crushed fish food, gelatin)?

4. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

They might, depends on the snail, like I said I have one that eats veggies but three others that I don't think ever have.

5. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

1)They eat blanched veggies, pellets, detritus, algae, biofilm
    2) yes and yes
    3)depends on the loach
    4) Clithon retropictus (ishimaki) is in the family Neritidae, so is a cousin to the common Neritina natalensis
    5)1-3 per gallon is fair with no tank mates, very little strain on bioload
    50 gallon: that particular loach will probably eat them but you could house up to 30 if you wanted
    10 gallon: 3-5
    5 gallon 1-3

6. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

Well mine has survived for ages on just algae
    He is about 10 years old now. Is that old for a snail?

7. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

My Loach hasn't eaten my mystery snail or made any attempts. The only snail that I've had eaten (not sure if it was him but probably) had died before it was eaten.

8. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

I say your in the clear then, but always have a back up plan, up to 30 is fair. Any number you want under that :]

9. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Thank you! If they do get eaten, well... my loach got a nutritional snack.