5 Gallon Tank Nerites Poop Too Much?

Geena

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I have two tiger nerites in my 5 gallon with my betta and I'm not even sure how they poop as much as they do I don't even feed them that much I give them like a piece of zucchinI once a week. I like to do a 25% water change every week but lately since getting these snails they poop so much that I've been cleaning up all the poop and it drains almost 50% of the water every time I do a water change and it's always before my scheduled water change days because I don't want to look at all the poop off the bottom of my tank and I'm scared the ammonia will Spike plus watching my betta kick around all the poop is pretty gross. So my question here is should I be doing as frequent water changes as I am? is it really detrimental to my my small 5 gallon? I'll soon have a 10-gallon that I can put the snails in to or at least one of them. Also I have natural sand so it's real easy to see.

Here's a quick pic.

Another angle without flash

Attachments

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yep, snails poop too..its kinda cute actually...like goat turds...

Geena said:
Another angle without flash
No, I'm sorry...but they clean your algae up and leave a mess behind...idk what to say...its one or the other. I prefer snails...more fun then algae growth

OP
Geena

Geena

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kathryn crook said:
No, I'm sorry...but they clean your algae up and leave a mess behind...idk what to say...its one or the other. I prefer snails...more fun then algae growth
But doing the big water changes is it harmful to the tank?

I love the snails they're adorable

OP
Geena

Geena

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kathryn crook said:
Are you cycling? Whats your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates at?
Yes I am cycling everything was perfect when I did a water change Monday I can check now though for the sake of this conversation. Give me a few.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Snails poop as much as fish do...in a 5 gallon tank, you have 3 occupants...not one and 2 snails. You will have to test your water daily during your cycle since you are doing a fish in cycle to assure safety and change water if ammonia or nitrites get high.

OP
Geena

Geena

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you for the advice, my ammonia is spiked to 0.25ppm nitrites are 0ppm nitrates are 5.0ppm I'm gonna do that water change and get that poop outta there

OP
Geena

Geena

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I mean the ammonia, you don't think that is bad?

Or at least uncomfortable for the inhabitants? Am I jumping the gun here lol

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's probably uncomfortable for the betta but he may not notice, but it's definitely at least uncomfy for the snails. Not too big of a deal, during cycling as long as it doesn't go above 0.25 it should be fine. How often do you do water changes? And no, frequent water changes are not harmful

OP
Geena

Geena

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
It's probably uncomfortable for the betta but he may not notice, but it's definitely at least uncomfy for the snails. Not too big of a deal, during cycling as long as it doesn't go above 0.25 it should be fine. How often do you do water changes? And no, frequent water changes are not harmful
The betta has been through far worse trust me. I always do weekly water changes usually 25% until I got the snails it's been more like 50% weekly

I let an employee at petsmart talk me into getting two snails one would have been plenty

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do 50% weekly water changes on all 9 of my tanks. Just be sure to add dechlorinated water that’s the same temperature as the tank.

angelfishguppie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
EMR said:
5d48b89e8be1e426270287ef28372c72.jpg

I snapped this today. Suctioned it all clean two days ago. Lovely little critters. But they do clean well!
It may get better, one my snail cleaned the driftwood to a certain point there was a lot of debris. Much less after maybe 6 weeks. I love my snails but I don't grow enough algae in my betta tank to feed more than one.

OP
Geena

Geena

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticJ said:
I do 50% weekly water changes on all 9 of my tanks. Just be sure to add dechlorinated water that’s the same temperature as the tank.
I always do that, and I didn't realize doing 50% was ok

angelfishguppie said:
It may get better, one my snail cleaned the driftwood to a certain point there was a lot of debris. Much less after maybe 6 weeks. I love my snails but I don't grow enough algae in my betta tank to feed more than one.
I don't either, my second tank is coming. I'm setting it up over the weekend to start cycling it'll be a 10 gallon planted tank, a happier home for one of the snails. I'll make sure to get some driftwood in there

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nice! Not sure if you’re in the US, but Petco is currently having their dollar per gallon sale.

Goldiemom

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess my snails are constipated. I never notice much poop but I do clean about 50% weekly.

TheeLadyG

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 4 mystery snails that I stick in a cup of aquarium water while I clean & do water changes, I'm always amazed by the mess they make just in the time they're in that cup! Haha...

New Threads