Nerites Or Something Else?

wolfdog01
Hello everyone, I recently purchased two Amano shrimp for my 20 gallon betta tank. Sadly my child is psycho bonkers crazy and kept chasing them when he saw them. Had to make a hide for them and they have been in there since I made it. I wanted to try them out because I have wanted shrimp for long to help keep my Anacharis clean. But it's just not working so I am returning them tomorrow.
Instead, I want to focus more on nerites! I love these snails and I want more variety. Plus I am sure the plants would enjoy the extra poop lol. Our PetSmart sells the black racer and horned types, but I would also love an olive and a red racer. Right now I have a tiger and a zebra.
Now that you know all of that, here are my questions:
1.) Are those all the types of freshwater nerites? Olive, Black/Red Racer, Tiger, Zebra, and Horned?
2.) Does anyone have any of the types listed? Anyone selling (excluding the tigers and zebras)?
3.) With two nerites and a betta in a 20 gallon my parameters rarely reach above 10 ppm nitrate, usually stays around 5. If I added four more snails, do you think I would have to do more than my weekly water changes?

Lorekeeper
Hello everyone, I recently purchased two Amano shrimp for my 20 gallon betta tank. Sadly my child is psycho bonkers crazy and kept chasing them when he saw them. Had to make a hide for them and they have been in there since I made it. I wanted to try them out because I have wanted shrimp for long to help keep my Anacharis clean. But it's just not working so I am returning them tomorrow.
Instead, I want to focus more on nerites! I love these snails and I want more variety. Plus I am sure the plants would enjoy the extra poop lol. Our PetSmart sells the black racer and horned types, but I would also love an olive and a red racer. Right now I have a tiger and a zebra.
Now that you know all of that, here are my questions:
1.) Are those all the types of freshwater nerites? Olive, Black/Red Racer, Tiger, Zebra, and Horned?
2.) Does anyone have any of the types listed? Anyone selling (excluding the tigers and zebras)?
3.) With two nerites and a betta in a 20 gallon my parameters rarely reach above 10 ppm nitrate, usually stays around 5. If I added four more snails, do you think I would have to do more than my weekly water changes?
1.) While I'm sure there are a TON of varieties of nerites, those pretty much clear out the ones I know of. That said, all nerites can transition between freshwater, brackish, and saltwater.
2.) I don't, but they're very cheap online, other than shipping. If you need some other fish or shrimp, it might be time to make an order!
3.) No. 10 PPM nitrate isn't much in freshwater, and while I like mine under 20 PPM (especially with shrimp), you won't be hitting anywhere close to that with just a few more snails IMO.

wolfdog01
Yeah I figured I may have to order online...happy it's just snails though lol what I plan on doing is calling a couple of fish stores to see if they have any or if they can order some in. If I have to order some I may get a couple of the red racer and horned. Those two types are so cute!
I plan on having a MAX of eight snails in the tank. I figured the horned ones could get to the leaves of the Anacharis better and the bigger ones are there just to look pretty lol. I don't think any types of nerites breed in freshwater, right? I don't mind the eggs, those are fine.
So I guess basically, since I've only seen these types of nerites for freshwater, my stock for the 20 gallon would be:
1 betta
1 tiger nerite
1 zebra nerite
2 horned nerites
2 red racer nerites
1 olive nerite
1 black racer

Sorry if I am going a little overboard on these posts, I just wanna make sure the stock is good and that I won't be overloading my system. I know nerites can live for a while and I can't wait that long to get more lol Also...saltwater to freshwater nerites sound amazing, but I would be scared to kill the things.

Lorekeeper
Yeah, none breed in freshwater.

As far as I can tell, you're perfectly okay on stock. You might have to feed a bit extra, but you won't be overloading at all, IMO. Nice variety, too.

As for acclimating back and forth to saltwater, I've only done it when I needed some nerites and had already made an order for a freshwater tank. I've done it on two separate occassions, with 2 lots of 10 snails. The first time, I drip acclimated to saltwater overnight with an air stone and a heater, and lost 3. The second time, I did it over about 6 hours with an airstone and no heater and didn't lose any. Good rates, either way. Did suck that I lost some, though.

wolfdog01
I only just started reading about the salt transfer...very tempting lol maybe once I get these I will look more into it. Thank you for the tips about it! Never knew that was a thing until now

JLeeM
I have, right now, 1 black racer, 2 zebra, and 2 tiger in my 40 gallon. It's been my experience, as well as that of others I've spoken with, that the black racers spend a lot more time burrowing in the substrate. So, that being said, you'll hardly ever see them.

wolfdog01
...Not gonna lie...that sounds a little cute. Just seeing a little trail of gravel slowly moving underwater. May even help the roots of the plants.
I've never been so excited about snails in my life.

JLeeM
...Not gonna lie...that sounds a little cute. Just seeing a little trail of gravel slowly moving underwater. May even help the roots of the plants.
I've never been so excited about snails in my life.
Possibly. If only one out of eight does it, you wouldn't miss him that much either. Mine pretty much only goes around the tank perimeter though.

wolfdog01
So I think I will change the plan. Looking more at olives and black racers, I don't think I really want them. Having slept on it and looking online, I think I just want like 3-5 horned nerites and 2 red racers...it's just hard to find places to order them. I went to PetSmart and they said they probably don't carry the red ones, but I know they carry horned ones.
Also started a thread asking about them.

picolo003
I have also seen lightning bolt Nerite snails which look really cool but are hard to find

BottomDweller
I wouldn't add so many nerites. Not because of bioload or overstocking but because they would probably run out of algae and it can be very difficult (or impossible) to persuade them to eat anything else, I know mine won't.

wolfdog01
The two I have will sometimes eat veggies but I think they like the taste of algae better lol
It's getting pretty hard to find both the snails I want on one website that isn't sold out. Perhaps I should save the snails for a later time, keeping what I've learned in mind.

Rtessy
I think the water changes would stay about the same, but I'm not sure they would be able to get the small leaves in the anacharis

JLeeM
I haven't ordered any nerites yet. Every now and then, one of the PetSmarts I go to has 1-2 horned, and I get tigers from PetCo.

wolfdog01
I'm so dang indecisive...the horned nerites are just super cute I know for sure PetSmart has some. Do you think snails that small could get on the leaves? If I got that type I might get just eight horned guys, the red racers are stunning but also pricey lol I'm trying to keep things within driving distance and fairly common so that way when I get older and move I will be able to hopefully find the same animals and plants.
But here is another thing...my betta is a bit aggressive and I'm concerned with him attaching the horns on the shells and hurting himself.

There is one type of snail that I have also been thinking about since I salt dipped my plants months ago...pest snails. Mainly ramshorns...thoughts? I rarely gravel vac and I only have a betta to feed. Would the population explode?

This is my only tank at the moment and I am trying to get it as balanced as possible. So something to reach and eat the dead leaves off of plants, two bigger snails for poop, a fish because...fish.

Aqua 59
So I think I will change the plan. Looking more at olives and black racers, I don't think I really want them. Having slept on it and looking online, I think I just want like 3-5 horned nerites and 2 red racers...it's just hard to find places to order them. I went to PetSmart and they said they probably don't carry the red ones, but I know they carry horned ones.
Also started a thread asking about them.
You can order online from Ebay-they sell all kinds of nerites. I have seen horned and red racer ones one there, also.

Good luck!

wolfdog01
Well well well...as I was on my break from work today I took a gander at the nerite snail tank in PetSmart. Lo and behold I found this beauty! No idea what type it is but I love it! I think it might be some kind of olive hybrid cause I can feel the markings on it. Name is Dotty, dunno the gender yet either. Came right out of the shell with the beautiful white foot, but the trapdoor is black! I think it may be the smallest one as well. My betta has issues with yellow and black snails...
IMAG5806.jpg
IMAG5811.jpg
IMAG5818.jpg
1532098585648.jpg

Rtessy
I've seen those at PetSmart too! No idea what they are, but they look very nice

JLeeM
Very interesting. Wish my PetSmart had them.

wolfdog01
Well Dotty refuses to budge from above the water line. I have repeatedly taken her off the dry glass and set her on a piece of decor. She'll move for a bit then stop and stay there all day. At night she moves to the surface again and stays out of the water. No idea what her deal is. My other two nerites are speeding around the tank as usual. Maybe she is shy or something?

Rtessy
She probably needs more time to adjust, but some nerites play to their natural instincts more than others. Since they come from brackish areas, they try to replicate the ebb of the tide by climbing out of the water for a few hours then back in

wolfdog01
She still refuses to stay in the water. She spent the whole day in the filter yesterday and I took her out that night so she wouldn't escape.
What's funny is that I saw the same exact same nerite doing the same thing at PetSmart. I wonder if this type of nerite just enjoys being put of the water?
Also...I think she might have done this too lol
IMAG5912.jpg

BottomDweller
Usually snails coming out if the water is an indication of poor water quality however I saw one of these type of nerites for the first time a week ago and it was out of the water. I wonder if it is the case that these spotty ones are more likely to come out the water?

wolfdog01
I mean my other two nerites are zipping around like usual. This weirdo just wants to be a snowflake lol

wolfdog01
So last week I was contemplating ordering the red racers, but I ended up calling a few fish stores and was able to get them special ordered. I went to a place that is about an hour drive from me and got them along with some plants. Ended up buying four red racers, left one on hold for a friend, and picked up some water sprite as well. If I were to have ordered three snails online it would've cost me around $40, through the fish store I got four snails and plants for $31. Super excited to finally have them. Put Dotty in next to one of them and she seems to be acting like a normal snail so far lol. No names for the new guys yet, well one of the darker ones has the joking name of Edgelord but Idk lol

IMAG5961.jpg
IMAG5965.jpg
IMAG5967.jpg

Rtessy
Wow, those look great!
Any plans on taking a month or so and trying to breed them?

wolfdog01
...don't tempt me lol. I would love to breed these guys cause I know they will be taken as quick as I post them
Maybe one day...

JLeeM
I'm so jealous! Lol. Just kidding, they really are beautiful though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
Replies
Views
ayeayeron
Replies
Views
wolfdog01
Replies
Views