Nerites mating behavior—is this normal for male & female?

augustusbloop

So I ordered a couple striped horned nerite snails online and they threw in a battle scarred black racer (I think) for free. The two horned nerites want nothing to do with each other but one of them immediately attached to the racer and stayed that way for a whole day. The next day they changed positions! It’s a freshwater tank so I’m not worried about overpopulation so much as having to vacuum out the dead babies that hatch. But the switching positions makes me wonder if reproduction is even going to be an issue. I’ve read a few threads here about gay snails. Am I one of the lucky ones? Or is this normal behavior for a male and female?
they seem to be “done” now and are just chillin next to each other. They are in the way back of the tank so it would be hard to get a picture. I don’t mind that they are lovers I’m just worried about clean up later.

StarGirl

Nerite eggs do not hatch in fresh water. They will leave them all over the tank though. You will only ever have the three snails. My horned nerites like to ride on the other snails too. I guess they are goofy that way. They do it all of the time.

Upvote 0

augustusbloop

Here is a picture of my bonded pair, the only reason they aren’t attached to each other is because they fell off the glass while I was doing a water change so I picked them up and moved them up front.

Attachments

• 64C320C2-B908-4E89-B361-FE381264A4B8.jpeg
    64C320C2-B908-4E89-B361-FE381264A4B8.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0

augustusbloop

And there they go!

Attachments

• BAF9E55A-060D-4D05-B48D-988A2574B40E.jpeg
    BAF9E55A-060D-4D05-B48D-988A2574B40E.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

StarGirl

I don't know what it is about the horned. Maybe they are just lazy hilarious

Upvote 0

augustusbloop

I don't know what it is about the horned. Maybe they are just lazy hilarious
as long as they are too lazy to dirty up my tank with fertilized eggs, i dont mind! honestly it is cute that they love eachother

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Their eggs don't hatch so no worries.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Plantedtank2021
  • Question
Replies
Views