Nerites Loose Door, Haven't Moved, No Smell

Tanyuu

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
tl;dr question: If a nerite snail hasn't moved in days, shows no signs of reacting when I lightly poke it, doesn't try to close its trap door, but doesn't smell, is it safe to assume it's still dead?

The gh and kh levels of my water changed recently, something I wasn't aware of until I got my new gh kit when I found out my old one had expired. While I supplement my water with Seachem Equilibrium from time to time, I always had a tendency to assume the gh was going to be sky high no matter what, as long as I used some treated tap water with my r/o water.

While I have this now under control, the damage unfortunately seems to have already been done with my two nerites, who have moved less and less over the past month, until they simply stopped moving at all. It's been several days now, and while before they were cooped up in their shells, the past few days they now just hang out slightly, and show no resistance when I poke at their shells or their trapdoor.

The reason I don't throw them out is because they don't smell yet. Even if they were dying, I'd hate to throw them out into the garden and suffer that way. I've quarantined them from the rest of the tank for now, just in case.

I will mention that there is damage to both their shells from the low gh when I first got them two years ago and didn't know what I was doing.

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had a nerite that I thought was dead for a week. I put it in a different tank with healthier conditions then a week after that it started to move and eat again. It's probably acclimating.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If they don't smell, I wouldn't give up on them yet.

Tanyuu

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alright, will do! I'll put them back into the tank for now, since that'll be better than the quarantine tank. Maybe the accumulating algae will entice them.

Jonnyfishguy

Reaction score
Usually the shell will be empty. If you see black tissue he might be dying. If he has his door and his tissue is a tan color he’s fine he’s.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom