Nerites in tank with no visible algae

Ikan
Hi Everyone,

I just got two nerite snails. There is no visible algae in my tank so I have been trying to feed them sinking algae wafers and blanched vegetable but they havnt seemed interested (instead my Betta gorges himself on this extra food). Is it possible they are still getting enough food from biofilm without algae visibly present in the tank?

kanzekatores
Don't overfeed. If there's extra for the betta to eat I'd say you might be feeding too much. Don't feed them the wafers or blanched vegetables, and turn on your light for more time each day. My LED strip for a 10g I leave on for about 9 hours each day to give you an idea (I have it on a timer). If you're still worried about them not getting enough food you can throw in a blanched vegetable sparingly and not very often. Too much waste can lead to unwanted high levels.

Ikan
Don't overfeed. If there's extra for the betta to eat I'd say you might be feeding too much. Don't feed them the wafers or blanched vegetables, and turn on your light for more time each day. My LED strip for a 10g I leave on for about 9 hours each day to give you an idea (I have it on a timer). If you're still worried about them not getting enough food you can throw in a blanched vegetable sparingly and not very often. Too much waste can lead to unwanted high levels.

Yeah. My Betta will eat anything it seems. I guess I will have to hope they are getting enough food. Perhaps the fact that they arent responding to the vegetables or wafers is a good sign they are getting food elsewhere.

tjander
The OP asked if the biofilm in the tank was enough for the snails. How long has the tank been setup? Biofilm takes to establish. Also I think the snails will suck up any waste from the fish as well.

kallililly1973
How big is the tank and how long has it been running? Nerites won't eat fish waste. They will eat remnants of food and keep your tank spotless as long as its established. Do you have live plants? They will keep them clean as well usually

kanzekatores
Sorry for not answering your initial question,
yeah I would agree that giving a tank more time to establish allows it to grow more algae. In my experience, nerite snails mostly just eat the algae on the glass and decorations and not other waste at the bottom. The key is more light hours on. This will make sure the little guy gets enough food

tjander
Use caution with more lights if you leave them on too much you will have a green tank and a major mess on your hands. Too much of anything is not good.

kallililly1973
Sorry for not answering your initial question,
yeah I would agree that giving a tank more time to establish allows it to grow more algae. In my experience, nerite snails mostly just eat the algae on the glass and decorations and not other waste at the bottom. The key is more light hours on. This will make sure the little guy gets enough food
Your not really giving the best advice as far as leaving the lights on and adding a bunch of food etc... Nerites will do well in a tank that is over 3 months old cause there will be plenty of stuff to feed off of. Adding to many nerites is a bad idea. They are snails so they have a reputation for being slow but don't underestimate their nonstop cleaning capabilities. they are voracious. adding too many they will starve if their not supplemented with other foods much like otto cats but thats a whole different subject.

Ikan
The OP asked if the biofilm in the tank was enough for the snails. How long has the tank been setup? Biofilm takes to establish. Also I think the snails will suck up any waste from the fish as well.
How big is the tank and how long has it been running? Nerites won't eat fish waste. They will eat remnants of food and keep your tank spotless as long as its established. Do you have live plants? They will keep them clean as well usually
The tank is only 3 weeks old... I am actually growing some brown soft algae as of now, and I have noticed the Nerites have become more active. Part of my tank gets afternoon sunlight and have noticed the algae is growing in those areas. I hope this gives the nerites some more food!

Maybe I should try to grow some extra algae?
Yes, I have live plants and drift wood. I was hoping they would help keep the tank clean. This is my first tank and I started to get concerned that they weren't getting enough to eat when they didnt respond to the vegetables/algae wafers.

kallililly1973
The reason they probably weren't responding cause 3 weeks is usually too soon to add them and your tank may not be cycled. Do you know your Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and PH? They will find things to eat that we can't even see but if their in bad water conditions they may not be able to thrive.

Ikan
The reason they probably weren't responding cause 3 weeks is usually too soon to add them and your tank may not be cycled. Do you know your Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and PH? They will find things to eat that we can't even see but if their in bad water conditions they may not be able to thrive.
My ammonia and nitrites are at zero, my nitrates are between 5-10. I added them when I felt my tank was cycled and since then things have been stable.

My ammonia and nitrites are at zero, my nitrates are between 5-10. I added them when I felt my tank was cycled and since then things have been stable.
My pH was 7.6

kanzekatores
Your tank is cycled it seems. I really don’t think you should worry too much. They are scavengers for sure and not at all sensitive. Most people just throw them in there to clean up algae. The only times mine have died are from being too adventurous and climbing out of the tank. Shortage of food is not likely. That’s the best I can give for now; not too give too much food and just watch. They’ll find food.

Ikan
Your tank is cycled it seems. I really don’t think you should worry too much. They are scavengers for sure and not at all sensitive. Most people just throw them in there to clean up algae. The only times mine have died are from being too adventurous and climbing out of the tank. Shortage of food is not likely. That’s the best I can give for now; not too give too much food and just watch. They’ll find food.
Thanks for the advice. Ill keep an eye on them and experiment with some other vegetables if necessary (maybe some that my Betta is less interested in!).

tjander
So this is your first tank. Let me give you some advise, first there is no aquatic life that will clean you tank for you. Fish keeping is a fun hobby but it’s not cheap nor easy. Roll up your selves and clean you tank. Also, I really doubt that three week in your tank is cycled. Do you notice the ammonia rise then fall off? If your not 100% sure your tank is cycled do not add anything else to it until it is. Three weeks is not long enough for the biofilm either.
Take a deep breath and relax and don’t do anything else but feed what you have three or four times a week Do weekly water changes of about 15-20% of the tank volume. Don’t forget to treat your water.
Good luck

Ikan
So this is your first tank. Let me give you some advise, first there is no aquatic life that will clean you tank for you. Fish keeping is a fun hobby but it’s not cheap nor easy. Roll up your selves and clean you tank. Also, I really doubt that three week in your tank is cycled. Do you notice the ammonia rise then fall off? If your not 100% sure your tank is cycled do not add anything else to it until it is. Three weeks is not long enough for the biofilm either.
Take a deep breath and relax and don’t do anything else but feed what you have three or four times a week Do weekly water changes of about 15-20% of the tank volume. Don’t forget to treat your water.
Good luck
Thanks for the advice.

The ammonia doesnt rise and fall anymore. I have been using the API master test kit. It has been stable for 5+ days. I have a small bioload (at the time just 1 betta) in a 26g tank. I believe that the tank cycled relatively fast as the BB colony was able to grow and meet the small bioload in that time. I used prime throughout. I was changing the water every few days (to keep ammonia and nitrite low) before I was confident the water was stable.
I am noticing a 'hazy' layer growing on my drift wood (biofilm) as well as some brown soft algae. I am happy to see it!
I didnt get the snails to clean my tank for me! I like them and wanted to have them in my tank community.

tjander
Ok, good news. The white film on your driftwood is a fungus but don’t let it freak you you it’s quite normal for new driftwood in a new tank.

Ikan
Ok, good news. The white film on your driftwood is a fungus but don’t let it freak you you it’s quite normal for new driftwood in a new tank.
ok. Thanks for the help!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nanoist
  • Question
Replies
Views
Goghtherosetail
Replies
Views
emmysjj