Nerites getting chewed up

Eshelby33

I have an ongoing nerite problem. The poor thing has large chunks eaten out of it’s snail foot. Its a little tank and I have 5 small neons and a ghost shrimp. I havent seen any agressive behavior at all and I have really watched for it. But today when I went to check on the snail, it had very tiny almost microscopic mites running in and out of its partially open trapdoor. (I have exceptional up-close vision, these things are tiny) Is there a predatory mite that causes foot deterioration? Im not finding much online.

Backstory: Our large nerite went into his shell in February and didnt come back out. He was over a year old and very happy up to that point. I left it alone for a solid month because it didnt smell and still held his trap door tight. We assumed it was just elderly and got two young ones. After a week or two of being happy they also went into their shells. One died the other came out after almost two weeks with a couple chunks taken out of its foot. The foot has continued to deteriorate over the last two weeks. I finally removed it from the tank today, it was clearly not going to survive.

bcsay720

That's interesting. Small worms that are usually harmless to fish can be harmful to snails, such as planaria. Planaria are glass-surfers like snails, so it's likely that it picked them up that way. Did you get any new live plants or fish before the first snail went in its shell? The worms can be very small and and opaque white, so they can hide on pretty much anything but the walls of the tank without being noticed.

Pfrozen

I've never seen that before. richiep you might find this interesting!

richiep

I seen this earlier and it as me stumped, I've not come across anything that eats the foot of snails
erinw347 any ideas
In the mean time you could put him in a salt bath which won't hurt the snail but may upset the little bugs eating him and clean his wounds

erinw347

I’m wondering if the snail had died and the bugs were decomposing
(I have to ask, as having an open trapdoor isn’t a good sign)
If not, perhaps it is some kind of parasite. Was there anything added around the time the snail’s behavior changed?

Eshelby33

bcsay720 said:
That's interesting. Small worms that are usually harmless to fish can be harmful to snails, such as planaria. Planaria are glass-surfers like snails, so it's likely that it picked them up that way. Did you get any new live plants or fish before the first snail went in its shell? The worms can be very small and and opaque white, so they can hide on pretty much anything but the walls of the tank without being noticed.
Yes, thats actually when we got the shrimp. Thats why Ive been watching the shrimp so closely for aggression. Im going to give the shrimp away today and try another snail. I kinda feel like a jerk putting a snail in a tank that might have parasites, but I cant think of any other way to rule the shrimp out as the culprit. I have not seen worms on the glass. I had those a few years ago but I increased tank maintenance and they went away. Like I said I have very good up-close vision. My husband couldn't see the worms on the glass and it took some convincing to get him to believe they were there. The tiny creatures I saw were running very fast on the snails shell and looked elongated like a tiny grain of cream colored rice. About the size of this ‘.’ or even smaller.

Pfrozen

planaria maybe?

Eshelby33

erinw347 said:
I’m wondering if the snail had died and the bugs were decomposing
(I have to ask, as having an open trapdoor isn’t a good sign)
If not, perhaps it is some kind of parasite. Was there anything added around the time the snail’s behavior changed?
I thought of that. The snail looked dead, but started coming out of its shell when I lifted it. It may still have been deteriorating enough for decomposers. I went ahead and put the little guy out of its misery.

richiep

Shrimp would not have played a part in whats happened, elongated tiny grains of sand sound like copeapods or seed shrimp, again would not kill a snail.
EDIT i realised after writing this it was ghost shrimp in the tsnk and although they don't normally attack snails I wouldn't put it past them to congregate on a dying animal

Pfrozen

Oh, I read that as "rice" and not "sand" for some reason. Yea definitely not that

richiep

Yes rice your right but the answer is still the same, elongated is like rice to me not sand sorry for the confusion

Pfrozen

oh, it was rice -.- I need to rest my eyes lol

Eshelby33

richiep said:
Shrimp would not have played a part in whats happened, elongated tiny grains of sand sound like copeapods or seed shrimp, again would not kill a snail.
EDIT i realised after writing this it was ghost shrimp in the tsnk and although they don't normally attack snails I wouldn't put it past them to congregate on a dying animal
The first snail was healthy and large. Definitely not dying. The two we bought after were younger, but decent sized. Both looked healthy and happy for a few days before retreating into their shells. I cant find anything even remotely like this on the internet. I mean.....something....chewed up this snails foot and killed the others. Im curious to see what happens now that the one single ghost shrimp is out of the tank. I introduced two new healthy nerites yesterday.
Just FYI
Tiny well established 10 gallon, low light, moderately planted
I supplement carbon with Flourish Excel
2 ADF
5 neons
2 nerites
(-1 ghost shrimp)

Weekly 20-25% water changes
RO source water
Good stable parameters

Pfrozen

richiep said:
Yes rice your right but the answer is still the same, elongated is like rice to me not sand sorry for the confusion
I got confused but not because of you I'm just a space cadet sometimes lol

Eshelby33 said:
The first snail was healthy and large. Definitely not dying. The two we bought after were younger, but decent sized. Both looked healthy and happy for a few days before retreating into their shells. I cant find anything even remotely like this on the internet. I mean.....something....chewed up this snails foot and killed the others. Im curious to see what happens now that the one single ghost shrimp is out of the tank. I introduced two new healthy nerites yesterday.
Just FYI
Tiny well established 10 gallon, low light, moderately planted
I supplement carbon with Flourish Excel
2 ADF
5 neons
2 nerites
(-1 ghost shrimp)

Weekly 20-25% water changes
RO source water
Good stable parameters
Do you have a picture of the ghost shrimp by any chance?

Eshelby33

Pfrozen said:
I got confused but not because of you I'm just a space cadet sometimes lol

Do you have a picture of the ghost shrimp by any chance?
No, I didnt take one. Ive always wanted shrimp, but I was worried amanos would be eaten by my ADFs. I was experimenting with a 39¢ shrimp to see if the frogs would eat it. It was really fun watching it swim around the tank. I cant find anyone with experience saying shrimp and snails dont mix.

Pfrozen

Eshelby33 said:
No, I didnt take one. Ive always wanted shrimp, but I was worried amanos would be eaten by my ADFs. I was experimenting with a 39¢ shrimp to see if the frogs would eat it. It was really fun watching it swim around the tank. I cant find anyone with experience saying shrimp and snails dont mix.
Ghost shrimp just don't do that.. I was asking because once in a blue moon a ghost shrimp ends up being some weird type of predatory shrimp but it would be much darker and have very long front claws/arms if that were the case. You would probably know if that were the case so it probably isn't that. Just shooting in the dark because I have clue

Eshelby33

Pfrozen said:
Ghost shrimp just don't do that.. I was asking because once in a blue moon a ghost shrimp ends up being some weird type of predatory shrimp but it would be much darker and have very long front claws/arms if that were the case. You would probably know if that were the case so it probably isn't that. Just shooting in the dark because I have clue
Yeah, thats exactly what Ive found elsewhere. So....I’ll watch these nerites and send an update in a few days or next week. They are happily cleaning my glass at the moment.

Eshelby33

So my conclusion is....I must have had a rare murderous ghost shrimp. The new snails are happy and after 8 days have no signs of stress or deterioration. I’ll post again if anything changes. Thanks for the input. I think I’ll still try a few amanos in the tank some time in the future.

Eshelby33

Ok! Here’s the little snail bugs. Theyre getting bigger. The video is better, but I can’t seem to upload video. Do you see the long white critter on his back? They run like bugs, they're not moving like worms. Im thinking of trying to suck one up with a suction bulb and putting it under a microscope.
Circled here

Latest threads

Top Bottom