Nerites dying, update

Shady9503

A few weeks ago I posted this thread

Nerites keep dying, help please! | Snails 443688

A quick summary is that I can't keep nerites alive for the life of me, tested for copper, none.

It was mentioned that it could be a contamination issue, as my brother's have 2 other tanks with nerites who do just fine, where as when I add them to my tank they're dead in under a week, literally like 3-4 days.

So it was suggested I do 2 big water changes, 50% one day and 50% the next day.

Well I did the 2 50% changes and then we had to move the tank so on the 3rd day I drained the water down and basically did a 75% water change, any contamination should be gone, great I thought, a few days ago I bought 5 more, plopped em in after drip acclimating for 1 hour, they seemed ok, and the next day they were on their backs, and 2 days later (yes I flipped em over) dead.

Someone said test the and KH, I just got the kit and my kh test tube turned yellow after 4 drops, KH is 4 (right?) and my GH test tube turned green after 9 drops, so GH is 9 (right?)

Ph7.4 nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, nitrates 10-20

Are these parameters ok for nerite snails??

AquaticQueen

Well, everything looks fine but the KH. They like higher KH, around 8-12.

Shady9503

Kdizzle said:
Well, everything looks fine but the KH. They like higher KH, around 8-12.
Would this be why they're dying? What would cause my kh to be so low? And how can I bring it up?

AquaticQueen

Shady9503 said:
Would my LFS sell that?
Probably. If it doesn't try alkaline buffer. It works too.

Shady9503

Kdizzle said:
Probably. If it doesn't try alkaline buffer. It works too.
Ok I'll give it a shot and see if it raises my kh!

AquaticQueen

Shady9503 said:
Ok I'll give it a shot and see if it raises my kh!
Good luck.

Shellyanngreer

can I ask what’s everything in your tank? There are some things in the tank that may be affecting them

Shellyanngreer

When you add them in the tank try putting them in a bowl of the water they’re coming from and then every few minutes add some water from your tank until it’s doubled at least and let him sit for awhile before acclimating him to your tank.. I’ve heard they get stressed out easy from environmental changes so that may help

sfsamm

Have you ever used any sort of parasite treatment in that tank or if you have live plants were they treated for parasites? Nerites are sensitive to most any parasitic treatments, even those which do not contain copper.

Shady9503

sfsamm said:
Have you ever used any sort of parasite treatment in that tank or if you have live plants were they treated for parasites? Nerites are sensitive to most any parasitic treatments, even those which do not contain copper.
No I have not used any sort of parasite treatments before, but I will keep that in mind, thank you

Latest threads

Top Bottom