Nerite with tip of shell missing

jaycopper

IMG_3991.jpeg

I got a nerite from my LFS today and due to lockdown restrictions in my area I couldn't go in and pick one, instead they just pick one and bring it out. I noticed when I got home that it is missing the tip of its shell, it looks like it was broken off, and you can see a bit inside. It's also got a couple chips in its shell near the front. It seems to be doing fine, it's moving around and eating. I have seen other posts saying the tip of the shell can turn white from lack of calcium, but here it seems the tip of the shell has been broken off.
Just wondering if theres anything I can do to help my little snail, or if this is something to be very concerned about. I have pretty hard water so I'm hoping that will help prevent further breakdown of the shell.

Passionfish
jaycopper said:

IMG_3991.jpeg

I got a nerite from my LFS today and due to lockdown restrictions in my area I couldn't go in and pick one, instead they just pick one and bring it out. I noticed when I got home that it is missing the tip of its shell, it looks like it was broken off, and you can see a bit inside. It's also got a couple chips in its shell near the front. It seems to be doing fine, it's moving around and eating. I have seen other posts saying the tip of the shell can turn white from lack of calcium, but here it seems the tip of the shell has been broken off.
Just wondering if theres anything I can do to help my little snail, or if this is something to be very concerned about. I have pretty hard water so I'm hoping that will help prevent further breakdown of the shell.
It happens. One of my rabbit snails has a big chunk of her front shell chipped off, but she does fine as long as there are no aggressive fish that will pester her. Same for your Nerite.

Fisch
Yes, it seems to be hard to get a snail without any damage. All my five Nerites had a little damage (I am assuming that happens during shipping), but they are all cruising along without issues. I have hard water as well, but the shells don't grow on that end. Just prevent further damage.

jaycopper
Thanks for the replies guys, glad to hear this is nothing to worry about

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom