Nerite Snails

Schatzi92

Hello - have 1 zebra nerite snail in my 29 gallon and got him to tackle algae on the plants...but he never goes on them!! perhaps too big?? He sticks to the glass and driftwood.....should i get a Horned Nerite....much smaller ....but i really dont want to deal with unsightly eggs all over the tank. Essentially swapping out getting rid of algae for white eggs. Ugh!

Can a Zebra and Horned Nerite mate? ( i know eggs wont hatch in the freshwater tank)

PurpleReign19

Hello - have 1 zebra nerite snail in my 29 gallon and got him to tackle algae on the plants...but he never goes on them!! perhaps too big?? He sticks to the glass and driftwood.....should i get a Horned Nerite....much smaller ....but i really dont want to deal with unsightly eggs all over the tank. Essentially swapping out getting rid of algae for white eggs. Ugh!

Can a Zebra and Horned Nerite mate? ( i know eggs wont hatch in the freshwater tank)
Not sure if they will mate but its not like the eggs will hatch anyway in the freshwater. I have a ramshorn snail infestation in my 5 gallon and even though they breed like crazy I kinda like them because they stay small and keep everything from plants to the glass completely algae free!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

My nerites get on plants all the time! But the driftwood and glass are easier to get and they probably won't get the plants til the supply of algae and biofilm is gone or really low on the wood and glass.

Upvote 0

Cawafuoshi

I also made the same observation some where on here: nerites are great for glass and deco. Mine was seen occasionally on plants, but my newly acquired bladder snails do a much better job of keeping plants clean.

Upvote 0

Schatzi92

I have tried Ottos before...they d
for plants, SAE and Otocinclus Catfish are better. Also, one nerite in 29gal is not enough.
I
for plants, SAE and Otocinclus Catfish are better. Also, one nerite in 29gal is not enough.
I have tried ottos before...my PH is too high for them due to my hard water. Around 7.6- 7.8. Do you think that they cannot live in that PH level? Ahould i try again?

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I have tried ottos before...my PH is too high for them due to my hard water. Around 7.6- 7.8. Do you think that they cannot live in that PH level? Ahould i try again?
I've had a few tanks with otocinclus. While it's true they prefer soft water, I've kept them in hard water too. I don't really understand this fish. Sometimes they do well and other times they die. It almost seems random. The one thing I've noticed, is that they seem hardier in bigger groups. I know that sounds odd. But, in my experience, a group of 9 otos has a better chance of making it than a group of 3, for example.

Still, if you're looking for algae eaters in your 29, you may be better off getting some hardier ones. I've found nerites and amano shrimp are a good combo. Also, a singe SAE could work.

Upvote 0

FreshwaterCole

Hello,

We use a general rule of 1 Nerite for every 10 gallons. Probably could go over without a problem if you have tons of plants, driftwood, surfaces for them. Pond snails, and bladder snails like mentioned earlier are also great, and shouldn't eat anything but dead plant matter and any leftover food and detritus.

But 5 Nerites in a 55g for example, has been just the right fit for us. We see them on everything lol and occasionally taking a stroll up the airline and taking a walk around outside edge of tank!
But mostly behave lol.
No driftwood in our 55g so that may help?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Andy1984
  • Algae
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
  • dgordontx
  • Snails
Replies