Nerite Snails

sairving
I moved my betta to his new 5.5-gallon tank at the beginning of last week. With this tank, I want to add an algae eater to help with things a bit. The best candidate seems to be nerite snails. One nerite for sure, but would the tank be overstocked if I put two snails in? Also, should I be worried about trying to buy snails while the temps are barely above zero? WIll brief exposure to arctic air cause any issues? (Have to run from store to car) Shoot, even I don't want to go outside but it will be this cold for the next week and a half.

Initially, I considered Cherry shrimp but I really don't want my betta snacking on them.

Aquariumlover1357
Two nerites will be fine if the betta is the only other inhabitant. Nerites are pretty tough, and should be fine as long as you don't leave them there for like 20 minutes or something. Good luck!

sairving
Aquariumlover1357 said:
Two nerites will be fine if the betta is the only other inhabitant. Nerites are pretty tough, and should be fine as long as you don't leave them there for like 20 minutes or something. Good luck!
Thanks! Good to know two snails should be fine...double the algae eating. My car warms up fast, so that's not an issue. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to shock the snails going from warm fish store to single digits outside.

Betta'sAnonymous
Just keep in mind, nerites are pretty efficient. 1 each in my 10 gal tanks keeps them spotless.

sairving
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Just keep in mind, nerites are pretty efficient. 1 each in my 10 gal tanks keeps them spotless.
Sweet, I'm just doing a water change today then. I'll head over to the store tomorrow or Monday for a nerite. I'm guessing it's a good idea to keep some algae wafers on hand just in case?

I try not to overfeed my betta. He's like a swimming vacuum cleaner when it comes to food. He will find every last bit.

StarGirl
sairving said:
Thanks! Good to know two snails should be fine...double the algae eating. My car warms up fast, so that's not an issue. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to shock the snails going from warm fish store to single digits outside.
They will be fine. If you are worried keep the bag on your lap or in your coat on the way home.

Betta'sAnonymous
sairving said:
Sweet, I'm just doing a water change today then. I'll head over to the store tomorrow or Monday for a nerite. I'm guessing it's a good idea to keep some algae wafers on hand just in case?

I try not to overfeed my betta. He's like a swimming vacuum cleaner when it comes to food. He will find every last bit.
I keep some, but my nerites generally have very little interest in them. The bettas on the other hand...

Salem
Keeping algae wafers on hand is a good idea, yes though as BettasAnon mentioned they may not be super interested in them. If you use things like indian almond leaves they will likely also snack on those a bit too though. They will also likely appreciate the occasional bit of lettuce or kale- mine seem to get very excited about carrot slices. If you're up for it you can also make something called snello- literally snail jello. There are lots of tutorials all over the internet. I actually keep both aquatic and land snails and make my own food for them. The land ones get the powdered version mixed with water and the aquatic ones get the same thing but mixed with gelatin!

YellowGuppy
Where I live it looks like this right now:

20210206_144043.jpg

If I'm concerned about temps (either transporting stock or having a customer pick up an order with a contactless transaction), I'll sometimes use an insulated grocery bag or a cooler. If I'm feeling EXTRA careful (or know that a customer will be pickup up in "the next hour or two" and I'm going out!) I'll heat up a heat pack (like your would use for your back/neck or whatever) to slightly warmer than room temp and leave it in there.

sairving
Salem said:
Keeping algae wafers on hand is a good idea, yes though as BettasAnon mentioned they may not be super interested in them. If you use things like indian almond leaves they will likely also snack on those a bit too though. They will also likely appreciate the occasional bit of lettuce or kale- mine seem to get very excited about carrot slices. If you're up for it you can also make something called snello- literally snail jello. There are lots of tutorials all over the internet. I actually keep both aquatic and land snails and make my own food for them. The land ones get the powdered version mixed with water and the aquatic ones get the same thing but mixed with gelatin!
We usually have lettuce and carrots around so that may be a good alternative to algae wafers. I'll have to look into a recipe for snello. How often do you feed them? I'm guessing it's when they've pretty much cleaned all the algae out of the tank?
YellowGuppy said:
Where I live it looks like this right now:

20210206_144043.jpg

If I'm concerned about temps (either transporting stock or having a customer pick up an order with a contactless transaction), I'll sometimes use an insulated grocery bag or a cooler. If I'm feeling EXTRA careful (or know that a customer will be pickup up in "the next hour or two" and I'm going out!) I'll heat up a heat pack (like your would use for your back/neck or whatever) to slightly warmer than room temp and leave it in there.
We have a ton of snow too. Two storms in a week. I'd rather have snow storms though than deal with the single digits temps and negative wind-chills.

Maybe I'll bring an insulated lunch bag and a hand warmer along. That should keep the snail toasty.

Salem
sairving said:
We usually have lettuce and carrots around so that may be a good alternative to algae wafers. I'll have to look into a recipe for snello. How often do you feed them? I'm guessing it's when they've pretty much cleaned all the algae out of the tank?
I don't have a whole lot of algae and never really had a notable amount to begin with to be honest. I give them one 1cm x 1cm x 2cm chunk about once a week. For context my tank is 20 gallons and has a nerite, 3 black devil snails, and many ramshorns. In the tank is a lot of botanicals and floating plants as well as mulm build up that they snack on as well. It takes them about a day to eat it all.
For just one or two you could do smaller pieces or remove it after a few hours to avoid too much ammonia from uneaten bits.

sairving
I went out and bought my snail today. Yay! I liked the shell.
IMG_20210208_142513556.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom