Nerite Snails

W88kuang
Hi, I getting some nitrite snails for my 20 gallon tank to help control diatoms. Just want check what is right qty and do I need to quarantine them after getting from my lfs? Thks.

bcsay720
Hello! Welcome to Fish Lore. I just want to double check to see if you mean nerite snails. You can get probably 3 or 4 for your tank, depending on how small they are. For example, I have one that is over 1 inch long in my 10g, which is rather large, so I only have 1. If you get 2 large ones, you can have 2. If you get small ones, I'd say 3 or 4.

I, personally, didn't quarantine my snail. Snails need a tank that already has some grime in it. I acclimated it to the water by adding a bit of tank water into the bag it came in over the course of an hour and then added it into the tank. Hope this helps!

Fishfriendof315
Snails are hardy enough to plop right on in, but bcsay is definitely right about the quantity, they're voracious gunk eaters so you don't need many.

RayClem
Is your tank new? It is quite common for new tanks to develop a diatom bloom when they are undergoing the cycling process. Once things stabilize, the diatoms normally die off.

Diatoms have shells make of silicates. They can only thrive if there are silicates in the water. Sometimes silicates will be introduced to the tank through the substrate. Once these silicates have been consumed, the diatoms will die off. The exception to this would be if your tap water contains a high level of silicates. In that case, the diatoms might proliferate.

If possible, check with your water supplier to see if there are silicates in the tap water. If that is the case, you can use one of the products designed to remove phosphates from the water. They will remove silicates as well. That will stop the diatom bloom in your tank.

If your tank is new, it is best to wait a while before adding larger snails like Nerites and Mystery snails. They need a buildup of biofilm and algae on tank surfaces. However, if you are not adverse to the smaller "pest" snails like bladder snails and pond snails. They will do just fine in a new tank.

W88kuang
RayClem said:
Is your tank new? It is quite common for new tanks to develop a diatom bloom when they are undergoing the cycling process. Once things stabilize, the diatoms normally die off.

Diatoms have shells make of silicates. They can only thrive if there are silicates in the water. Sometimes silicates will be introduced to the tank through the substrate. Once these silicates have been consumed, the diatoms will die off. The exception to this would be if your tap water contains a high level of silicates. In that case, the diatoms might proliferate.

If possible, check with your water supplier to see if there are silicates in the tap water. If that is the case, you can use one of the products designed to remove phosphates from the water. They will remove silicates as well. That will stop the diatom bloom in your tank.

If your tank is new, it is best to wait a while before adding larger snails like Nerites and Mystery snails. They need a buildup of biofilm and algae on tank surfaces. However, if you are not adverse to the smaller "pest" snails like bladder snails and pond snails. They will do just fine in a new tank.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. It's a new set up for my German Blue Rams. Into the 2nd week now. The diatoms just started to bloom 2 days ago. It's appearing on the surface of my anubias barteri and rocks. Probably I will wait it out with more frequent water change first.

jmaldo
As mentioned "Diatom Blooms" generally happen in "New" setups. Right before I do water changes, I rub off as much as I can then vacuum. Just depends,
remember "Every tank is as different as a fingerprint".
Oh, by the way, yes "Nerites" might help, but be prepared to be "Snaildazzled" a term another member used for the nerites laying eggs everywhere.

Nerite eggs.jpg

Good Luck!

W88kuang
jmaldo said:
As mentioned "Diatom Blooms" generally happen in "New" setups. Right before I do water changes, I rub off as much as I can then vacuum. Just depends,
remember "Every tank is as different as a fingerprint".
Oh, by the way, yes "Nerites" might help, but be prepared to be "Snaildazzled" a term another member used for the nerites laying eggs everywhere.

Nerite eggs.jpg

Good Luck!
Thanks! I know their eggs can be annoying. Not sure the GBR will feed on them.. ha ha
bcsay720 said:
Hello! Welcome to Fish Lore. I just want to double check to see if you mean nerite snails. You can get probably 3 or 4 for your tank, depending on how small they are. For example, I have one that is over 1 inch long in my 10g, which is rather large, so I only have 1. If you get 2 large ones, you can have 2. If you get small ones, I'd say 3 or 4.

I, personally, didn't quarantine my snail. Snails need a tank that already has some grime in it. I acclimated it to the water by adding a bit of tank water into the bag it came in over the course of an hour and then added it into the tank. Hope this helps!
Thanks

Latest threads

Top Bottom