Nerite snails

hkirchen
Ok. I got three nerite snails from my LFS. They had to order them. They were in saltwater, but I want to have them in my betta tanks. How do you acclimate them from saltwater to fresh? The guy at the LFS could not believe that I was putting them in a Freshwater tank. He had never heard that they could transition.

So:
1. How do you acclimate them to Freshwater when they have been in SW.

pinkfloydpuffer
Are you sure you got the right kind of nerite? What do they look like? I think there are some nerites that are purely SW, but I'm not 100% on that.

hkirchen
They are white with black stripes sort of. They are about .5 inches, and all three I acclimated slowly drip method for over an hour. They are all three inactive. I think they are all dead.

Where do you get the ones that can go in FW? My LFS never heard of them. They ordered my three, but they must be pure SW.

pinkfloydpuffer
I got mine at my lfs. Mine are called 'olive nerites', they range in color from olive green to brown to black. I am not sure if the striped ones are Saltwater or not.

hkirchen
Do you know what the scientific name is? I might try ordering them that way.

pinkfloydpuffer
According to , it's nerita sp. lol

hkirchen
Thank you! I have ordered the correct snails, and have disposed of the dead ones. I feel stupid, but I did tell them what I wanted to do with the snails. I should have done more research to see if there were more than one nerite snail.

pinkfloydpuffer
Don't worry about it! I had no idea there were 2 kinds until the people at the lfs told me That's why I love that store, lol.

Top Bottom