5 Gallon Tank Nerite Snails

Geena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I have two tiger nerites in my 5 gallon with my betta and I'm not even sure how they poop as much as they do I don't even feed them that much I give them like a piece of zucchini once a week. I like to do a 25% water change every week but lately since getting these snails they poop so much that I've been cleaning up all the poop and it drains almost 50% of the water every time I do a water change and it's always before my scheduled water change days because I don't want to look at all the poop off the bottom of my tank and I'm scared the ammonia will Spike plus watching my betta kick around all the poop is pretty gross. So my question here is should I be doing as frequent water changes as I am? is it really detrimental to my my small 5 gallon? I'll soon have a 10-gallon that I can put the snails in to or at least one of them. Also I have natural sand so it's real easy to see.

Last edited:

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I have two tiger nerites in my 5 gallon with my betta and I'm not even sure how they poop as much as they do I don't even feed them that much I give them like a piece of zucchini once a week. I like to do a 25% water change every week but lately since getting these snails they poop so much that I've been cleaning up all the poop and it drains almost 50% of the water every time I do a water change and it's always before my scheduled water change days because I don't want to look at all the poop off the bottom of my tank and I'm scared the ammonia will Spike plus watching my betta kick around all the poop is pretty gross. So my question here is should I be doing as frequent water changes as I am? is it really detrimental to my my small 5 gallon? I'll soon have a 10-gallon that I can put the snails in to or at least one of them. Also I have natural sand so it's real easy to see.
I have to do the same thing and it causes me no issues. I have a mystery snail in my 5 gallon with a betta and he just covers the entire tank with poop... I change nearly all of the water whenever I do water changes, I would say 75-85% weekly. Smaller tanks are fine with larger water changes and often need it because parameters are obviously harder to maintain. As long as your filter media and sand are staying wet during the process you shouldn’t have any sort of crash. I try and do smaller ones whenever I can to minimize the amount I’ll have to clean later.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom