Nerite Snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by BobJ, Apr 13, 2018.

1. BobJNew MemberMember

Hello- I am new to this forum. I have a planted 50G tank with three Angles and a few Rasporas (sp), and a few Corys at the bottom. A couple of months ago I got a few Nerite snails. After awhile I had many little white dots that turned into unknown snails. They may have hitched a ride on some plants. Now there are many. I have been removing them whenever I see them. I was told they may be pond snails, gray in color. Is there a "easy" way of getting rid of them. Thanks for any advice.
    BobJ
    Seattle

2. jaymethyValued MemberMember

The tiny unknown snails are not nerite snails, as nerites only reproduce in brackish water.

3. bitseriously

bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Ya, I think you're mixing 2 snails into one.
    Yes, the nerites are the ones laying the single eggs that look like white dots. But they shouldn't hatch without brackish water. So any baby snails you're seeing are a second population, ie a totally different type of snail.
    As to getting rid of them, you could get an assassin snail (ie one), and it would likely solve the problem over time. If you get more than 1 assassin, then down the road, you'll be asking how to get rid of assassin snails. I'm not sure if assassins will kill nerites, anyone else?
    In reality, in a tank that big, you're likely to always have snails. At low population levels, a 10 minute find-and-remove campaign once per week will keep them from exploding, but if they do get out of hand (or already have done so), manual removal would be... impractical. My fish love tiny baby snails, once I've squished them. I figure it's a good source of protein for them, and re-releases calcium into the tank.

4. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Probably a pond snail. As for Assassins. NO. Just NO. Even one ( you could have a 50% chance of it being female and egg laying and have several hundred babies ) and besides the point of needing to feed it after the pest snails are gone, etc. Its never a good idea unless you thoroughly research the pros and cons.
    Yes, an Assassin CAN take down a Nerite IF hungry enough - but the main point is, you don't need to get an assassin UNLESS you have several hundred pest snails to get rid of.

Here is the way I used to get rid of pest snails - get a water bottle and load it with algae wafers, etc and just dump the entire bottle out when filled ( I usually got at least 30-50 snails a week with this method ) punch a hole in the cap if you have nosy fish you want to keep out.

snail trap.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice