Nerite Snails

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Itsme, Apr 8, 2017.

1. ItsmeValued MemberMember

I've decided to get 3 Nerites for my Bettas 5 gal,where can you get them?How much are they?

Thanks!

2. Rebecca Talbott

Rebecca TalbottNew MemberMember

I get mine at Petco. They are usually $3-$4 I think.

3. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

You might be able to find them at a lfs, check a bunch of different ones in your area. If you can't find any you could order some online. Price varys greatly by location.

4. bgclarke

bgclarkeWell Known MemberMember

The general rule I've seen is 1 nerite snail per 5 gallons.

I get mine at my local fish store (I.e. not petsmart).
    They are usually less than 2 dollars each.

5. OP
    OP
    I

ItsmeValued MemberMember

Would 3 in a 5gal be fine?

6. Polyrhythm

PolyrhythmValued MemberMember

You could maybe try a smaller variety like horned nerites, but I think 3 in a 5 would push it a bit. They're poop machines lol.

7. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

It would also need to be a mature tank. A fresh tank and you will have dead, starved, nerites. I would do 1 or 2 personally. But all my tanks are also heavily planted which does make a difference.

8. Alhana

AlhanaValued MemberMember

If you go with the regular nerite snails I would probably say only get one cause they seem to eat a ton of algae. Even the small horned nerites are algae eating machines. I have 4 in my 20 gallon and I'm always worried they aren't getting enough to eat as I never see algae in the tank. The tank had a bunch of algae before I put them in.

9. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Sometimes you have to feed them... And generate some extra algae. One way is a jar with rocks and tank water in the sun. It will grow so.e nice nerite food.

10. Rebecca Talbott

I drop a baby carrot in the tank when the algea gets low. The snails love it. They'll nibble for hours at a time.

11. Alhana

AlhanaValued MemberMember

I'll have to try that, thanks! I've tried cucumber and other things like that but they seem to ignore it. I've been worried they are starving (one did die and my bigger nerite jumped ship) so I've been trying to leave my light on for really long periods in order to actually grow algae.

12. Rebecca Talbott

They don't always go to it right away, especially a new snail. Sometimes it takes a day or two. But once they find it they're hooked.

13. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

I have a ten year old Tiger Nerite in an 11 gallon tank. When they are healthy and well fed all you need is one nerite in this sized tank.

You can measure the health of the animal by the size of the foot. Do make sure to get one with a totally undamaged shell if you want it to live a long and healthy life.

I do leave most of the glass untouched but sometimes (once a month) clean the front glass to get a better view as the nerite does not make it crystal clear.

I have not been successful in persuading mine to feed on anything other than algae.

As ze has been alone for many years ze does not lay any eggs.

16.07.02 Zebra Nerite Snail Neritina natalensis Large Hex Aquarium Steve Joul - Copy.JPGNerite Aquarium Hex Steve Joul 08.10.06 024 - Copy.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice