Nerite Snails

Itsme

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've decided to get 3 Nerites for my Bettas 5 gal,where can you get them?How much are they?

Thanks!

Rebecca Talbott

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I get mine at Petco. They are usually $3-$4 I think.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You might be able to find them at a lfs, check a bunch of different ones in your area. If you can't find any you could order some online. Price varys greatly by location.

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The general rule I've seen is 1 nerite snail per 5 gallons.

I get mine at my local fish store (I.e. not petsmart).
They are usually less than 2 dollars each.

Itsme

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Would 3 in a 5gal be fine?

Polyrhythm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could maybe try a smaller variety like horned nerites, but I think 3 in a 5 would push it a bit. They're poop machines lol.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Polyrhythm said:
You could maybe try a smaller variety like horned nerites, but I think 3 in a 5 would push it a bit. They're poop machines lol.
It would also need to be a mature tank. A fresh tank and you will have dead, starved, nerites. I would do 1 or 2 personally. But all my tanks are also heavily planted which does make a difference.

Alhana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you go with the regular nerite snails I would probably say only get one cause they seem to eat a ton of algae. Even the small horned nerites are algae eating machines. I have 4 in my 20 gallon and I'm always worried they aren't getting enough to eat as I never see algae in the tank. The tank had a bunch of algae before I put them in.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Alhana said:
If you go with the regular nerite snails I would probably say only get one cause they seem to eat a ton of algae. Even the small horned nerites are algae eating machines. I have 4 in my 20 gallon and I'm always worried they aren't getting enough to eat as I never see algae in the tank. The tank had a bunch of algae before I put them in.
Sometimes you have to feed them... And generate some extra algae. One way is a jar with rocks and tank water in the sun. It will grow so.e nice nerite food.

Rebecca Talbott

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I drop a baby carrot in the tank when the algae gets low. The snails love it. They'll nibble for hours at a time.

Alhana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rebecca Talbott said:
I drop a baby carrot in the tank when the algae gets low. The snails love it. They'll nibble for hours at a time.
I'll have to try that, thanks! I've tried cucumber and other things like that but they seem to ignore it. I've been worried they are starving (one did die and my bigger nerite jumped ship) so I've been trying to leave my light on for really long periods in order to actually grow algae.

Rebecca Talbott

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They don't always go to it right away, especially a new snail. Sometimes it takes a day or two. But once they find it they're hooked.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a ten year old Tiger Nerite in an 11 gallon tank. When they are healthy and well fed all you need is one nerite in this sized tank.

You can measure the health of the animal by the size of the foot. Do make sure to get one with a totally undamaged shell if you want it to live a long and healthy life.

I do leave most of the glass untouched but sometimes (once a month) clean the front glass to get a better view as the nerite does not make it crystal clear.

I have not been successful in persuading mine to feed on anything other than algae.

As ze has been alone for many years ze does not lay any eggs.

16.07.02 Zebra Nerite Snail Neritina natalensis Large Hex Aquarium Steve Joul - Copy.JPG Nerite Aquarium Hex Steve Joul 08.10.06 024 - Copy.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads