Nerite Snails Substrate?

Courtney Moreau
Would this tank/gravel be snail friendly?

Attachments

• 15219300206112064935876.jpg
    15219300206112064935876.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 327
varmint
Snails are at home in any kind of substrate. If you have or are getting Nerite snails, make sure you have a piece of driftwood in the tank. Hope this helps.

Puck44
Snails are at home in any kind of substrate. If you have or are getting Nerite snails, make sure you have a piece of driftwood in the tank. Hope this helps.
Why do you need drift wood? Is it ok if it’s a different kind of wood?

boston_mass
Make sure you leave the light on enough so algae grows so the snails can eat, or else you'll have to feed them yourself. That substrate is fine, they will burrow in it occasionally.
20180324_151708.jpg

The Rover
I don’t see any issue with the substrate. I’ve kept nerites on gravel sub so you should be fine.

varmint
Nerites as well as Plecos will chew on driftwood. It can be a different kind of wood, as long as it's boiled to get rid of parasites and can get waterlogged so it will sink.

The Rover
Nerites don’t require driftwood in order to thrive. They just need plenty of biofilm and some algae to feed on.

Wraithen
My nerite is currently mad at me. He spent all his time cruising a green turning Texas holey rock. He has now relegated himself to the driftwood pieces. Driftwood does seem to have a magic ability to grow yum stuff for snails and plecos.

And nerites like algae. Mysteries are the ones that prefer biofilm.

The Rover
Nerites love biofilm as well. They’ll eat it off the glass as well as all of the plant leaves and any hardscape. I’m not saying they wouldn’t love a piece of driftwood but it’s not required in order for them to thrive in a tank. I have 7 in my tank with a large piece of driftwood and they spend more time on the glass and plants than they do on the dw.

Hunter1
My advice is to wait until the tank is established for a couple of months before adding nerites. I usually add a Mystery at one month, Nerite at 2 months.

Not science, just what has worked for me.

Wraithen
Oooh, just saw the marimo ball. I'm not sure if they will eat that or not. Someone else with experience with those will have to pop in.

The Rover
Oooh, just saw the marimo ball. I'm not sure if they will eat that or not. Someone else with experience with those will have to pop in.

No they won’t eat a Marimo ball. Mine have never shown any interest in them.

varmint
I find that the main source of bio-film for Nerites, is the piece of driftwood. It may not be needed for them to thrive, but it sure gives them a lot of easy access to extra bio-film.

The Rover
I find that the main source of bio-film for Nerites, is the piece of driftwood. It may not be needed for them to thrive, but it sure gives them a lot of easy access to extra bio-film.

Don’t necessarily disagree but if someone had a tank with large pieces of other kinds of hardscape like stones or rocks they’d be more than happy to feed on those as well.

I just didn’t want the OP thinking they needed to go out and buy a piece of dw if they want to keep nerites.

varmint
Don’t necessarily disagree but if someone had a tank with large pieces of other kinds of hardscape like stones or rocks they’d be more than happy to feed on those as well.

I just didn’t want the OP thinking they needed to go out and buy a piece of dw if they want to keep nerites.
I agree that the OP doesn't need to get driftwood, in order to keep Nerites. I would just like to point out, that I have Nerites in all my tanks, and they spend most of the time on the driftwood, hence the appearance of the white eggs. The OP is lucky, now he has 2 legit opinions on the matter.

Wraithen
Lol. And almost nobody answered the question after the first one. I've had nerites that hate the sand, and I've had some that I rarely saw because they liked being all bugs bunny

Courtney Moreau
Thank you for all of the comments! I will wait to add the snails and look into some driftwood, what are some other things I can do to promote algae growth in preparation for them?

Wraithen
Leave a light on over the tank for 12 hours a day. Lol. You could also put the tank near a window.

I'm kidding. The amount of algae you would have would be prolific. You may not see it but algae will be readily available in your tank within a month of your cycle. The brown algae, that isn't algae, is diatoms.

Hunter1
Length of light will do it.

boston_mass
Go on Amazon, search digital timers, set it for a 10 hour window to keep your tank light on and forget about it. That would be the best thing you could do in my opinion. Will probably cost $10 bucks or so.

varmint
It's funny, most people try and get rid of algae, and here you are trying to promote it.

Top Bottom